Page 41 of 431 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: The PX4 Compact might be my DA/SA Glock 19

Site Supporter
    I prefer the yellow front sights to orange.

I'm colorblind and find yellow/green easier to pick up than orange/red.

Quote Originally Posted by Talking Monkey View Post
    I'm colorblind and find yellow/green easier to pick up than orange/red.
    Is it me or does the Red Green color blind issues seem to be more prevalent than normal here? Is is just pistol forum or the shooting community in general?
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Quote Originally Posted by LangdonTactical View Post
    Is it me or does the Red Green color blind issues seem to be more prevalent than normal here? Is is just pistol forum or the shooting community in general?
    I'm the only color blind guy in my shooting group, but we seem to have a disproportionate number of lefties and cross eye dominant shooters.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I'm the only color blind guy in my shooting group, but we seem to have a disproportionate number of lefties and cross eye dominant shooters.
    I'm colorblind and cross dominant. I'm a special snow flake

For some reason red/green color blindness is becoming more prevalent. I think I read a study where something like 1-8 or possibly even 1-6 males are red/green color blind. There has been a push for sometime to simplify color tests to weed out color DEFICIENT and the actual color blind.

Is it me or does the Red Green color blind issues seem to be more prevalent than normal here?
    Thank goodness computers are not still using MS-DOS or folks wouldn't be able to read the forum. (for those not old enough, MS-DOS was typically green text on a black background)

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Well, color blindness is X linked (i.e. males are more likely to be affected than females as they only have 1 X chromosome, not 2) and pistol-forum (and shooting at large) is largely male. Affects roughly 7% of American males, 0.4% of American females. So probably a selection bias of sorts going on.

I was thinking the same thing. I only personally know one other person who is color blind, and he is completely color blind (very rare) vs. my red/green color blindness. I've been blown away by the number of people responding here who are also color-vision deficient. Had me wondering about the same correlations.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    And as far as numbers, red-green colorblindness among males is almost as common as left-handedness.
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I'm colorblind and cross dominant. I'm a special snow flake
    I'll see your color blindness and cross eye dominance and raise you left-handedness!
    This place is a regular blizzard of special snowflakes. But at least middle-age presbyopia is setting in, so I've got got that going for me, which is nice.

I got a chance to get to the range and try out the orange HD sights. Might as well be painted with invisible ink for me. The factory sights were much easier to pick up (in fact, simply blacking out the rear dots might have been a better option than the orange HDs for me). Yellow HDs and a sight pusher are inbound. Fortunately a coworker has a sub-compact and was comparing it to my compact, and likes the larger gun better. He indicated he would probably trade for a compact, and he isn't color blind, so at least the orange set won't be gathering dust in my workshop.

On the subject of the stealth levers, I have a set of the 92fs style levers coming as well (thanks for the tip). Not sure why they didn't show up for me on the BUSA sight when I ordered the stealth set. I had already read about many people switching right back to the factory levers due to the stealths being darn near impossible to activate without breaking their grip, so I might have tried them first. Although it appears you can only get the stealth slide stop lever as a set with the stealth decocker for some bizarre reason and I am definitely liking the stealth slide stop lever.

I would like to take some training with this pistol this spring, and the idea of having to decock with these tiny levers every time I come off target over the course of 1,000 rounds in a day or two has my thumbs aching already.

While mulling over what to do about the decocking levers, one possible solution occurred to me. The factory safety lever spring is very stout, as it needs to be since it helps prevent accidental safety engagement and aids in quickly deactivating the safety when desired. This high resistance to the levers being swept down is a not-inconsequential portion of the decocking effort (in addition to the decocking lever overcoming the sear spring). However, once the gun is converted to a "G", the safety engagement concerns are gone as worst case scenario the pistol gets decocked and you're back in D/A mode.

The spring appears to have roughly three coils or winds to it. If one were able to eliminate one of the coils, I wonder how much it would reduce the overall effort to decock the pistol? The levers need only a minimal tension to return to their resting position and I would think two coils would be more than sufficient. The only caveat would be that a spring thusly modified should not ever be used in an "F" configuration again. I am thinking about disassembling the lever mechanism and reassembling it for bench testing without the spring in place just to see how much effort the actual decocking alone produces, to see if it would be worth the effort to try modifying the spring. Of course, Brownell's is out of stock on the spring until January, so nothing is getting modified before then. This might make the stealth levers more usable for something other than just not digging into me.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions why this might or might not work?

Rick

I have found that doing the "G" conversion to mine and there being no spring or detent for the safety makes the leavers real easy to activate .
    Rick_ICT if you want to keep it a "F" model I have the spring out of mine and wont be using it, PM me and I can send it your way if you would like to mess with it .
    Last edited by Colt191145lover; 12-05-2015 at 02:28 PM.

User Tag List