Page 3 of 153 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: HK USP 45 field pistol

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    of course, the rest of the quote should be, that in many instances HK pistols in 9mm are like wearing combat boots to a black tie/dancing event.
    You say that like its a bad thing?

Good thread, I've been watching the self loader field gun stuff for some time. I'm not ready to switch yet, but am watching with interest. The 4" 29 doesnt bother me to carry in the hills (and once in a while a spare), but I'm not closed to new ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    George,

Given the compatablity of the USP 45 and 45 Super, how do you think a USP 40 would fare with the hit 40 cal hard castoads you previously tried in the Glock 22?
    I don't know. First, it hasn't been resolved to my satisfaction that hard cast is simpatico with the HK barrel rifling. Second, the .40 Double Tap 200 grain hard cast is listed, as I recall, at about 1,000 fps or just over. I think, all things considered in a similar sized pistol, I would take 230 grains at just over 1,100 fps rather than 200 grains at around or just over 1,000 fps in the .40. Not sure the difference in pressure for the .40 hard cast versus the .45 Super, and that would be something to look at.

Would there be any other advantages to .40 over .45 for the field gun? I am assuming more cartridges in the .40, but that is just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    You say that like its a bad thing?

Good thread, I've been watching the self loader field gun stuff for some time. I'm not ready to switch yet, but am watching with interest. The 4" 29 doesnt bother me to carry in the hills (and once in a while a spare), but I'm not closed to new ideas.
    I just wanted my second part on record in case Jody uses my own quote against me in the future. Joking aside, overbuilt is generally a good thing for tools used for serious.

Chasing a bird dog around, I spend a few hours a day out hiking, often in the hills. Usually have a shotgun with me, too. I really do appreciate a lighter weight handgun, as long as it doesn't come at the cost of reliability or shoot ability. I also frequently transition between in/near town and out, and while I have nothing against open carry in the field, I really do prefer being able to discreetly AIWB a full size, field handgun under a t shirt. I sent YVK a picture last night, of me standing on a river gravel bar 100 miles from anywhere, with the USP on under a tight-ish FR turtleneck. I think he commented that while he could see it was there, a Polish hooker wouldn't notice, or words to that effect. (Why that analogy, only he would be able to answer.)
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    George,

Given the compatablity of the USP 45 and 45 Super, how do you think a USP 40 would fare with the hit 40 cal hard castoads you previously tried in the Glock 22?

BTW - I previously had a 45 Expert and a 45 Tactical - the match trigger is nice and well worth the cost.

yeah baby. Somebody find out.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Re .40 USP barrels - Jarvis offers conventionally rifled USP barrels. I also recall LSP 972 talking about shooting lead in HK barrels with no ill effects.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I don't know. First, it hasn't been resolved to my satisfaction that hard cast is simpatico with the HK barrel rifling.
    My USP had well over 20K of hard cast through it. The barrel was cleaned every 100 rounds or so. I used the "dip", and appropriate PPE. It was an issue, but workable.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    My USP had well over 20K of hard cast through it. The barrel was cleaned every 100 rounds or so. I used the "dip", and appropriate PPE. It was an issue, but workable.
    This. You can indeed shoot lead in a polygonal bore, but there are caveats, as noted above.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    What's the "dip"?

I'm still thinking about it. I'm slow at times.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    What's the "dip"?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that you had at least one 10mm 1911. Where did those fit into your handgun journey from revolver to Glock to 1076 to USP? Was weight the main drawback to the platform?

I was under the impression that a high quality 1911 could be setup to shoot well with several cartridges that would seem to fit the bill, ie 10mm, 45 super, 460 Roland, etc.

User Tag List