Page 51 of 431 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: The PX4 Compact might be my DA/SA Glock 19

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_ICT View Post
    Even the hammer group pin is gold. Why is the hammer group pin gold?
    Maybe they just TiN'd all the metal parts save barrel and extractor?

The most refined PX4 model ever, made unique through the goldening of the main metallic parts and through the exclusive polishedfinishing(sic).
    Can't tell if Engrish or bot...

So, how difficult is it for the Average Joe to replace the parts on a PX4 Storm Compact as Mr. Langdon has done?

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterM9 View Post
    So, how difficult is it for the Average Joe to replace the parts on a PX4 Storm Compact as Mr. Langdon has done?
    if you don't already have a PX4, I would recommend waiting until the Langdon version is officially unveiled (and priced) at the SHOT show in just a few weeks. The individual parts purchased separately from Beretta and Brownell's add up quickly, you may soon be able to buy the "complete package" for less money and far less time than you could do it on your own. And if the package includes the grip stippling, that is something I don't think I'd be comfortable attempting myself in any event. I'm pretty sure there is a finite limit to the number of do-overs you get when melting the frame polymer.

If, on the other hand, you already own a PX4 and want modify it then the answer depends on your mechanical aptitude. Some people are great tinkerers while others just shouldn't to save themselves massive frustration.

Replacing the hammer spring with one for a Cougar "D" series pistol to lower the D/A pull is the easiest. Pop off the backstrap, press down firmly on the lanyard loop/spring cap and press the through pin out. Let it out slowly. As always, if you value your eyeballs, wear eye protection when messing with compressed springs. Gently yank out the old spring and insert the new one, making sure it goes over both hammer struts, then reassemble. Tools needed are a flat bladed screwdriver to get the backstrap retaining wire out, a punch for the pin and probably needle-nose pliers to get the spring out. If you have not removed the backstrap yet, pay careful attention to the way the retaining wire is oriented when you pull it out. The first few times putting it back together are a PITA.

Removing the the slide stops, replacing the right side with a frame plug and installing the left stealth lever is dead easy. No tools required.

Swapping out the magazine release button for one of the alternatives in the button kit is super easy as well, and takes no more tools than a paperclip. Of course a punch will work even better.

Converting the safety/decocker switch to a decocker only or swapping them out for the decocker-only "stealth levers" is a little more complicated and requires at least a 1/16" punch (preferably a roll pin punch) and hammer. An armorer's block helps out as well. Best practice would dictate replacing the roll pin with a new one, as they are not supposed to be reusable (most people do however). You would probably be smart to at least have one on hand in case the original gets too buggered up to reuse. Better instructions than I am prepared to type out are available at the Beretta forum. I have read of some people becoming so frustrated trying to get the roll pin back in that they gave up and took it to a gunsmith. But realistically, this is something most anyone with appropriate tools can accomplish.

Replacing the sights is either easy if you have an appropriate sight pusher, or quite difficult with the second-most potential for permanently screwing something up if you are planning on drifting them in and out with a brass punch and hammer. Frankly, if you cannot realistically justify the expense of a sight pusher (and probably few can, how often do most of us swap sights), have the sights swapped out by a 'smith. Generally under $50, and some sight sellers will install them as part of the sale.

Stippling the frame: afraid I can't help you out here, although I wish I could. I know it involves a wood burner, an artistic bent, and a willingness to permanently alter your pistol frame, for the better or worse. I have been given the impression that overheating the frame can render some polymers brittle. It is highly recommended that you get ahold of some analogous material (polymer mag body? those backstrap reinforcing inserts they pack with the PX4?) to hone your skills before attacking a frame. You cannot undo melted polymer. An alternative might be Talon Grips. I have used them on other guns and been highly impressed. I have one for my PX4, but haven't installed it yet as I have been experimenting with different hammer springs. You must order the Talon grip based on the backstrap you have installed, and you cannot subsequently remove the backstrap without destroying the Talon grip. There are several companies out there that offer frame stippling services. Their quality probably varies widely, approach with caution and look for reviews. In case you hadn't guessed, this is the improvement which has the most potential to permanently screw up your pistol.

The only other thing I believe Mr. Langdon has done on his PX4s is an "action job" on the internals. I have no doubt this is the reason he has achieved trigger pull weights well under what anyone has been able to match with springs swaps. Mr. Langdon mentioned he was fortunate in that the PX4 was just like the Bereta 92s in that regard. Mr. Langdon is, as I understand it, legendary for his Bereta 92 action work, and I believe he was actually the one tapped to train the gunsmiths at Wilson Combat in the ways and mysteries of the 92 action job. There are inherent risks associated with polishing and honing pistol internals if you do not know precisely what you are doing, such as rendering your gun unreliable or worse yet unpredictably fully automatic. I believe Tamara recently mentioned the previous owner of her newly acquired used Glock 17 had managed to polish the internals of it right into a Glock 18 (a select fire gun). There is a special "competition" hammer group offered by Beretta for the PX4, which is essentially a drop in assembly and includes a reduced rate hammer spring. This is probably the best way to go for the best available DIY trigger pull, unfortunately it does not appear on the Bereta USA website. If I could find detailed instructions for a PX4 action job I might tackle it, but for obvious reasons no one who knows what they are doing is going to post something encouraging who knows what sort of idiot out there to start filing away on their sears and hammers. Or, there is David Olhasso, who I have read very good things about but have no personal experience with.

Overall, the biggest "useability" and "carryability" improvements (stealth levers, larger mag release button, grip tape, hammer spring and gunsmith installed sights) are all pretty easily accomplished by "the Average Joe".

Please keep in mind I've linked to the most commonly used/available sources for these parts, you may be able to find them cheaper and/or more readily available elsewhere!
    Last edited by Rick_ICT; 01-01-2016 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Added links, and a caveat about parts pricing.

if you don't already have a PX4, ....

Stippling the frame: afraid I can't help you out here, although I wish I could. I know it involves a wood burner, an artistic bent,...

Overall, the biggest "useability" and "carryability" improvements (stealth levers, larger mag release button, grip tape, hammer spring and gunsmith installed sights) are all pretty easily accomplished by "the Average Joe".
    From my post at #417 in this thread...
    JTQ wrote,
    The only thing I really want is the better texture on the grip.
    All the other stuff I could probably do myself, or just live with. I don't have the guts or skills to take the wood burner to the gun.
    Last edited by JTQ; 01-02-2016 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    From my post at #417 in this thread...

All the other stuff I could probably do myself, or just live with. I don't have the guts or skills to take the wood burner to the gun.
    Plenty of places that will texture a good for you. I know of one with fast turn around and cheap but good work. Pm me if you want. (I have no affiliation with the guy besides following him on instagram)

Thanks for the offer. I was mostly referring to what I'd like from the factory produced "Langdon Special". All the other stuff seems great, but if the factory skipped all the other stuff and put more texture on the grip, I'd still be happy.

I don't know what it would cost for the Beretta PX4 stippling, but I've seen Bowie Tactical charges $100. I'd probably not spend that aftermarket.

Grab a couple PMags and a woodburner!

Seriously, though; if the gun is not for resale, as long as you plan and use a fabric pencil or soapstone to mark out your borders, go slow and you will be fine. I practiced on a handful of PMags to figure out what the tips would do, what sort of pattern or texture I liked and went from there.

Kill your fear. Have the gun you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

if you don't already have a PX4, I would recommend waiting until the Langdon version is officially unveiled (and priced) at the SHOT show in just a few weeks. [/B]

Good advice!

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterM9 View Post
    Good advice!
    I agree too. I'm going to wait for the Langdon Version too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    I agree too. I'm going to wait for the Langdon Version too.
    Yep.

When I was a kid, sitting around staring at packages under a tree for a couple of weeks prior to Christmas, wondering what might actually come out from under that tree sucked.

Now I'm a 51 year old man, sitting around staring at a laptop a couple of weeks prior to SHOT, wondering what might actually come out from under that tree in Vegas. Feel like a kid again. Still sucks...

User Tag List