Page 52 of 153 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: HK USP 45 field pistol

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I tried the BB .45 Super, 230 FMJ-FP load that runs in the USP and HK45C, in the USP Compact. I had a stoppage in each of the two magazines I fired, and gave up on it. I would go Hk45C for a smaller format pistol that can run Super reliably, if not as a steady diet, as it doesn't have the dual recoil spring of the USP FS.
    Thanks, I went back through and found your post 338. An HK45C with 45 Super probably would need springs changed regularly.
    Last edited by Arbninftry; 08-30-2016 at 11:08 PM.

Im picking up a USP "Field Pistol". I however have a predicament. I live in Anchorage, Ak. No one has 45 super and I will not be able to acquire it before my moose hunt (week long, remote). I can acquire the BB 45ACP 255 LFP @ 900 some fps (per the box), but I just read a few posts back that they may not be reliable in the USP.

My other option is to use a 44mag S&W Trail Boss. I put a few cylinders of 305gn HSM Bear loads through it and it didnt seem that bad, I was actually surprised at the speed I could shoot it. I didn't time it but for reference I normally shoot (cold) mid 30 splits w/ a 9mm glock and low 40splits with a 45acp 1911 (Bill Drills). The 44mag rounds were all in the A zone at 21' and the recoil recovery felt smooth, that long DA let me really focus on the front sight.

I will have another opportunity or two to mess with the Trail Boss and I will break out a timer and open the distance. Not too excited about the minimal capacity....especially since I will have a USP and no AMMO!!

So my question is picking in between 44mag, 305gn, 6 rounds OR 45ACP+P (what I can find), 12 rounds.... Either gun will be carried in a HPG kit bag.

Thanks for any advice.

Jeremy

While I love my USP pistols, and I can imagine how you want to use your new pistol, without time to properly vet it, your revolver is probably the way to go. I have the same issue with a new Wilson .458 AR, no ammo here in AK, and no way to get some in my time frame, so it is now a next year proposition. I am getting low on Super ammo, and out at our remote cabin 160 SW of you by plane, for moose season. If you got here, I could give you 12+1 rounds, but unfortunately not the quantity you need to vet it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Picked up my full size .45 USP yesterday. Pulled the barrel and “plunk” tested various ammo I had around the house.

The HK USP 45 seems to have a short/tight throat.

Buffalo Bore 45 ACP +P 230gr JFP – no go.
    Underwood 45 ACP+P 255gr LFP – no go.
    Winchester Ranger T 230gr JHP (std not plus +) – OK
    Federal American Eagle – 230gr FMJ RN (1.265”) – OK
    Remington 180gr Golden Saber -- OK
    Handload – 230gr FMJ RN – OK
    Handload – 200gr LSWC (H&G Clone) – 1.245” – MAX (slight resistance)
    Handload – 200gr LSWC (H&G Clone) – 1.235” – OK
    Handload – 265 gr LSWC (Beartooth Bullets) seated to 1.200” – OK
    Dummy – 250gr Berry Plated (1.200” per Accurate Powder data) – no go.

Note: The BTB 265gr LSWC was resized with a Lee .451” push thru die. The load is 6.5gr Longshot in Starline +P cases. It chronos 920 from my 4.5” M&P45 and 850 fps from my 3.6” “throated” Kahr CW45. Both 5 long paces from muzzle and 70 deg F and 50 deg F respectively. I haven’t found a gun that this load doesn’t function in (except the unthroated Kahr).

After above, took the gun out for trial run. Ran 4 full mags of assorted ammo that passed the above plunk test (ammo was mixed within each magazine) thru the gun without a hitch.

My thought is that the short/tight throat could cause some ammo to be problematic – I plan to have mine throated.

FWIW,

Paul

While I love my USP pistols, and I can imagine how you want to use your new pistol, without time to properly vet it, your revolver is probably the way to go. I have the same issue with a new Wilson .458 AR, no ammo here in AK, and no way to get some in my time frame, so it is now a next year proposition. I am getting low on Super ammo, and out at our remote cabin 160 SW of you by plane, for moose season. If you got here, I could give you 12+1 rounds, but unfortunately not the quantity you need to vet it.
    Thanks GJM, I appreciate the offer! I have a few buddies with airplanes, maybe if my HK'itis flares up enough Since it's an HK I'd vet it with a few hundred ball rounds and and a few boxes of the BB 45 super and call it good.

Alaska Ammo said 45 super is on order but can't guarantee a date. BB refererred me to them.

Gotta do some more training w/ the Trail Boss.

paul105 - that is great data! Thanks for the details. I know all chambers can be different, but your Data is an outstanding starting point! Thank you for sharing your testing!

I read on the interwebz there was some Hornady ammo from around 2012 that wasn't feeding well into the USP.

Thanks for everyone's informative info

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by paul105 View Post
    My thought is that the short/tight throat could cause some ammo to be problematic – I plan to have mine throated.
    Who does this kind of work?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Member "DougGuy" on the http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ . He will throat to your specs if you have a specific bullet in mind (send him a couple of dummies. I had him throat a CW45 for this bullet:

Actually ended up seating the bullet deeper as the Meplat was to wide to function thru the magazine.

His work is reasonably priced and well done.

Here's a link that covers the advantages of "throating" .45 ACP bbls.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...1911-Throating

Paul

Great link!

I would like to try this with a Jarvis barrel. Might make the USP with Super even more super, if the combination proves reliable.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Great link!

I would like to try this with a Jarvis barrel. Might make the USP with Super even more super, if the combination proves reliable.
    I was going to recommend the exact same thing. Save the HK barrel,for factory anti personnel stuff and do a conventionally rifled Jarvis set up specifically for the super anti bear loads.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Sure wish somebody had police trade-in HK USP FS available. Tryna figure out what to sell to get one.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

User Tag List