Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee. Java. Joe.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1436401213420.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  68.2 KB At one point in the not too distant past I was a full time PhD student working as a tutor and grad assistant by day, a full time copper by night, and had three kids at home. Coffee was as essential as oxygen. I still probably drink too much of the stuff, and life's too short for mediocre coffee.

We use a BUNN thermal drip coffee pot. I used a french press for a couple years, but I just drink too much coffee. When I finally broke the glass on our last press we switched to a BUNN drip machine. The BUNN keeps the water hot enough and brews fast enough to make a decent cup of coffee. http://www.amazon.com/Velocity-10-Cu.../dp/B000FFRYYK

Fresh beans and a good grinder matter. We use a Breville conical burr grinder: http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BCG80.../dp/B0043EWFAM. It works well enough.

Our favorite beans right now are from Counter Culture: https://counterculturecoffee.com/. They offer a subscription service. When the beans arrive at our door they usually have a "roasted on" date within the last two days.

Kona coffee is one of my guilty pleasures. At home, I won't drink anything else. The Pau Hana Estate med dark is my personal favorite. Carol the owner is great people and she will roast your order and ship it within a few days. You aren't buying beans that were roasted months ago and, to me, this elevates the taste and freshness.

http://www.pauhanaestate.com

I have always been in the cold, bubbly caffeine camp. I decided to try to drastically reduce the amount of artificial sweeteners I ingest; so, I'm giving coffee a try.

The boss has agreed to be my coffee FTO. He just took me to a local shop that is supplied by a local bean roaster. We walked in and he asked what the dark roast of the day was. The answer was Tanzanian Peaberry. Now I'm not sure if this is the path I want to travel.

Edit to add: The location we went to is owned by a couple that came through one of our free firearms safety classes through the SO. They have a small meeting room in their shop, and they allow one of our guys who does training on the side to use it for classes. They are good folks. They also own a bicycle shop.
    Last edited by jlw; 07-09-2015 at 11:22 AM.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

You'll be fine, go for it.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Jlw,
    Give it a chance. You don't have to play super fancy to get good results. Locally roasted is a great place to start, just ignore the fru-fru names and sniff it. If you like the aroma, give it a try. Trust your nose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    The boss has agreed to be my coffee FTO. He just took me to a local shop that is supplied by a local bean roaster. We walked in and he asked what the dark roast of the day was. The answer was Tanzanian Peaberry. Now I'm not sure if this is the path I want to travel.
    I much prefer the descriptive names to fancy crap like "Big Bear's Breakfast Coffee."
    "Tanzanian Peaberry*" tells you where the beans come from, and that the beans are of a fairly rare type, prized in some corners.

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    Jlw,
    Give it a chance. You don't have to play super fancy to get good results. Locally roasted is a great place to start, just ignore the fru-fru names and sniff it. If you like the aroma, give it a try. Trust your nose.
    Concur.
    Another thing to keep in mind is that two roasters starting out with the same bean from the same crop of the same plantation may very well arrive at a different coffee.
    This is where a lot of folks who just want a good cuppa joe start to go all eyes rolling back in their heads and stuff, when the coffee commonsewers and snobs (not to mention hipsters, since that's where this thread all started) start talking like pretentious rich people at a wine tasting.

Which is why I keep saying "drink what tastes good to you". Not everyone cares that much, anymore than they care about the terroir that contrcibuted to making the dago red they're drinking with their porterhouse.

*The Tanzanian Peaberry Mystery || Virtual Coffee - The Hottest Online Coffee Zine!
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

After looking at the money I was spending on my twice daily Starbucks habit, I invested in a Super Automatic Espresso machine. I can't live without it. I put in water and beans, set the dials for the size and strength, and with the push of a button I get perfect Espresso every time.
    https://www.wholelattelove.com/produ...no-milk-island
    I add three Equal packets and mix and it is ready for sipping...or gulping on occasion.

I have no financial interest in Whole Latte Love, but I have to say....great company. Friendly, good prices, especially on refurbished stuff. And, they have a great selection of espresso beans for reasonable prices. The Gaggia has no problems...just have to empty the used coffee and every few months run descaling solution.

I have to carefully monitor how long between doses....too many too quick and I am Spiderman.

Next Up: Buying some Black Rifle Espress Beans to try them out.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    After looking at the money I was spending on my twice daily Starbucks habit, I invested in a Super Automatic Espresso machine. I can't live without it. I put in water and beans, set the dials for the size and strength, and with the push of a button I get perfect Espresso every time.
    https://www.wholelattelove.com/produ...no-milk-island
    I add three Equal packets and mix and it is ready for sipping...or gulping on occasion.

I have no financial interest in Whole Latte Love, but I have to say....great company. Friendly, good prices, especially on refurbished stuff. And, they have a great selection of espresso beans for reasonable prices. The Gaggia has no problems...just have to empty the used coffee and every few months run descaling solution.

I have to carefully monitor how long between doses....too many too quick and I am Spiderman.

Next Up: Buying some Black Rifle Espress Beans to try them out.
    Cody
    The cost savings could be quite substantial if you have a daily habit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasage View Post
    The cost savings could be quite substantial if you have a daily habit.
    And earlier this week, Starbucks announced they are raising their prices.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    And earlier this week, Starbucks announced they are raising their prices.
    That's what happens when you're headquartered in a city with a $15/hour minimum wage.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List