Page 284 of 431 FirstFirst ... 184234274282283284285286294334384 ... LastLast
Results 2,831 to 2,840 of 4310

Thread: The PX4 Compact might be my DA/SA Glock 19

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    I'm quite curious about the subcompacts and would love to hear your thoughts/range report on yours when you get it back
    At close ranges (7 yards), I find I am close to the same size groupings as the compact. Past that, is where the flatter shooting compact shines with tighter groupings for me.
    Size wise, OWB, I could carry either equally well. IWB, I find the subcompact carries better for me, but this may be just a general size/build thing.
    That is just my experience with the subcompacts (obtained before the compact).

Quote Originally Posted by LangdonTactical View Post
    While I agree with Tom, and I think that there are a few situations where a night sight makes a difference. Specifically looking from a dark area into a lighted area. For example, a dark room into a lighted room. Or possibly from around a car where the bad guy is not in the head lights (normally enough reflective light to give you the outline of your sights) but on the edge of the light. Lighted up enough to clearly see him and identify his intent, but not directly in the light. This is the situation where a night sight really " shines" as the sights are just not there.

But this is just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    Ernest, in that situation. do you want the rear sight with tritium vials or is the front sight with a tritium insert sufficient? I’ve always used a tritium rear in combination with the front. Currently using idot pros from Ameriglo on another platform. These are not offered for the PX4. What say thee?
    Interested in this response as well. As I have the Ameriglo's on order now (building my version of your gun), and am paying to have the vials stuck into the rear, after waiting on the Spartan rear for these.
    Also have the Truglo TG231B1W, that I am looking at as the rear's have a .164" gap, so they might be comparable to the Ameriglo rears.
    Where I work and this time of year, I go into and out of the building, into darkness, and the motion sensors don't always activate quickly to illuminate things (they also don't illuminate hiding places/create shadows where someone did commit an armed robbery against us).

While I agree with Tom, and I think that there are a few situations where a night sight makes a difference. Specifically looking from a dark area into a lighted area. For example, a dark room into a lighted room. Or possibly from around a car where the bad guy is not in the head lights (normally enough reflective light to give you the outline of your sights) but on the edge of the light. Lighted up enough to clearly see him and identify his intent, but not directly in the light. This is the situation where a night sight really " shines" as the sights are just not there.

But this is just me.
    This. I once took a low light course on the the indoor range at the Abbotsford range you've been to. The instructor turned off the interior lights and had us at about 7 yards from the targets. The only light source was a light at the entrance to the range and the emergency exit light. Under those lighting conditions, I could see the targets, but I could not see the fibre optic sights I had on my Glock at the time. I just saw a dark blob where my gun was supposed to be. I couldn't shoot any of those evolutions under those specific lighting conditions. With all the other lighting conditions we had on that course; hand held lights, weapon lights, and outdoor stuff, it wasn't a problem.

So I tend to agree with you, you don't need tritium until you need it!
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    Ernest, in that situation. do you want the rear sight with tritium vials or is the front sight with a tritium insert sufficient? I’ve always used a tritium rear in combination with the front. Currently using idot pros from Ameriglo on another platform. These are not offered for the PX4. What say thee?
    So for me, I find that the rear tritium dots are enough of a hindrance in normal shooting that I don't like them on the gun. I prefer a plain black rear sight. The reflections and visual distraction of the rear dots are just not worth the 2% of the time that they might help. The front tritium dot is a different story as long as it has the red/orange color that is bold enough for the 90% of the time that you don't need a night sight at all.

To be clear, I am not disregarding what Tom is saying. There are lots of guys that run FO sights on their carry guns and have very good reasons for that. One could argue that you should already have a white light in your hand or even a WML. I don't currently carry my gun with a WML.

I just have had a few experiences where a non-night sighted gun was like trying to point a black shadow at a target that I could see perfectly.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

I'm quite curious about the subcompacts and would love to hear your thoughts/range report on yours when you get it back
    That post should have said “2010”. That’s the last time I had one until now. I’ve bought three pistols in 20+ years, that straight out of the box really surprised me. My first 229 in 357 in the early 90’s, a Sphinx SDP subcompact, and the PX4 subcompact. 9mm development finally got me off 357sig a few years ago. Specifically the 124gr +P HST. In 2010 I did a T&E with the px4sc, and it shot like a laser for me right out of the box. I was very surprised that the trigger was that good out of the box. At the time I was still carrying Sigs, and I was not ready to leave the 357 caliber at the time. The Bruniton wearing quickly also dissuaded me. Today, I’m not wearing metal on metal pistols. They’re pant saggers, and I lost all respect for Sig Sauer anyhow. The last pistol I purchased from them was a P224 that was a jam-o-matic that went back to Exeter 3 times until I pushed them to ultimately replace it. I sold the replacement quickly. That was my 2nd new pistol in a row with major malfunctions.

The SDP subcompact is an outstanding pistol, but Kriss USA is another matter altogether. I heard they shut down Swiss production and are making it here now. No thanks. They don’t even sell replacement parts, you have to send it to them for anything. Kriss has rubbed a lot of folks the wrong way, especially the well known folks who do lots of CZ trigger work. I didn’t read that on the internet, I made the calls myself.

I live where it is hot and humid, so a platform, for me, starts with a double stack subcompact, cause that is what I carry 8-9 months out of the year. TDA means HK or Beretta for polymers. And HK triggers just aren’t my cup of tea. I’ve had a well known friend tune them up with his trigger work, and the PX4 is still a better trigger, stock, compared to the modded P30 or P2000 HK’s. I’ve owned the P2000, P2000sk, and P30sk. This go around I just had the PX4c and sc shipped directly to him. When I get them back the slides are going straight to CCR for CPII and NS installation. My range report will more be about Robert Burke’s trigger work. The SC is an excellent carry gun. If you read you’ll see lots of newbs buying them because their local fun store sells it as a “safe” pistol because you engage the safety, on top of the DA. Or guys buy them for the wife due to the same safety feature. That and they are inexpensive compared to say a P30 or Sig P series. The smallest PX4 is actually a fantastic pistol. 13+1 is excellent capacity for the size. The teardrops on the frame for finger placement off the trigger are excellent. The trigger is excellent out of the box and the snap down baseplates work like a +0 Pearce extension on a Glock 26. It allows you to get a full purchase on it and really turns it into a Full size pistol imo, because it shoots like one. I’ve never been more surprised at a pistol than the smallest PX4. Like its’ siblings, same deal, severely underrated. With its’ great trigger, shot placement is cake. Recoil was minimal for me. Excited to mod it and get it back in a holster and a few cases of ammo through it. I have tried the last few years to deal with the strikers, and I’m tired of them. They remind me of the auto/dsg/pdk/manual in a car. I still prefer a manual transmission. If you put in the work they are much more rewarding, more satisfying. On a pistol I just feel I have more control over a TDA. Compared to 2010, I can get the holsters I want for the PX4’s, and there is some night sight choices available. In 2010 accessories were limited. The SC is currently not in production because Beretta is busy getting setup in Tennnesee. Their production facility move to a free state has hindered some of their firearm availability. They are supposed to have everything rolling 2nd quarter of 2018. For now if you want one you’ll have to go the used market.

So for me, I find that the rear tritium dots are enough of a hindrance in normal shooting that I don't like them on the gun. I prefer a plain black rear sight. The reflections and visual distraction of the rear dots are just not worth the 2% of the time that they might help. The front tritium dot is a different story as long as it has the red/orange color that is bold enough for the 90% of the time that you don't need a night sight at all.

To be clear, I am not disregarding what Tom is saying. There are lots of guys that run FO sights on their carry guns and have very good reasons for that. One could argue that you should already have a white light in your hand or even a WML. I don't currently carry my gun with a WML.

I just have had a few experiences where a non-night sighted gun was like trying to point a black shadow at a target that I could see perfectly.
    By this, another option would be multiple PX4's (we know you already have them), that you could have the night sights on them for those times it has a higher percentage of being used.

Thanks for the responses regarding the subcompacts. I won't derail the thread any further, but I'll say it seems like a very interesting gun as a TDA replacement for a Glock 26 size gun. I definitely wanna check one out, but have yet to see one in person. Maybe it'll catch on in popularity like the compact seems to be....

While surfing the web, I found that Aim Surplus, has .40 cal full size PX4's for $299.99 these are LEO trade-in's and come with one mag,but the price is hard to beat for you .40 cal fans

Thanks for the responses regarding the subcompacts. I won't derail the thread any further, but I'll say it seems like a very interesting gun as a TDA replacement for a Glock 26 size gun. I definitely wanna check one out, but have yet to see one in person. Maybe it'll catch on in popularity like the compact seems to be....
    Subcompacts are vaporware right now. I think Berretta is still playing catchup with government contracts and the really popular models so they haven't been doing runs of subcompacts.

EL and anyone who bought one of the Robar guns, did anyone have their gun stippled by Robar? I understand that is a service they offer, but would love to see some as they have different levels, and with no pictures or examples to handle, that is hard to consider for a project gun.

User Tag List