Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dedicated 1911 Category?

Site Supporter

Dedicated 1911 Category?

What are your opinions on PF having a dedicated 1911 category within the Semi-Auto Pistol category? I guess that could lead some people to clamor for having dedicated manufacturer categories, which may or may not lead to a smelly bucket of dead fish!

I don't think it warrants it. Gun culture, and PF specifically has a track record of having an "in" action type or model that changes periodically.

Just because 1911/2011 is trending up doesn't mean it needs it's own space.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    There’s more than a few websites devoted to the type. I’ve always seen this website as viewing the weapon as a means to an end, not necessarily concentrating on an individual model.

My opinion.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

As part of teh 1911 enthusiast here, I haven't really seen enough post on the topic to rate its own category.
    Most of the main stuff is covered in the two or three threads currently running.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

But... but... but... I want to talk about what wonderful weapon my Kimber Ultra is. I mean, I have almost one hundred trouble free rounds through it.

There are dedicated 1911 forums that you can join that should satiate your need to read and discuss 1911 stuff.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Never had an issue talking about any 1911 under the "semi-auto" sub-form, which the gun is.

And this place is more about pistols in general than one make or model vs the rest.

The 1911 is my favorite pistol… but I know it’s not the answer to everything and everyone and like the iconic 1851 Navy of Hickok’s day… Billy the Kid’s Lightning (or Thunderer… not sure), the lever gun, and the M1 Garand, in many ways the 1911s time as the most appropriate tool is passing.

I still carry one a lot, but not because I think it’s the best tool… but because I really like them and while maybe having drawbacks I’m still better armed than most.

I like that here we still talk equipment, and there’s a level of polite “you do you” with less dogmatic “god’s gun”, “all fall to hardball”, and “John Browning would have” drivel. I also like that the forum is a bit more geared towards being good. People who focus too much on the equipment (including those who have let modern technology pass them by) tend to defend it and make excuses for not being good.

All that to say I’m glad this forum doesn’t focus as much on the specific tools.

I’ve been a 1911 carrier since 2002 when our newly elected Sheriff approved them for duty use. Since retiring I’ve continued carrying a 1911 the majority of the time. I visit some of the 1911 specific forums and even though I’m not real active here I enjoy it the way it is. Of course if there was a 1911 specific area it would give the haters a place to complain about the 1911’s shortcomings. By the way I’m about 8K rounds through the ULCC I’ve carried the past 7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    There’s more than a few websites devoted to the type. I’ve always seen this website as viewing the weapon as a means to an end, not necessarily concentrating on an individual model.

My opinion.
    This, absolutely. A skilled shooter can make anything work. It's nerdy fun to discuss the esoteric details of various pistols, but none of that spells success or failure.

User Tag List