Page 33 of 153 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

Thread: HK USP 45 field pistol

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Anyone know whether a 94 vintage USP can be converted to the match LEM? A list member vaguely recalled that perhaps the real old ones could not be converted.
    I sure hope so now that you got my hopes up! Lol! I plan to call HK but it will be a couple weeks. Have a bunch of crap keeping me busy right now.

Anyone know whether a 94 vintage USP can be converted to the match LEM? A list member vaguely recalled that perhaps the real old ones could not be converted.
    I believe it can. You would need to buy, at a minimum, a new stye hammer strut, new style catch, and new style control latch. I have a '99 USP40 that I converted using only those parts. Not sure on the parts changes between '94 and '99. You may also (although I don't think so) need to replace the firing pin block and the firing pin with the new style parts. You would also then need to purchase the match hybrid LEM parts (LEM kit, nickel-plated sear spring, match catch, match trigger).

Quote Originally Posted by jst0915 View Post
    I believe it can. You would need to buy, at a minimum, a new stye hammer strut, new style catch, and new style control latch. I have a '99 USP40 that I converted using only those parts. Not sure on the parts changes between '94 and '99. You may also (although I don't think so) need to replace the firing pin block and the firing pin with the new style parts. You would also then need to purchase the match hybrid LEM parts (LEM kit, nickel-plated sear spring, match catch, match trigger).
    That is good, as I would like to end up with a pre-polygonal barrel and match Hybrid LEM, which basically means 1994.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

That is good, as I would like to end up with a pre-polygonal barrel and match Hybrid LEM, which basically means 1994.
    Agreed, I wish Jarvis (or KKM or Bar-Sto, etc) made barrels for the USP40. I would call HK and see what they say on converting the '94 to match hybrid LEM. They should have the most accurate list of all of the parts needed to for the conversion, if they support it.

OK, really big HK news in my household.

At the end of our regular practice session, I put down my CZ/DP Pro, and started shooting my USP 40, which grows on me by the hour. Near the end, my wife said "you have ten rounds of .40 left, how about I shoot five thru the HK?" She did, and then asked to shoot the remaining five rounds. Then the earth moved -- she said "hey, why don't you get me one of those HK things, with that same trigger, and a Safariland holster, so I can wear that in the field." I was floored. My wife started shooting with an HK, a P7M8 in the late 80's, switched to Glock, and has shot a Glock exclusively for the last 25+ years. She then gave me the "I am still a Glock girl at heart speech, but that a big trigger guard, reliable, point and shoot blaster has merit for hard use in the field, when hunting, fishing, etc."
    Holy shit.

Stuff like that makes me believe that Trump can take it. 'Cause if he did, I could certainly say then "stranger things have happened".

P.S. Only very classy people start their shooting career with a P7M8. Only smartest of those classy people ditch that gun for something else without prejudice. I only know two people like that although I don't pretend to know all of such remarkable folk. You're one lucky man, in marriage and in friendship.
    Last edited by YVK; 07-27-2016 at 10:23 PM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I scored a 1994 USP 40 FS today, that I believe has the pre-polygonal barrel. Will see next week when it arrives. Will ring it out with Double Tap hard cast, and hopefully verify reliability. The load is 200 grains of hard cast at nearly 1,100 fps, and should work well on critters if it functions.

My wife decided if she was carrying an HK in the field, it might as well be the USP 45 with 45 Super ammo. She shot a USP 45 with Super and .acp ammo this afternoon. She shot fast, slow for accuracy, and with a quite loose grip one hand, trying to induce stoppages. None were experienced, so that was a really good thing. I need to get her a left hand retention holster that will work on her Safariland rig, and she will be off to the races with it.

I scored a 1994 USP 40 FS today, that I believe has the pre-polygonal barrel. Will see next week when it arrives. Will ring it out with Double Tap hard cast, and hopefully verify reliability. The load is 200 grains of hard cast at nearly 1,100 fps, and should work well on critters if it functions.

My wife decided if she was carrying an HK in the field, it might as well be the USP 45 with 45 Super ammo. She shot a USP 45 with Super and .acp ammo this afternoon. She shot fast, slow for accuracy, and with a quite loose grip one hand, trying to induce stoppages. None were experienced, so that was a really good thing. I need to get her a left hand retention holster that will work on her Safariland rig, and she will be off to the races with it.
    You sure work fast! Hope the USP40 eats the 200gr ammo for breakfast.

Good news on the USP45 being super reliable. As far as retention holsters that fit a Safariland rig, only ones I can think of off the top of my head are possibly the Edge Works XST holster and the Blade-Tech WRS. There are only three downsides to owning HKs: Anything that has to do with a timer, holster compatibility and the lack of aftermarket parts, particularly sights.

I scored a 1994 USP 40 FS today, that I believe has the pre-polygonal barrel. .
    If it does, it is the first production version. Depending on how much it has been shot, you might need to buy a new recoil dual spring unit; not that expensive, and good for 10K rounds unless you are shooting a lot of "extra power" ammo. I'm sure you know that .40 is NOT rated for +P, as it were, but you're into using heavier cast bullets for critters you have had to put down. Agreed; better than factory ball or JHPs for that. The thing about the non-polygonal barrel is you can shoot what you want, with cast/non-jacketed bullets, and not to have to keep a close eye on the bore.

Towards the end of our practice session today, my wife shot the USP 45 some more. Still no stoppages, and with the Buffalo Bore 230 F J-FP at 1,060 fps, subjectively softer in recoil for her than a G20 with 200 grain at 1,200 fps ammo. Here she is shooting the USP with the Super ammo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF4j4q9yOPQ

Towards the end of our practice session today, my wife shot the USP 45 some more. Still no stoppages, and with the Buffalo Bore 230 F J-FP at 1,060 fps, subjectively softer in recoil for her than a G20 with 200 grain at 1,200 fps ammo. Here she is shooting the USP with the Super ammo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF4j4q9yOPQ
    Not having shot either, that is good to know. Especially when you have found that the USP40 has more felt recoil than a G35.

User Tag List