Page 291 of 431 FirstFirst ... 191241281289290291292293301341391 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,910 of 4310

Thread: The PX4 Compact might be my DA/SA Glock 19

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    Is the NP3 seen as essential or just keep the pistol lubed up? If you need to send it to Robar- which parts do you recommend getting done? Just the barrel?
    I'm no expert but I sent Robar my full sized PX4 and had them do a mod4 facelift. They even NP3'd the hammer. So the trigger and internals are exactly like both my mod 4 CC's. If you go to their website, they have and option to send them your pistol and they will do the mods. Otherwise, I think you would have to do whatever parts you wanted done, e.g. the barrel, ala carte.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    How about everybody dial it back a notch (or twelve). Any further pissing match participants will get a timeout.

Also, this isn’t a forum where you get cool-guy points for saying “fuck” in every post or indirectly referring to people as bitches, so how about we knock that off too.
    My post was not directed at him nor anyone here. People take things personally when they were not directed at them...that’s on them, can’t do anything about that.

My comments were about FUD’s. They’ve never handled X firearm, certainly have not shot it, but they are happy to slander it. I’ve seen Todd’s post on the PX4 repeated ad nauseam on various forums over the years. One single post, and a whole bunch of folks spreading misinformation like wildfire. Next thing you know the platform gets slandered. Owners of said platform kind of get screwed. And it just doesn’t do anyone any good whatsoever.

I’m not here to joust.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Much of the "condition" came from a Todd Green post in 2009:

"As for the PX4, I've seen too many struggle on the line to have much faith in them. I was working at Beretta when it was being designed and we (the LE/mil team) warned them against using that rotating barrel. It was a disaster in the Cougar and while the PX4 system is improved, it still doesn't work as well as the proven tilt-barrel system.

When the members of Beretta's IDPA/USPSA pistol team were told they had to start using the PX4, most of them quit instead. They quit their paid, sponsored positions rather than shoot the gun. Clue.

Last year I had a handful of Canadian LEOs in a class who are issued the PX4 in .40 S&W. They literally had to bring a mallet with them to the class. A mallet? Yeah, I was confused, too. Then every 300-500 rounds of shooting, their guns would jam shut and they had to use the mallet to get the things apart.

I'm far from a Beretta basher. I'd carry a 92G (or better yet, a 92G Vertec) without losing a moment's sleep. But the PX4 was another misstep from Italy."

Don't know about validity, truth, if it was an actual gun issue or maintenance issue, etc. I was simply aware of some discussion. For me, the guns have been reliable as mine are all NP3'd. For what it's worth,being around LEO's with guns does not give me the warm and fuzzy' sin regards to real issues versus self inflicted problems. I figure it is safe to say, the PX4 is a gun that likes being wet. Same thing we saw with a long history with the SiG P series guns. NP3 was very popular at my old agency with the P series guns, and it alleviates any potential issues for guns and systems that seem to work best with a lot of lubrication,
    It certainly didn't help that they were kinda shitty at that time. A few locals had them and couldn't get them to work and couldn't sell them for some time at a loss. Not sure what, if anything, has changed about them and I've poked around a good bit but I have a hard time believing those few posts had that much reach. In most cases I'd bet that the masses would buy them to spite what a trainer said because they don't need none of that, they know how to shoot.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Much of the "condition" came from a Todd Green post in 2009:

"As for the PX4, I've seen too many struggle on the line to have much faith in them. I was working at Beretta when it was being designed and we (the LE/mil team) warned them against using that rotating barrel. It was a disaster in the Cougar and while the PX4 system is improved, it still doesn't work as well as the proven tilt-barrel system.

When the members of Beretta's IDPA/USPSA pistol team were told they had to start using the PX4, most of them quit instead. They quit their paid, sponsored positions rather than shoot the gun. Clue.

Last year I had a handful of Canadian LEOs in a class who are issued the PX4 in .40 S&W. They literally had to bring a mallet with them to the class. A mallet? Yeah, I was confused, too. Then every 300-500 rounds of shooting, their guns would jam shut and they had to use the mallet to get the things apart.

I'm far from a Beretta basher. I'd carry a 92G (or better yet, a 92G Vertec) without losing a moment's sleep. But the PX4 was another misstep from Italy."

Don't know about validity, truth, if it was an actual gun issue or maintenance issue, etc. I was simply aware of some discussion. For me, the guns have been reliable as mine are all NP3'd. For what it's worth,being around LEO's with guns does not give me the warm and fuzzy' sin regards to real issues versus self inflicted problems. I figure it is safe to say, the PX4 is a gun that likes being wet. Same thing we saw with a long history with the SiG P series guns. NP3 was very popular at my old agency with the P series guns, and it alleviates any potential issues for guns and systems that seem to work best with a lot of lubrication,
    I know Todd did not like the PX4. I even asked him to give me specifics about the issues he had seen. Todd never gave me much info and I don't why he did not seem to want to talk about it, and I never will. I miss him often

I have about 150,000 rounds through 6 different PX4s and have yet to have to use a mallet to get one to function. I am not saying it will not happen, as I have had to beat several other guns apart, either when they break or from a bad round. I have had to help many students get bad rounds out of their chambers that they could not clear themselves. So far, never with a PX4.

To be honest, I am not sure why a rotating barrel would be harder to clear a bad round from than a tilting barrel system. It does not make sense to me that it would.

I have personally had a Glock blow up in my hands. Well, maybe blow up is an extream definition. The barrel split in on both sides of the bottom of the chamber and blew the magazine out of the gun and the slide came off of the frame. Also, the extractor went missing altogether. I still have all my fingers and no permanent damage, that I know of, so it really did not blow up.

I am not even close to the only guy this has happened to and I have seen it happen to others on the range. And yet the Glock is still the preferred handgun of the world.

PX4 might need a mallet if you shoot shitty ammo through it...... I will take my chances.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

I guess I'll just get a Mod 0 Compact Carry and keep it lubed then. As much as I'd like to invest in a mod 4 or 5, I can find the O's for $615 vs $1000 for the Mod 4. It's just a lot easier to get into a 0. Which is what I should have bought instead of all the discontinued hipster guns I found over the last month but that's a whole different conversation.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 11-01-2017 at 08:48 PM.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I guess I'll just get a Mod 0 Compact Carry and keep it lubed then. As much as I'd like to invest in a mod 4 or 5, I can find the O's for $615 vs $1000 for the Mod 4. It's just a lot easier to get into a 0. Which is what I should have bought instead of all the discontinued hipster guns I found over the last month but that's a whole different conversation.
    Are PX4s not hipster guns? Ernest and this forum are literally leading a PX4 revival.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Are PX4s not hipster guns? Ernest and this forum are literally leading a PX4 revival.
    They've been the new hottness around here for a while. practically mainstream now. Meanwhile I've been sniffing out P-series Rugers and 3rd Gen Smith's.

Quote Originally Posted by LangdonTactical View Post
    I know Todd did not like the PX4. I even asked him to give me specifics about the issues he had seen. Todd never gave me much info and I don't why he did not seem to want to talk about it, and I never will. I miss him often

I have about 150,000 rounds through 6 different PX4s and have yet to have to use a mallet to get one to function. I am not saying it will not happen, as I have had to beat several other guns apart, either when they break or from a bad round. I have had to help many students get bad rounds out of their chambers that they could not clear themselves. So far, never with a PX4.

To be honest, I am not sure why a rotating barrel would be harder to clear a bad round from than a tilting barrel system. It does not make sense to me that it would.

I have personally had a Glock blow up in my hands. Well, maybe blow up is an extream definition. The barrel split in on both sides of the bottom of the chamber and blew the magazine out of the gun and the slide came off of the frame. Also, the extractor went missing altogether. I still have all my fingers and no permanent damage, that I know of, so it really did not blow up.

I am not even close to the only guy this has happened to and I have seen it happen to others on the range. And yet the Glock is still the preferred handgun of the world.

PX4 might need a mallet if you shoot shitty ammo through it...... I will take my chances.
    Thanks for the post. What would be your advice / experience on the lubrication question? Do they need to stay heavily lubed or light and where?
    Last edited by Redhat; 11-01-2017 at 11:12 PM.

The non-gun folks often had malfunction problems due to guns have about zero lubrication on them. Those also tended to be the "Brake Cleaner" cleaning folks.
    While I get the desire for an aerosol that one can spray all over a gun for ease of use, I don't get why folks want to use brake cleaner on a gun. Other than getting something to stick, like sight paint or whatever, I don't know why someone would want to take all the lube off a gun.

If one needs an aerosol, there are several CLP products available, and even spray silicone seems like a better idea than brake cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    While I get the desire for an aerosol that one can spray all over a gun for ease of use, I don't get why folks want to use brake cleaner on a gun. Other than getting something to stick, like sight paint or whatever, I don't know why someone would want to take all the lube off a gun.

If one needs an aerosol, there are several CLP products available, and even spray silicone seems like a better idea than brake cleaner.
    I think it's more a philosophical difference.

For my training guns and heavy shooters i will only run a snake through them, wipe the breech face and ramp for multiple 1000s of rounds. Lube often. When I'm going to clean them every couple years, I want to blast the shit out of them, detail strip and replace TRS and such, then lube up everything.

I just don't like CLPs. The only one I like the performance of compared to separate cleaner and lube is Breakfree and that stuff is gross.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Tag List