Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast

Thread: Coffee. Java. Joe.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    To each his own, but despite a love of coffee that surpasseth understanding, making proper espresso at home is too little juice for the squeeze. Machines are too expensive, daily grinding is too messy, shot-to-shot time is too great (I drink 3 espressos before I leave the house for the gym, in the 15 minutes between sheets and door, and doing that with a steam press wouldn't leave any time for shitposting).

Nepresso is /highly/ dependent on blend, and of course is only so good -- but the poster to whom I am responding is trying to recreate an espresso experience by drip brewing harder-- no offense -- and I think he'd enjoy the output.

Nepresso cups can be loaded by your favorite local roaster, as I have done, with precisely the blend you like. It has a learning curve -- the coffee is highly compacted, which of course makes it not want to brew -- but it can be done.
    I may be too far down the coffee hobby rabbit hole to veer off from being a full blown snob.

Good espresso machines are certainly expensive. Basic beginner machines are Glock money, while full on enthusiast machines are Wilson Combat money heading towards supergrades quickly. But like most things espresso machines are a get what you pay for situation. Most hobbyists are chasing quality in the cup. Being able to control all of the variables of the machine in brew temp, dose size, and pressure throughout the shot process are critical to maximizing the output across a broad range of coffees.

Grinding freshly roasted, but not too fresh, beans goes a LONG ways to improving the quality in the cup. Ground coffee goes stay MUCH faster than beans stored properly. Also being able to adjust your grind as the beans age is hugely helpful. Daily grinding can be messy depending upon the grinder being used. One big help can being using the RDT method shown here to account for the static.

https://www.wholelattelove.com/blogs...sette-grinders

Using this method with my current single dose grinder I lose less than 0.1 of a gram from bean to fresh grounds. The same trick works for all grinders, but not all grinders are optimized to reduce retention.

Shot to shot time and out right convenience are certainly where the Nespresso shines. I am not pressed for time in the mornings any longer, but when I was rushing through the morning process weighing out the next mornings dose, or doses, into small airtight mason jars meant I could walk up to a hot machine, grind, and pull straight away. It will likely never be as fast as the Nespresso, but for me the juice was worth the squeeze.

Another option for espresso like coffee would be an Aeropress with or without the Prismo attachment discussed here.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....eemakers/page4

My wife and I are hooked on this:

https://christopherbean.com/jamaica-me-crazy/

I'm a black coffee, no sugar, no nuttin' guy, so I didn't think that I'd like it.
    It's a rich robust blend, and while you can indeed smell the ever so slightest hint of 'caramel' when you smell the beans, it certainly doesn't present as a flavored coffee.....just a robust, smooth semi dark cup of 'Oh, yeah'....
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by Jakus View Post
    I may be too far down the coffee hobby rabbit hole to veer off from being a full blown snob.
    Naw, you’re a piker. My supply chain manager has a side hustle roasting. He and his partner just upgraded their... [sorry, mind wandered at this point]... anyway they’re selling a couple hundred pounds a week now. He does my three roasts (French roasted Peruvian for my pour overs, yirgacheffe for my wife’s drip, and skooonky Italian roasted blend for the nepresso).
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Naw, you’re a piker.
    That’s a bold claim coming the Nespresso lover.

Jakus, that Gaggia Classic Pro is calling my name...I’ve been looking for a non-sucky espresso machine with a wand in that price range. Thanks for the tip. I’ve had that Baratza Encore burr grinder you posted a link to for a while and it made a huge difference in my brewing (I only use a French Press and a Mocca Pot).

That’s a bold claim coming the Nespresso lover.
    Do you even roast, bro?

Both of those lines got a pretty good chortle, well played.

If you want to drink espresso strength coffee quit fucking around and get an espresso machine. Juras are too expensive and conventional espressso is too messy; I love my nepressos. I have one at home (actually a couple) and one right here:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58354[/ATTA CH]

Twelve seconds after that picture was taken I was sipping on this:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]58355[/ATT ACH]

That's a breville essenza, which is $131 at bed bath & beyond. Amazon hates them and is trying to push the new Vertuo line capsule machines, which I have no opinion on. I have no problem buying Originaline capsules, including from my local roaster.
    Details on the costs of local roasters with capsules? Avialability was why my wife and I didn't get one. I didn't hate the coffee from the demo, and would use it in a pinch. Otherwise the Keurig makes the coffee flavored water she likes and that's it.

Good espresso machines are certainly expensive. Basic beginner machines are Glock money, while full on enthusiast machines are Wilson Combat money heading towards supergrades quickly. But like most things espresso machines are a get what you pay for situation. Most hobbyists are chasing quality in the cup. Being able to control all of the variables of the machine in brew temp, dose size, and pressure throughout the shot process are critical to maximizing the output across a broad range of coffees.

Grinding freshly roasted, but not too fresh, beans goes a LONG ways to improving the quality in the cup. Ground coffee goes stay MUCH faster than beans stored properly. Also being able to adjust your grind as the beans age is hugely helpful. Daily grinding can be messy depending upon the grinder being used. One big help can being using the RDT method shown here to account for the static.

https://www.wholelattelove.com/blogs...sette-grinders

Using this method with my current single dose grinder I lose less than 0.1 of a gram from bean to fresh grounds. The same trick works for all grinders, but not all grinders are optimized to reduce retention.

Shot to shot time and out right convenience are certainly where the Nespresso shines. I am not pressed for time in the mornings any longer, but when I was rushing through the morning process weighing out the next mornings dose, or doses, into small airtight mason jars meant I could walk up to a hot machine, grind, and pull straight away. It will likely never be as fast as the Nespresso, but for me the juice was worth the squeeze.

Another option for espresso like coffee would be an Aeropress with or without the Prismo attachment discussed here.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....eemakers/page4

My Breville that was $450 from $600 is decent. The grinder is workable, the shots are passable, and by the time you add a syrup and milk, the lattes are legit. It could certainly do better all around, but for where I'm at, I'll hold off for another year or two. I've had friends who don't know any better really love the results from it, so there's that.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Details on the costs of local roasters with capsules? Avialability was why my wife and I didn't get one. I didn't hate the coffee from the demo, and would use it in a pinch. Otherwise the Keurig makes the coffee flavored water she likes and that's it.
    Well below market price. Capsules can be amazoned from Nepresso (generally the best) for $.70, starbucks and peet's (some are ok) for ~.65, and sundry discounts (not very good) for $0.50. I don't want to toss my buddy under the bus, but I'm drinking really superb espresso (for a nepresso) for less than I could buy crap off the shelf.

Site Supporter
    Do you even roast, bro?
    No yet. Still lots of high quality roaster out there to try.

Name:  7C5567A3-D5A0-469D-812C-A389744B8F69.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  64.2 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post

My Breville that was $450 from $600 is decent. The grinder is workable, the shots are passable, and by the time you add a syrup and milk, the lattes are legit. It could certainly do better all around, but for where I'm at, I'll hold off for another year or two. I've had friends who don't know any better really love the results from it, so there's that.
    Milk drinks are really forgiving because steamed milk is delicious. The brevilles do well for their price, but the grinder is usually their week point. The Niche grinder I linked to a few posts back punches way above its price point. It’s still a home grinder, not a commercial grinder, but several coffee nerds use and recommend it. In almost all cases you’ll get more improvements upgrading your grinder before your espresso machine. I’ve know several people who kept their brevilles after they bought a high end grinder.

User Tag List