Page 1 of 431 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The PX4 Compact might be my DA/SA Glock 19

The PX4 Compact might be my DA/SA Glock 19

The newest handgun on my radar screen is the Beretta PX4 Compact. I’ve never really given it a second thought even though it has been out and available for years. Some people really love the PX4. Some people don’t. I have heard great things about its accuracy and there are still a few police departments carrying the PX4 as their issued side arm. That being said, why is it a gun that almost no one considers a personal carry option?

I started asking myself this when I was working in the Beretta booth at the NRA Show this year. I was talking to customers about the new handguns from Beretta, like the M9A3, Wilson Combat Brigadier Tactical, and the full 90 series product line. I am fully familiar with all of them, but I was contemplating getting a smaller gun for daily carry. I carry the full-size M9A1 now and while I have become accustomed to it, summer was right around the corner and I wanted something smaller and lighter.

Of course, most would say “get a 92 Compact” and while that was an option, there were a few things that have stopped me from carrying it full-time:
    1) No front sight options. You get what you get unless you send it off to Tool Tech and have a night sight put in. No front dove tail!
    2) No G model available, or at least not currently. Of course, I could send it down to Wilson Combat and have it converted, but that’s an added cost.
    3) 13 round magazines. Not a big deal, but in my opinion, a gun that size should have 15 rounds of 9mm.
    4) Hard for me to load with the standard mag. I can do it really well with a full size mag in the compact gun, but a quick reload with the standard 13 round mag often ends up with some of my skin between the frame and floor plate of the magazine. The grip on the 92 Compact is about a ¼ of an inch too short for my hands.

So, this brings me to the PX4. I started playing with the PX4 Compact and realized it had the features I was looking for in a smaller, lighter compact carry gun. The PX4 also has has 15 round mags (17 with extension), dove tail front and rear sights, the safety converts to a G configuration easily and it has the same manual of arms as my full size 92s. Most importantly, I can load it full speed without catching the heal of my hand with the magazine floor plate. Not to mention, the trigger is smooth and shootable out-of-the-box.

The PX4 was feeling like a great option, but there were some other factors to consider. Right off the bat, those huge safety levers! They were way too big for my liking and have some really sharp edges on them. The ambi slide stops are bigger than they need to be and seem to make the gun wider than it should be.

So I started asking the questions…
    Ernest: What about those huge safety levers?
    Beretta: “We make stealth levers that are much smaller. ”
    Ernest: Really? What about those huge ambi slide stops?
    Beretta: “We make a smaller single side one.”
    Ernest: Really? What about that really little mag button?
    Beretta: “We sell a kit with three different size buttons.”
    Ernest: Really?

I mean why did I not know this stuff? I consider myself a gun guy and a Beretta guy, but I did not really know anything about the PX4 at all. I knew the safety lever could be converted to G and that it was a rotating barrel design like the Cougar, but that was really about all I knew.

So, when I got back from the show I continued looking into the PX4 with more detail and finally broke down and picked one up from my favorite gun shop, Virginia Arms in Manassas. I drove straight to the range to make sure I wasn’t going to have buyer’s remorse. I put 200 rounds through it right out of the box. Easy to shoot, very flat shooting for the size and weight. (Surprisingly flat shooting, actually). It also hit to point of aim and was very, very accurate!

I liked it, but, of course, I was headed home to take it apart and swap out the hammer spring to a 12 pound chrome silicon spring for the 92 (thanks to Bill Wilson for that tip - he likes them too). The DA pull weight decreases quite a bit and I decided to start the 2,000 round-test with this thing. I clean it, lube it, black out the rear sight and add some orange paint to the front dot, slip a piece of bicycle inner tube over the grip and we’re off to the races.

2,040 rounds later and I had no issues; so, 2,240 total at this point and I’m liking my decision so far. (Shot 147 SXTs, 147 grain reloads, 115 AE, 147 AE, 124 AE, 124 Winchester FMJ, 115 grain WinClean, and even some 90 Grain Frangible stuff.) Not a single malfunction.

So, now what? If I am going to carry this thing there are some things that need to be addressed. To start with, I need those “Stealth Levers” I was told about. A call to my buddy Eric Stern at Beretta had those sent my way. I also ordered up as set of Trijicon HD sights and a holster from Custom Carry Concepts. When the sights came in, I did a little bit more trigger work (it’s basically just like a 92 in that respect - lucky for me). I also did a little stipple work on the frame (got rid of the inner tube) and changed out the smaller magazine button for the medium mag button to make it slightly larger.

So here I am, a couple months later and many trips to the range, and I really like this gun. Not kidding! It is almost exactly the same size as a Glock 19, the trigger is now under 7 pounds DA and right at 4 pounds SA. I really like the Trijicon HD Sights. In fact, I now have over 4,000 rounds through this gun with no problems. The only failure I have had with the PX4 was in firing with the 115 WinClean, but it went bang on the second hammer strike by pulling the trigger again. (I don’t blame the gun for that, however, as I have seen lots of FTFs with WinClean.) I like it so much that I am carrying it all the time now and used it to qualify as my off-duty carry gun with the Sheriff’s Department.

I have two more PX4’s that I am playing around with and changing things up to see how it performs with different features. I have modified another one, which also has Trijicon HDs, “Stealth” levers, medium mag button, stippling on the grip, G conversion, and more aggressive trigger work. The DA on this one is just over 6 pounds and the SA is 3.5 pounds. I only have about 300 rounds through this gun, but so far, it is just as good as the other one and the better trigger makes it more fun to shoot. I now have one to carry and one to practice with.

I am going to use the third PX4 as a gun to experiment with to see what can really be done with the trigger. So far it has been really easy to get the DA down and I think I can go a lot lighter on the hammer spring with a bit more work. I would not be surprised to get a sub 6 pound DA on this third gun with 100% reliability if I set it up correctly – I’ll keep you posted.

All-in-all, I don’t know why this gun is not way more popular. If you are like me and prefer a DA/SA Traditional Double Action gun for carry, this is a great option. I carry AIWB, therefore, I prefer an external hammer gun – this PX4 is treating me well.

Here are a few comparison photos for you:

Name:  PX4 8.jpg
Views: 35307
Size:  51.2 KB

Name:  PX4 6.jpg
Views: 25454
Size:  27.4 KB

Name:  PX4 7.jpg
Views: 25100
Size:  30.8 KB

Name:  PX4 4.jpg
Views: 29785
Size:  50.2 KB
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Thanks for the review. This is probably something Beretta really needed, as it often seems the really knowledgeable shooters are often critical of the PX4, for whatever reason. This forum has always seemed like one of the harshest as a whole to the PX4. I've seen some positive comments from Bill Wilson over the years on the PX4, and the late Stephen A. Camp had a couple of good reviews on his site a few years back. On most forums, the "regular folk" seem to like them, but you see most of the typical forum "heavyweights" suggest something else.

I've not owned one, but it does seem to have a lot of features I like, and does have a certain smooth elegance missing on a lot of the other polymer guns.

After shooting Ernest's PX4 Compact, I've been lusting after one. Incredibly flat shooting and accurate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just curious...doesn't the PX4 take 92 mags?

Quote Originally Posted by TElmer2 View Post
    Just curious...doesn't the PX4 take 92 mags?
    Nope, it has its own magazines.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Name:  PX4 3.jpg
Views: 24696
Size:  13.3 KBName:  PX4 2.jpg
Views: 24579
Size:  13.3 KB

Side by side with and without the "Stealth Levers"
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Ok I've been on the search for a reliable TDA to use for carry and games without breaking the bank on spare mags or parts support.

Are they serviceable for basic maintenance such as trigger return springs?

No experience with the compact, but I shot the fullsize on a few different occasions for a few hundred rounds. I always thought it was a very nice pistol and a fine choice, if one keeps on top of keeping it cleaned and lubed.

I believe one of the reasons that it's reputation suffers is from Todd's stories of Canadian cops showing up to a class with mallets because it would predictably lock up around 300 rounds. IIRC, there's more than one PD who has noted this issue with the PX4.

Besides that, it's a fantastic choice for a recoil sensitive shooter. Probably one of the softest shooting gats out there next to the classic SIGs.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    No experience with the compact, but I shot the fullsize on a few different occasions for a few hundred rounds. I always thought it was a very nice pistol and a fine choice, if one keeps on top of keeping it cleaned and lubed.

I believe one of the reasons that it's reputation suffers is from Todd's stories of Canadian cops showing up to a class with mallets because it would predictably lock up around 300 rounds. IIRC, there's more than one PD who has noted this issue with the PX4.

Besides that, it's a fantastic choice for a recoil sensitive shooter. Probably one of the softest shooting gats out there next to the classic SIGs.

I'll have to do more research on the "mallet" issue.

The mags are affordable which is a plus. It will be interesting to see if the PX4 will see a "resurgence" of popularity like the 92 has recently.

Site Supporter
    One other thing I liked about the px4 is how well it mimic'd the controls and ergonomics of the 92

User Tag List