Page 380 of 385 FirstFirst ... 280330370378379380381382 ... LastLast
Results 3,791 to 3,800 of 3844

Thread: The PX4 Compact might be my DA/SA Glock 19

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidesaddle Cavalry View Post
    I've struck gold! The backorder I made for the barrel is supposed to ship out sometime in mid-August, according to Brownell's. Hopefully the world stays in one piece until then!

Where I ordered: https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...rod131832.aspx

Might be worth it for someone else to inquire about whether or not some of the other rare stuff is coming too, like the 9mm extended barrel for the fullsize, for example.
    Oof...at 2/3rds the cost of what I have into the gun itself, as much as I'd like that barrel, I'm not sure that juice is worth the squeeze..

My views on the barrel length, without being in on the design.

Makes less sense on the compact or subcompact for concealment.
    The only silencer design that worked with them, never came to market (remembering something about the patent/rights, being bought up by some company, via discussion on Beretta forum).

Makes more sense on the full size, especially if you look through PX4 storm trackers, .45 post (ammo dirtying up the front sight).

Front sight social distancing

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    ...Makes more sense on the full size, especially if you look through PX4 storm trackers, .45 post (ammo dirtying up the front sight).
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....n-usage/page10 post 98

I, too, do quite like the idea of distributing the muzzle blast further away from the slide itself - there's much more to extended barrels than just the option for threading a dubiously-attached compensator!

Quote Originally Posted by obremski View Post
    Oof...at 2/3rds the cost of what I have into the gun itself, as much as I'd like that barrel, I'm not sure that juice is worth the squeeze..
    Wow, please send pics one day after yours arrive. I just wish they were $100-$150 cheaper though, especially if I was to have it shortened and crowned. If I measured correctly, it will extend out beyond the existing barrel something like this, right? Does the rotating barrel design work well with a can? I thought I had heard the .45 version was supposed to be threaded for the military. It actually doesn't look all that different from the Px4 Storm SD Type F though we are looking at a compact vs a full-size. Instead of a difference of roughly .668", the SD .45's barrel is .4" longer than the standard (4.1" vs. 4.5").

Name:  IMG_2129.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  71.2 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 10.18.35 PM.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  29.8 KB
    “There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance – that principle is contempt prior to investigation.” – Herbert Spencer

My views on the barrel length, without being in on the design.

Makes less sense on the compact or subcompact for concealment.
    The only silencer design that worked with them, never came to market (remembering something about the patent/rights, being bought up by some company, via discussion on Beretta forum).

Makes more sense on the full size, especially if you look through PX4 storm trackers, .45 post (ammo dirtying up the front sight).
    I agree to a point (e.g. extending the barrel .668"), but many holsters can certainly accommodate an extra .2"-.4" or more just the way they are. In which case a 3.6" or 3.7" would oftentimes make no appreciable difference concealing in my opinion. My Dara holster, however, leaves absolutely no room, but many other holsters I have would be unaffected by a modest bump in barrel length.
    “There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance – that principle is contempt prior to investigation.” – Herbert Spencer

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Wow, please send pics one day after yours arrive. I just wish they were $100-$150 cheaper though, especially if I was to have it shortened and crowned. If I measured correctly, it will extend out beyond the existing barrel something like this, right? Does the rotating barrel design work well with a can? I thought I had heard the .45 version was supposed to be threaded for the military. It actually doesn't look all that different from the Px4 Storm SD Type F though we are looking at a compact vs a full-size. Instead of a difference of roughly .668", the SD .45's barrel is .4" longer than the standard (4.1" vs. 4.5").
    Traditional threading still has its problems with that rotating barrel. However, I don't think anyone's ever tried a ratcheting or axial lug-based mounting solution with it yet...

Disclaimer, not my image. This image is from a 2010 Beretta catalog, and shows the silencer that they were planning.

Name:  PX4suppressed.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  92.7 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidesaddle Cavalry View Post
    Traditional threading still has its problems with that rotating barrel. However, I don't think anyone's ever tried a ratcheting or axial lug-based mounting solution with it yet...
    FWIW, there's a video of Mike Pappas (at the time, at Silencerco) shooting a PX4 with an Osprey on it. I'm not sure if they went metric left handed or US right handed with the threads (iirc they went US right handed over the fear that it would lock up the threads/not be able to remove the can if they went metric left handed but I could be misremembering), but when they shot it, they said the can kept moving/rotating and not staying put, and that was the end of that. Maybe metric threading would have solved that issue? ...and maybe made the can unremoveable without fixtures and wrenches..

I've also read some threads on the internet (so we know they're %100 factual) of people running normal cans but with plumber's silicone tape on the threads to prevent the can from moving during recoil/rotation.

There's info out there that Gemtech was contracted by Beretta to come up with a mounting solution, and they did come up with a working rotating LID that functioned as you would expect it to on a PX4 rotating barrel...and then Beretta shelved it, taking their IP home. So while Gemtech did it, Beretta owns the data, and Gemtech couldn't make it without their say-so. That's a very broad-strokes remembrance of the threads from silencertalk.com though.

Disclaimer, not my image. This image is from a 2010 Beretta catalog, and shows the silencer that they were planning.

Name:  PX4suppressed.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  92.7 KB
    nice! Would be kind of interesting now to see what that muzzle device lug would look like with a hybrid 9mm compensator on it

Quote Originally Posted by obremski View Post
    FWIW, there's a video of Mike Pappas (at the time, at Silencerco) shooting a PX4 with an Osprey on it. I'm not sure if they went metric left handed or US right handed with the threads (iirc they went US right handed over the fear that it would lock up the threads/not be able to remove the can if they went metric left handed but I could be misremembering), but when they shot it, they said the can kept moving/rotating and not staying put, and that was the end of that. Maybe metric threading would have solved that issue? ...and maybe made the can unremoveable without fixtures and wrenches..

I've also read some threads on the internet (so we know they're %100 factual) of people running normal cans but with plumber's silicone tape on the threads to prevent the can from moving during recoil/rotation.

There's info out there that Gemtech was contracted by Beretta to come up with a mounting solution, and they did come up with a working rotating LID that functioned as you would expect it to on a PX4 rotating barrel...and then Beretta shelved it, taking their IP home. So while Gemtech did it, Beretta owns the data, and Gemtech couldn't make it without their say-so. That's a very broad-strokes remembrance of the threads from silencertalk.com though.
    I think I might have caught a few of those tidbits you found earlier, too. With almost no knowledge of mechanical engineering, I'm wondering if shallow grooves cut into the front of the barrel (down its length) could secure a muzzle device for rotating barrels, kind of like an extractor but facing the opposition direction?

User Tag List