Page 2 of 431 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: The PX4 Compact might be my DA/SA Glock 19

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I believe one of the reasons that it's reputation suffers is from Todd's stories of Canadian cops showing up to a class with mallets because it would predictably lock up around 300 rounds. IIRC, there's more than one PD who has noted this issue with the PX4.
    I think you're probably right about the original source of some of the bad reputation for the PX4. I don't know if Mr. Camp was aware of those comments when he wrote his review, but he put 1,000+ rounds through a 9mm PX4 without lube or cleaning.

PX4 9mm http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/s...%20Updated.htm

Quote Originally Posted by TElmer2 View Post
    The mags are affordable which is a plus.
    What are you comparing them to? In my limited searches, they are closer to HK mag prices than Beretta 92/Glock/1911 mag prices.

I never had a Compact, but still have a PX4 full size in 9 and 40. Set up with HD sights, lighter mainspring, low profile G levers, low profile slide stop, intermediate size mag release, JM AIWB. Here are my thoughts on the full size.

First, the positives. They are accurate, have been reliable, good triggers and soft shooting.

Then, the negatives. Grip is slippery, which EL has addressed through stippling. Even the low profile G levers seem sharp, which perhaps could be addressed by dehorning. HD sights regulate on my .40, but hit low on my 9. Slide seems slippery. Magazines feel cheesy compared to the 92 equivalents. Removing pieces to change mainspring feels like someone with my engineering ability designed that part of the system -- way cheesy. Feels big for its size.

Then there is "no love" PX4 rap that owners need to endure, as about every gun forum has condemned them as either the reason the Beretta shooting team quit or the gun that requires a mallet to maintain or both.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    What are you comparing them to? In my limited searches, they are closer to HK mag prices than Beretta 92/Glock/1911 mag prices.
    I have seen them on sale from buds and other places for right at the $30 amount. No, not as cheap as 92 or CZ 75 mags but still cheaper then HK mags of which I'm well aware are slightly steep. At least they aren't as expensive as the CZ P series being more than HK.

While the price of mags is a consideration for me since I have been searching for a new platform I don't try to compare mags to the ubiquitous Glock/1911/B92...it just isn't going to happen due to the popularity and length of service time with those firearms. That's just me though.

From what I have seen just about every mag for a reputable gun is more expensive than the three listed above.

Quote Originally Posted by TElmer2 View Post
    Ok I've been on the search for a reliable TDA to use for carry and games without breaking the bank on spare mags or parts support.

Are they serviceable for basic maintenance such as trigger return springs?
    So far it seems like a really easy gun to work on and Beretta is still supporting this platform. Trigger spring looks pretty stout, so I don't see it needing frequent replacement.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

You piqued my interest when we talked about it at the NRAAM. I had tried one about a year ago and liked the trigger even out of the box.

Any thoughts about using the CT Railmaster on it?
    When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

Thank You for the Review, I though for the longest time I was the only person on this forum that liked the PX4 series pistol. I have been shooting a PX4 of some type for the last 5 years with many thousands of rounds through them. I have been CCWing a PX4 Compact for the last 2 years without issue, matter of fact I just recently set up a Glock 19 to start carrying but got to missing the my PX4 compact and have now grounded the Glock and went back to the PX4 .
    Great Pistols, Very Under Rated.
    I'm really considering the Trijicon HD's myself

Great review. I've been on the fence on one for quiet some time. This may push me over.
    Looking forward to training in September!

Perhaps an unfair comparison, but after experiencing several fairly spectacular fails with the PX4's immediate predecessor, the conceptually similar Cougar (in my case, an 8357), and having several superbly performing Gen 3 Glock 19s, going to a PX4 is not showing up in my crystal ball of foreseeable purchases. Nevertheless, I appreciate Ernest Langdon's objective approach; hopefully he'll have continued good results with it.

Best, Jon

The PX4 full sized was my first Beretta. I wish I could get the compact, but I'm in Kommiefornia, and it isn't on the roster of safe handguns (really???). I really like the PX4. I added the stealth levers, and was able to source a "D" spring from a Cougar. Didn't know that you could use a WC 12lb spring. I haven't had a single issue with the PX4 in over 1000 rounds fired so far.

I also have a 92G-SD with a WC 14lb Chrome-silicon hammer spring. I seem to shoot both pistols equally. I think that the PX4 trigger feels marginally better than the 92G-SD, but it's close. The 92 is definitely the prettier pistol, IMO. I'm glad to have both pistols, and both are keepers for me.

I'd love to see WC start selling parts and upgrades for the PX4- Beretta is often out of stock. It took me quite a while to get the stealth levers from Beretta. Surely WC can make their own version of the "stealth" levers, and perhaps market the 12lb spring for the PX4. Or, how about different designs for the adjustable grips? Maybe having an aftermarket source could help with the popularity of the pistol.

User Tag List