Page 255 of 431 FirstFirst ... 155205245253254255256257265305355 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,550 of 4310

Thread: The PX4 Compact might be my DA/SA Glock 19

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My sense is they will tolerate a lot of dirt, but need to be run wet.

The Compact is amazing in that it is about P30SK in size, but shoots as well or better than many full size service pistols.
    Prior to the pics I posted tonight I hadn't lubed it in ~1600 rounds. Was getting a little dry so I applied some before the practice session. I bet I could make it to 3,000 without issue. But why bother? I might not clean mine often but I do make sure to lubricate them if necessary. What I would really like to see is how it runs when exposed to some...elements. Not sure how the rotating barrel would fare when exposed to dirt, sand, etc.
    Shoot more, post less...

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My sense is they will tolerate a lot of dirt, but need to be run wet.
    Correct in my experience. I keep the lug and lug channel on my PX4 fullsize well greased with TW-25B, and it doesn't blink when it gets grimy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Prior to the pics I posted tonight I hadn't lubed it in ~1600 rounds. Was getting a little dry so I applied some before the practice session. I bet I could make it to 3,000 without issue. But why bother? I might not clean mine often but I do make sure to lubricate them if necessary. What I would really like to see is how it runs when exposed to some...elements. Not sure how the rotating barrel would fare when exposed to dirt, sand, etc.
    I tend to agree with you about the sand and dirt thing. Not sure how to really test that in a fair way. My guns get exposed to a fair amount of sand out here in AZ with this enviroment, but not an over the beach kind of exposure, i.e. sand dumped on the gun.

For most people that should not really be an issue unless you plan on doing beach assaults. There is a reason that military holsters had a flap that covered the gun for most of the history of handguns. Only recently did they get away from that design.

That said, many guns have issues there. Just depends on where the sand and dirt gets. If it gets into the locking mechanism of any gun, you will likely have issues until you get some of that gunk out of the gun. Glocks, for example, can have issues with sand getting up through that hole behind the magazine well. That leads straight to the firing mechanism and can cause all kind of issues there. The reason almost everyone runs some kind of plug in that spot.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

I'm mainly curious because I typically always carry a handgun on my person when I hunt, and when I duck hunt (90% of my hunting), I carry it in the front pouch of my chest waders. And it never fails that I top my waders at least 2-3 times a season. Just happens. And when it does, everything gets soaked/submerged. Sometimes it's silty swamp water or sometimes it's in a salt marsh on the backside of the Outerbanks. I might try testing one of my PX4s in some silty water to see how it works. That's about the only time I could see dunking my gun.

FWIW, my Beretta A400 Xtreme has been dunked/dropped in the water several times...and it's never failed to fire even when mucky swamp water in its action. I expect the same for whatever pistol I carry. This might be the one instance where I'll choose to carry a Glock over a Beretta, only for the fact that it's SO easy to detail strip, which is important, especially if it gets dunked in salt water.
    Shoot more, post less...

Anyone pick one up from the $399 GunsMidwest listing that was brought up on 5/21? (post 2240)

Quote Originally Posted by LangdonTactical View Post
    That said, many guns have issues there. Just depends on where the sand and dirt gets. If it gets into the locking mechanism of any gun, you will likely have issues until you get some of that gunk out of the gun. Glocks, for example, can have issues with sand getting up through that hole behind the magazine well. That leads straight to the firing mechanism and can cause all kind of issues there. The reason almost everyone runs some kind of plug in that spot.
    I've had the misfortune of dumping my G19 into the beach-sand berm at my local PD range once. Even with a plug, enough sand got into it that it was deadlined. Sand between the trigger bar and connector is a bad thing. Sand jamming into the guts of the RSA is a bad thing.

Having said all that, I agree that the number of folks who have to worry about that particular issue are probably very few...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I've had the misfortune of dumping my G19 into the beach-sand berm at my local PD range once. Even with a plug, enough sand got into it that it was deadlined. Sand between the trigger bar and connector is a bad thing. Sand jamming into the guts of the RSA is a bad thing.

Having said all that, I agree that the number of folks who have to worry about that particular issue are probably very few...
    Well put and exactly the point. To much sand with shut down any gun. Thanks for the feedback.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

I found you are worried about the gun jambing then it might not be a bad idea to keep a higher strength hammer spring installed.

One of the big draws to the guns that have been through Robar is that the NP3 treatment is a huge help on the lubrication side. It makes the gun basically always wet and having actual lubrication on them is a bonus.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I'm at about 90 plus days of running the PX4CC as my primary. It is usually carried concealed & exposed to a lot of high pH sweat. I can rust anything! I noticed about a month ago that my mag release was getting stiff & gritty. Popped the release out & found a healthy amount of brown muck on the mag release spring and in it's well. Cleaned it up & put a little oil on it - prob solved. Couple weeks later & the same symptoms developed. This time I used grease & ordered a couple replacements from Brownells (that I'm still waiting on). I've kept pretty close attention to this thread but I missed it if anyone else has encountered the same problem.

User Tag List