Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee. Java. Joe.

That's pretty much what I do. I am 16-17:1 water to beans. I will premeasure my beans when I get them and I can nail the water without a scale when I brew.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    That's pretty much what I do. I am 16-17:1 water to beans. I will premeasure my beans when I get them and I can nail the water without a scale when I brew.
    How do you figure the 17:1 ratio?

Site Supporter
    I use 8 scoops in a 34 oz French press. In my kitchen that translates to about 1.5 tablespoons of coffee per just over 4 ounces of water because the scoop is a little off compared to standard. If I don't have a scoop I just use 8 heaping soup spoons and throw a little more in on top because more is more better. If you're using a glass press, try putting about an inch and a tiny bit of coffee in the pot. That's how I used to do it (by eye) until I got the stainless pot and had to figure out how much coffee that was in scoops. I just fill the pot to the top, let it sit for a few and press.

ETA: I like strong coffee. I use French roast and end up with what is essentially a pot of espresso, in terms of flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    How do you figure the 17:1 ratio?
    17 grams of water to 1 gram of coffee. I use a scale and weigh out ~65g of beans into mini mason jars.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I am am super new to coffee only starting to drink it regularly on my Philmont Hike last year as hauling Pepsi Max in a can was not practical.
    Some Maxwell House powdered "coffee beverage" and Trader Joes Instant packckets( w cream/sugar) in combo have given way to 3 heaping teaspoons of Bustello Instant Expresso, 4 sugar cubes ( not spoonfuls), 5 oz of boiling water and whole milk or half and half to the top of the 8 oz cup.

I am a coffee heathen I know. Just slightly better than hot chocolate for many of you I suspect.
    I pretty much only drink black coffee, and occasionally Bulletproof coffee, but I have to admit, that sounds good, if a little sweet. Maybe for dessert.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Kona coffee is one of my guilty pleasures. At home, I won't drink anything else. The Pau Hana Estate med dark is my personal favorite. Carol the owner is great people and she will roast your order and ship it within a few days. You aren't buying beans that were roasted months ago and, to me, this elevates the taste and freshness.

http://www.pauhanaestate.com
    Looks like another thread that's going to cost me $$$
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Kona coffee is one of my guilty pleasures. At home, I won't drink anything else. The Pau Hana Estate med dark is my personal favorite. Carol the owner is great people and she will roast your order and ship it within a few days. You aren't buying beans that were roasted months ago and, to me, this elevates the taste and freshness.

http://www.pauhanaestate.com
    We like Greenwell Farms, also Kona.

That does it. "Honey, let's go to The Big Island!"

Added: Funny, to me, is that now we see Kauai Coffee all over the place. Even on the Garden Isle they'll tell you the soil there just won't grow coffee as good as Kona. Good rum, though.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I'm pretty lucky, in that Kona is a 45 minute flight for where I am. My Inlaws live there and we visit several times a year.

and I don't know how I ever lived without an espresso machine. Friends are coming over tonite so it'll get a workout, for sure

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    This thread costed me $530. OE manual grinder and Gaggia espresso machine are going to be here next week.
    Welcome to the club. You wont regret iy.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Day two of the experiment:

I stopped in a Starbucks this morning. I told the girl that I was coffee illiterate and that all I knew to ask for was dark roast. She was very excited to serve me some sort of "breakfast coffee" that they only have for two weeks a year. After tasting it, I know why.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List