Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AIWB handgun, reload, knife: how do you do it?

AIWB handgun, reload, knife: how do you do it?

I'm fairly new to CCW, but on I've been carrying a bit using my JMCK AIWB, and his AIWB reload holster. I've been learning about and researching the benefits of a CCW defensive knife (like a clinch pick or what have you) but I for the life of me can't find the real estate up front to get all that hardware to lie flat and usable. How do you guys manage this? Pictures would be appreciated, if possible.

If I'm stepping on pre-discussed toes owing to bad searching, just shut this down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by masternave View Post
    I'm fairly new to CCW, but on I've been carrying a bit using my JMCK AIWB, and his AIWB reload holster. I've been learning about and researching the benefits of a CCW defensive knife (like a clinch pick or what have you) but I for the life of me can't find the real estate up front to get all that hardware to lie flat and usable. How do you guys manage this? Pictures would be appreciated, if possible.

If I'm stepping on pre-discussed toes owing to bad searching, just shut this down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    if your running the aiwb reload, I would bump the knife to 10 o clock on your belt. Might not be ideal for strong hand draw but it is still possible and it allows a decently fast draw with your weak hand.

Something that can help is deciding where to have your belt buckle so that it is out of the way as much as possible. Also gear placement can effect concealment. Your belt line will have some places where belt carried gear hides better this has to be balanced against access.
    As much as possible carry the same gear in the same place all the time so that drawing it is reflexive and you don't get confused and reach for the wrong place.

I use a leather 1.5" belt. Unfortunately, that limits some of my placement options. The belt buckle has to be placed pretty much just right IOT get a belt that's tight enough to be stable but not overly tight.

Basically, what I do is this:
    - Keeper's G17 holster with G19 at about 12:30, with the belt loop right up against the left side of my first right belt loop on my jeans. I may get a split loop for it and move it slightly further right, straddling the loop. Haven't decided yet.
    - JMCK AIWB Single Mag Pouch w/ G17 +2 at about 11:00, with the clip right up against the left side my first left belt loop.
    - DSG Clinch Pick sheath at about 10:30, carried OWB

The CP will sometimes point outward and print if it's not in the right spot. But, it's better than the alternative (moving it forward of the mag pouch) as far as comfort and belt space goes.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

It looks crammed together but its not bad. You can also see to the left of my gun the belt buckle rides at more of a 3:00 postion

Full frontal is tough. #thestruggleisreal

I end up looking somewhat like sboers describes or hallnh727's pic (that buckle placement is important -- I also use a Wilderness Frequent flier) if I try all three, more often forego either the knife or the reload. If I were smarter, I'd say the knife carries precedence over the reload and move the spare mag to my side but I'm stubborn.

The problem with the CP orientation is I tend to either have it pointed so far downward that I need an unusually long shirt, or it pokes out awkwardly like I've got a weird erection.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Never been able to do it. Max, I can do a pistol AIWB, reload at 9:00. Still doesn't work well for my body type.

I've stuck with IWB/OWB at 3-4. Knife in a Desantis single stack mag pocket holder. Reload in a pocket or on the belt. Good enough.

I struggled with this issue. I carry AIWB with a clinch pick, and carry my reload in my front left pocket on a RCS pocket shield (along with a light and usually a pen). I'm not blazing fast with the reload from the pocket, but considering I never carrier one prior, it's good enough.
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, and other fun shotgun stuff.

An aiwb reload is just not worth it. Fighting gear (weapons) gets top priority for real estate. Support gear (spare mags, flashlights, cuffs, radios) gets secondary space.

If you can make it all work up front and you like it, that's great. Prioritizing a reload over a CP is foolish though.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    An aiwb reload is just not worth it. Fighting gear (weapons) gets top priority for real estate. Support gear (spare mags, flashlights, cuffs, radios) gets secondary space.

If you can make it all work up front and you like it, that's great. Prioritizing a reload over a CP is foolish though.
    This is exactly why I ditched my appendix reload and moved it to my 7 or 8 o clock

User Tag List