Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee. Java. Joe.

We have a Keurig, and it's usually how we make our coffee. Our work schedules are enough out of sync that a pot of coffee would get dumped. (Reheating coffee in the microwave is... bad.)
    The Keurig's versatility is ideal, since you can make tea or hot chocolate or other frou-frou drinks. We found the My Cap products which allow you to reuse a K-Cup, and eventually realized that the mesh cup used by Safeway and other after-market manufacturers is more durable and probably more eco-0frindly than the original plastic cup with paper filter.

Yes, if you have time to savor your coffee, grinding beans and immediately making a pot of French Press, preferably keeping it in a vacuum flask as AB says in the video I shared above, makes the best pot.

Not everyone has time to do that. (I leave for work at 0200...)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Second the Keurig with the mesh cup - no better way to make a decent cup super quick.

Awesome, thanks for the info on the french presses. Anything is better than the water bottle instant I made in Afghanistan while doing route interdiction... We used to get loads of Starbucks instant sent to us but had no way to heat water bottles besides the heaters in our vehicles and the exhaust of the LAV's.... Wasn't perfect but 5 minutes in front of the heater and two things of instant coffee usually made a warm drink that reminded us slightly of home. Guessing the french press will be way moooo better

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the info on the french presses. Anything is better than the water bottle instant I made in Afghanistan while doing route interdiction... We used to get loads of Starbucks instant sent to us but had no way to heat water bottles besides the heaters in our vehicles and the exhaust of the LAV's.... Wasn't perfect but 5 minutes in front of the heater and two things of instant coffee usually made a warm drink that reminded us slightly of home. Guessing the french press will be way moooo better
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I used to hate coffee. Then I discovered the only coffee worth drinking is well made espresso.

Alex Duetto makes a great machine: http://www.clivecoffee.com/product/i...-duetto-3.html. We also like the Expobar Brewtus IV, as it is almost the identical machine for a bit less: https://www.wholelattelove.com/produ...vibration-pump

The key to decent espresso is getting a good grinder. At minimum something like the Baratza Virtuoso Preciso: https://www.wholelattelove.com/produ...coffee-grinder. Even better is something like the Quamar M80 or equivalent: http://www.coffeewishes.com/quamar-m...lectronic.html.

Also need some freshly roasted, high quality, preferably organic beans...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Espresso is the next venture for me.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Espresso is the next venture for me.
    Nuova Simonelli Nuova Simonelli Talento Espresso Machine , accept nothing less.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    thats pretty funny. I liked hot main meals... so I made the sacrifice.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    No automatic crap.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    Good coffee - like a lot of things, making coffee is easy to do, but doing it well takes some technique and practice. Thankfully, unlike a lot of things, the technique is easy, and the practice and time commitment is minimal. There are a million ways to make coffee; this is how I do it.

Supplies you need: a French press, a grinder, and decent quality beans. I also like an electric kettle. This is the French press I use:

I buy beans from Sam's or Costco. You do not need $25/lb coffee. Bad technique ruins good coffee, good technique makes decent coffee good.

Start heating the water. The French press comes with a scoop. I put four scoops of beans in the grinder. I use a blade grinder and pulse and shake it until I get a consistent course ground. That goes in the press. Your water should be boiling at this point. Take it off the heat and just cover the grounds with water. Let it sit for 30 seconds; the grounds will fizz and bubble. This is good because chemistry. Swirl or stir the grounds and add the hot water. Let it steep for 4 minutes while you make your cornflakes. Then press and pour. Total time, including cornflakes, is about 10 minutes.

The coffee will be light and almost sweet and *good*. You can add more coffee or a darker roast if you want more body, etc. Play around until you find what you like. It doesn't take long and I think it's worth it - beats the hell out of the choice of watery Aramark or sweatsock Starbucks we have at work.
    This man knows of what he speaks. I use a burr grinder instead of a blade.

User Tag List