Page 292 of 431 FirstFirst ... 192242282290291292293294302342392 ... LastLast
Results 2,911 to 2,920 of 4310

Thread: The PX4 Compact might be my DA/SA Glock 19

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    While I get the desire for an aerosol that one can spray all over a gun for ease of use, I don't get why folks want to use brake cleaner on a gun. Other than getting something to stick, like sight paint or whatever, I don't know why someone would want to take all the lube off a gun.

If one needs an aerosol, there are several CLP products available, and even spray silicone seems like a better idea than brake cleaner.

Never try to diagnose why people who have to carry guns, but don't really want to will do what they do. I come from the world of Brake Cleaner and WD40 firearms "maintenance". Actually getting them to use Break Free....which we bought in mass quantity was hard. It is why I ALWAYS take LE gun issue reports with a grain of salt and like talking to people at the place with an issue first hand.
    Heck, I did an OIS investigation involving an outside agency. I was amazed their Glock 21's even fired because the firing pin channels were stuffed with grease. After talking to the officers I found out that their "Rangemaster" who was a retired Vietnam era Marine, was using the hole on the bottom of the firing pin channel as a grease port and literally filling them with thick grease. I can only imagine him being he same guy complaining about them Glocks always having light primer strikes and failures to fire. A vast majority of the firearms world are in no way shape or form "our people".
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    I think it's more a philosophical difference.

When I'm going to clean them every couple years, I want to blast the shit out of them, detail strip and replace TRS and such, then lube up everything.
    I completely understand the "blast the sxxt out of them". What I don't understand (and other folks can do whatever they want, I'm cool with that), is why take all the lube off the gun. There are dozens of products that would probably clean just as well as break cleaner that won't strip every last micron of lube off an item that is supposed to have lube on it. Breaks shouldn't have lube on them, guns should.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    After talking to the officers I found out that their "Rangemaster" who was a retired Vietnam era Marine, was using the hole on the bottom of the firing pin channel as a grease port and literally filling them with thick grease. I can only imagine him being he same guy complaining about them Glocks always having light primer strikes and failures to fire.
    I had precisely the same experience with a G34 shooter at a range I was running. Constant light strikes. Took him and his pistol off line, detail stripped, and found he was using the drain hole as a grease fitting. At least he was ONLY force-squeezing CLP into that hole... Five minutes of wiping down and wonder of wonders, his Glock ran like a top...

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I completely understand the "blast the sxxt out of them". What I don't understand (and other folks can do whatever they want, I'm cool with that), is why take all the lube off the gun. There are dozens of products that would probably clean just as well as break cleaner that won't strip every last micron of lube off an item that is supposed to have lube on it. Breaks shouldn't have lube on them, guns should.
    And I agree for any normal maintenance it is kind of silly. But if I'm going to detail strip and relube everything anyway, it makes the cleaning part easier. One day I may splurge on a sonic bath machine, but I still have more guns to buy first.

It is also a benefit if you are running a gun with some parts greased vs oiled. The cleaner does a good job of making sure you don't have any detrimental buildup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, all this talk about the awesomeness of the Px4 finally broke me. Just ordered a plain vanilla "G" compact to start playing with. Besides magazines and a holster, is there anything I HAVE to have to make it shootable?

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Well, all this talk about the awesomeness of the Px4 finally broke me. Just ordered a plain vanilla "G" compact to start playing with. Besides magazines and a holster, is there anything I HAVE to have to make it shootable?
    Spend the $6 and install a Wilson 12# Hammer spring. Besides that upgrade as you go if you want.
    Shoot more, post less...

There was talk a while back of a lower profile ambidextrous slide stop, did anything ever come of it?

I shot mine a bunch without anything first, I think the trigger is plenty manageable but the 12# Wilson Combat spring is awesome sauce. The stealth slide release keeps me from riding it and preventing the slide from locking back and the extended mag release makes dropping mags much easier. Stipple as desired. And I blacked out the rear sight and painted the front orange. So far I only have one PX4 compact but I'm saving up to get a Compact Carry mod 0 because it's cheaper in the long run than doing everything I did to my first gun. But that gun was/is an experiment and I learned what I wanted to learn from that gun and will continue to use it for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Av willis View Post
    There was talk a while back of a lower profile ambidextrous slide stop, did anything ever come of it?
    Nope. Making my own and going to have to send them out to be finished.

Psalms144.1
    The common mods are spring (Wilson 12# or Beretta D spring), grips (tape or stipple), safeties/decokers, sights, trigger control group (polish or competition, then past that polish competition model), extended mags, button size, backstrap size for you, and grease the lug verses oil.

You can do the backstraps out of the box. I found shooting it, that I needed the bobbed hammer that EL sells and use the large backstrap (no hammer bite). My preference is the large magazine release button, my tape choice is Grip-on as it leaves access to the pins. I have both low profile and 92 style decockers, and see different reasons for both. I have the CTG in my compacts (going to practice a polish job on an old one, so I don't over polish/too light), as it feels right.
    But take the gun to the range first, choose your handedness (and the mag button) and try the different backstraps, before going further.

It doesn’t need anything. It if you want to improve the trigger you can buy the OEM competition trigger group, competition metal trigger, 12# Wilson Combat spring, Beretta metal guide rod, and slim decocking levers (Beretta has a sale going on, use code PX4SAVE) and/or send it to Robert Burke for action enhancement. He has reduced reset on my pair 50% akin to a Sig SRT.

User Tag List