Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee. Java. Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    17 grams of water to 1 gram of coffee. I use a scale and weigh out ~65g of beans into mini mason jars.
    I just used 5 tablespoons of beans maybe plus a tiny bit more, for four cups of water. Coffee was weak. Seems like beans before grinding would take up more volume than after grinding. What did I do wrong?

The measurements I've seen all seem to be after grinding.

Strength is controlled by the amount of beans, how coarse the grind is, and how long they brew. Water temp comes into play only a little, IMHO. Balancing the three controls strength and doesn't get bitter.

The directions you got were good. I'd measure the beans again and grind them and see what the volume is after grinding. You might see only 3 tablespoons depending on the bean.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Day two of the experiment:

I stopped in a Starbucks this morning. I told the girl that I was coffee illiterate and that all I knew to ask for was dark roast. She was very excited to serve me some sort of "breakfast coffee" that they only have for two weeks a year. After tasting it, I know why.
    The lawyer in me just has to ask, "Why what?" You love it and you want to thank the lovely barista for opening your eyes to a whole new world of coffee goodness or you hate it and Jeez they'd go broke trying to sell this stuff on the regular?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    The lawyer in me just has to ask, "Why what?" You love it and you want to thank the lovely barista for opening your eyes to a whole new world of coffee goodness or you hate it and Jeez they'd go broke trying to sell this stuff on the regular?
    The latter.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I think the best coffee that I've made myself was in an insulated French press, where I controlled the temperature and ground my own beans (not a burr grinder though). While it was good coffee, the juice wasn't worth the squeeze for daily coffee making. I've also gone to local roasters in the Dallas area to get coffee that was roasted within a week or so of me actually making it. In the end, I wasn't able to tell much of a difference in the recently roasted vs the "unknown" roasting date you get at the grocery store.

My current setup is a Bonavita Coffee Maker (at the time it was certified by the SCAA to brew coffee at the appropriate temperature) with Gevalia French Roast. While I'm sure there is much better coffee out there, the Gevalia tastes good to my unrefined palette.

In the end, I was never able to get scientific enough to prioritize temperature, preparation method (drip vs press), roast date and grind consistency (coarse/fine, burr/standard) to be able to get the most out of my coffee. After thinking about it, I think I probably put too much emphasis on roasting date, when there were other things I could more easily control.

Went to the local asain food spot and picked one of these since this thread has been making people spend money I figure 8 bucks wont hurt for an experiment.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

They're nice but they can overheat the coffee and/or are very inconsistent. You're using uncontrolled steam at an unknown pressure and temperature. I love mine when I can get something good from it though. I'll half ass froth warmed milk and make a ghetto latte type deal. I find they benefit from a finer grind.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Spoken like a man who has never had a cup of Jamaica Blue Mountain...

OTOH, I was once discussing a wine tasting my wife and I had gone to with my manager, and one of my team members observed that he and his wife had never found a wine they liked that didn't come from a box.
    He seemed shocked when I told him that, if that's what they like, that's what they should drink.

And, no, I have never spent $50 for a cup of coffee made from beans that have been processed through a civet cat's digestive track.

Grin.

When the bride and I went to Jamaica we went to the plantation where Blue Mountain is grown. Truly outstanding coffee. Brought some home, but it is long gone sadly.

LR

just got a french press/grinder set up. really excited, now someone send me some really good coffee so I know what i'm missing

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    just got a french press/grinder set up. really excited, now someone send me some really good coffee so I know what i'm missing
    What's your preference?

User Tag List