Page 28 of 431 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast

Thread: The PX4 Compact might be my DA/SA Glock 19

Quote Originally Posted by azerious View Post
    I will say this from an experience I had with a full size PX4 several years ago that might relate to the last few posts...

I had a full size PX4 that i shot AMAZINGLY well. One day i had it loaded and de-cocked and was taking it out of my holster to put on my work bench and dropped it on concrete in my garage. As i picked it up it was a baby rattle. Turns out the jolt sent the follower/spring into some weird bind and the 3 rounds below the top round in the mag had zero spring pressure and the top round was at a funky angle like the pics above. This made me freak out knowing if i dropped my gun it would potentially jam that bad so i promptly sold it. Now i'm sure all guns can do this, but the ease of which the PX4 did it scared the shit out of me.
    Interesting, especially since the pistol is only as reliable as the magazine that feeds it.

But I've experienced similar magazine SNAFUs in competition with my CZ and Mec-Gar magazines. It's rare - whenever they fall hard and collide just right. It not only turns into a baby rattle but the top round will sometimes nose dive worse than the above pictures. In the end my SP-01 keeps ticking though... I'm over five thousand rounds with only one malfunction (failed primer).
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by guymontag View Post
    Interesting, especially since the pistol is only as reliable as the magazine that feeds it.

But I've experienced similar magazine SNAFUs in competition with my CZ and Mec-Gar magazines. It's rare - whenever they fall hard and collide just right. It not only turns into a baby rattle but the top round will sometimes nose dive worse than the above pictures. In the end my SP-01 keeps ticking though... I'm over five thousand rounds with only one malfunction (failed primer).

yeah they were mec-gar Beretta mags, and i now remember the top round WAS jammed in the magazine at a downward angle....i'm sure i overreacted though, I think it was the same time Todd put out the comments about the mallet on M4C.com and i made up my mind that night. Otherwise it was a FANTASTIC firearm. Strongly looking to get back in the DA/SA game

Quote Originally Posted by azerious View Post
    I will say this from an experience I had with a full size PX4 several years ago that might relate to the last few posts...

I had a full size PX4 that i shot AMAZINGLY well. One day i had it loaded and de-cocked and was taking it out of my holster to put on my work bench and dropped it on concrete in my garage. As i picked it up it was a baby rattle. Turns out the jolt sent the follower/spring into some weird bind and the 3 rounds below the top round in the mag had zero spring pressure and the top round was at a funky angle like the pics above. This made me freak out knowing if i dropped my gun it would potentially jam that bad so i promptly sold it. Now i'm sure all guns can do this, but the ease of which the PX4 did it scared the shit out of me.

Looking back, I might have been a bit over the top, but i remembered at the time some LEO's had issues with magazines binding and failing after being dropped. Keep in mind this was only ONE drop, loaded, chambered, and on concrete....I'm almost 99% positive the gun would have fired one round then jammed had i tried to shoot it at that time.

Now I do not drop my guns all the time so i do not how easy this is to happen for all guns, but it shook my faith. i was ready to sell my G17 for one of these but the post above brought up this previous nightmare
    This happens to almost all double stack magazines. The bullet weights more than the case, so when dropped the right way the bullets push down and either bind the follower or the bullets will bind. Normally this only happens with magazines that are partly loaded, i.e. you do a "speed reload" and when the half loaded mag hits the ground the bullets bind. I have explained this to so many students over the years after they come up to me with a magazine with the bullets all jacked up after it hits the ground with a half dozen bullets loaded. I don't think there is a double stack 9mm mag out there that will not do this as some point or another.

Should not happen with a fully loaded magazine.
    Last edited by LangdonTactical; 09-13-2015 at 07:09 AM.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Unhappy First stoppage with gun #2

So I had my first stoppage with Gun #2 yesterday. Gun stopped just short of lock up and just slightly out of battery. At first I thought i had some kind of broken part as it was close enough into battery that i could pull the trigger, but far enough out that the gun did not fire. (hammer could not get to the firing pin, yeah hammer fired guns )

It was a little tough to get the round out of the chamber to unload and investigate the problem. After looking at the round that came out, it was clear that the stoppage was 100% ammo related.

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  25.8 KB

As you can see, the case on the right is way out of spec. Interestingly, this is my reloads, which means it mostly comes from brass that I have picked up off the ground myself when I shoot factory ammo. So normally every round has already been fired in one of my guns already.

BUT, since I do not have my own range, I must have pick up someone else's piece of brass. The crazy thing is the head stamp says WIN 9mm LUGER, but this is clearly not a case that is in spec for 9mm Luger. Maybe 9x21, but not 9x19.

Shot another 300 rounds after this with no issues. My total with is gun is now well over 9,000 with only this one stoppage.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Site Supporter
    Interesting. I've had this happen to me with an out of spec case with American Eagle.

I likely missed it, but what is the total cost of the parts to modify a factory stock PX4 into a pistol like Mr. Langdon's PX 4 Compact?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    I likely missed it, but what is the total cost of the parts to modify a factory stock PX4 into a pistol like Mr. Langdon's PX 4 Compact?
    not sure but i figure the Cougar spring, G stealth conversions...and stippling....pretty cheap

Site Supporter
    Here is a deal on police trade ins PX4 full size 9mm with night sights $349 with 2 mags and a holster. If I didn't already have a full size I would grab one.
    http://www.barneyspolicesupplies.com...9#.Vfi3tmjD9Ds
    Last edited by Whirlwind06; 09-15-2015 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    Here is a deal on police trade ins PX4 full size 9mm with night sights $349 with 2 mags and a holster. If I didn't already have aa full size I would grab one.
    http://www.barneyspolicesupplies.com...9#.Vfi3tmjD9Ds
    That's my agency's old guns.

JR1572

Quote Originally Posted by JR1572 View Post
    That's my agency's old guns.

JR1572
    Only 764 left in stock.
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 09-15-2015 at 07:52 PM.

User Tag List