Page 91 of 153 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141 ... LastLast

Thread: HK USP 45 field pistol

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The hybrid match LEM is perfect for me, as it is a great HK trigger, and gets rid of the thumb safety.
    FIFY

To GJM and the other multi-USP-owning folks...

For a fullsize, do you have a preference between 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP in these guns?

Any preference between fullsize and compact in 40 S&W?

I'm looking at picking up a 40 S&W to play with because they're inexpensive right now. I figure I can send it back to H&K to have the Hybrid Match LEM and the pistol inspected for less than it would cost to buy a new one in a different caliber and I get 40 S&W for free from my work.

I like all three full size calibers. If you can handle the size, I like the FS .40 over the Compact as the trigger is better (full hybrid match LEM), it reloads much easier, and the larger frame is easier for me shooting .40.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    To GJM and the other multi-USP-owning folks...

For a fullsize, do you have a preference between 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP in these guns?

Any preference between fullsize and compact in 40 S&W?

I'm looking at picking up a 40 S&W to play with because they're inexpensive right now. I figure I can send it back to H&K to have the Hybrid Match LEM and the pistol inspected for less than it would cost to buy a new one in a different caliber and I get 40 S&W for free from my work.
    I would just go for the .40 Full Size, especially if you don't have large hands. The USP was designed around .40 first, it is WAY overbuilt for 9mm... the .45 was upscaled to handle the extra wear. First choice, .40.... second choice, .45.... third choice, 9mm.

One thing that always concerns me with the HK USP's, and I think HK is a great company, but the only guns they've used the polymer magazines in are the USP 9 and USP 40 full size. The USP 45 and all the USP Compacts, and every pistol they've made since then have used metal mags. It always makes me think they figured out the poly mags weren't a good idea and moved on to steel.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    One thing that always concerns me with the HK USP's, and I think HK is a great company, but the only guns they've used the polymer magazines in are the USP 9 and USP 40 full size. The USP 45 and all the USP Compacts, and every pistol they've made since then have used metal mags. It always makes me think they figured out the poly mags weren't a good idea and moved on to steel.
    I have had a USP9 since the mid 90's and never had an issue. Even with the 10 round mags during the Klinton AWB. I have a 31rd polymer mag and a handful of the 18rd mags. No complaints. I agree with your logic that metal may be better (even Glock went to metal lined), but I believe the old design was well done enough that there is nothing to worry about.

I also spent several years working with a PD that issued the USP45. I can't recall them griping about anything but the overall size of the gun and proprietary rail. And cops love to gripe. Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I have had a USP9 since the mid 90's and never had an issue. Even with the 10 round mags during the Klinton AWB. I have a 31rd polymer mag and a handful of the 18rd mags. No complaints. I agree with your logic that metal may be better (even Glock went to metal lined), but I believe the old design was well done enough that there is nothing to worry about.

I also spent several years working with a PD that issued the USP45. I can't recall them griping about anything but the overall size of the gun and proprietary rail. And cops love to gripe. Lol!
    My agency issued USP .45's for a long time as well.

You don't normally hear complaints about HK mags. They know how to build them right.

I may be remembering this wrong, but I though HK went to a metal mag on the USP 45 as it was thinner than polymer, and they were trying to keep the grip size down.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I may be remembering this wrong, but I though HK went to a metal mag on the USP 45 as it was thinner than polymer, and they were trying to keep the grip size down.
    My USPC 45 had metal so that's plausible. I got it a couple years after the 9mm - 1997ish.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Thanks.

User Tag List