Page 24 of 153 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: HK USP 45 field pistol

I did some more shooting this morning with the DA/SA USP .40 and LEM USP .45.

For pure technical shooting, I still think the HK USP SA trigger is better than the LEM. However the cost of that SA is a truly lousy DA trigger, some more administrative complexity, and the presence of a safety/decocking lever. For my use as a woods gun, today I am now leaning towards LEM as it turns the USP into essentially a high cap, lighter weight DA revolver, or long travel Glock, depending upon your perspective.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

If you are doing the .40 cal thing, why not the P226? Just wondering, kinda thinking about picking up a 226 in .40 just for hard cast reloads as a woods gun.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I did some more shooting this morning with the DA/SA USP .40 and LEM USP .45.

For pure technical shooting, I still think the HK USP SA trigger is better than the LEM. However the cost of that SA is a truly lousy DA trigger, some more administrative complexity, and the presence of a safety/decocking lever. For my use as a woods gun, today I am now leaning towards LEM as it turns the USP into essentially a high cap, lighter weight DA revolver, or long travel Glock, depending upon your perspective.
    I did some messing around with my USP40 today and installed an LEM kit. With the old TRS (I think it was the match one), Wolff 12lb hammer spring and nickel plated sear spring, the trigger was super nice, but only averaged 4lb 5oz, which is a little on the light side.

So, instead of doing the easy job of installing the factory hammer spring, I decided to install the heavier TRS...which took about an hour, even with the HK TRS tool, since I go full potato every now and then. Once I got it all back together, I measured the trigger pull at an average of 5lb 5oz. I'm glad I went the TRS route with the 12lb hammer spring, since the trigger has a nice rolling break with no perceptible wall.

Had I gone the other route, it would have been about the same weight, but it would have been a really light take up with a wall at the end, which is harder for me to shoot well. Hopefully I'll be able to take it out next weekend and see how it shoots. Dry firing at home, I am able to row through the entire travel of the trigger at almost full speed without the sights moving, so I'm optimistic about the change.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    If you are doing the .40 cal thing, why not the P226? Just wondering, kinda thinking about picking up a 226 in .40 just for hard cast reloads as a woods gun.
    I haven't shot enough hard cast through my 226 and 229 .40 pistols to be confident in their function. I really like the Sig P series pistols. The HK USP is appealing because it is lighter, launches .45 Super without modification, and I think it is more impervious to getting dunked and generally abused. Here are some .226 .40 pics from a few winters ago.

Quote Originally Posted by jst0915 View Post
    I did some messing around with my USP40 today and installed an LEM kit. With the old TRS (I think it was the match one), Wolff 12lb hammer spring and nickel plated sear spring, the trigger was super nice, but only averaged 4lb 5oz, which is a little on the light side.

So, instead of doing the easy job of installing the factory hammer spring, I decided to install the heavier TRS...which took about an hour, even with the HK TRS tool, since I go full potato every now and then. Once I got it all back together, I measured the trigger pull at an average of 5lb 5oz. I'm glad I went the TRS route with the 12lb hammer spring, since the trigger has a nice rolling break with no perceptible wall.

Had I gone the other route, it would have been about the same weight, but it would have been a really light take up with a wall at the end, which is harder for me to shoot well. Hopefully I'll be able to take it out next weekend and see how it shoots. Dry firing at home, I am able to row through the entire travel of the trigger at almost full speed without the sights moving, so I'm optimistic about the change.
    Keep us posted how this works out. I plan to send my USP .40 and one DA/SA USP 45 to HK next week for LEM. Think I should request the match LEM hybrid or something else?

I haven't shot enough hard cast through my 226 and 229 .40 pistols to be confident in their function. I really like the Sig P series pistols. Here are some .226 .40 pics from a few winters ago.

Keep us posted how this works out. I plan to send my USP .40 and one DA/SA USP 45 to HK next week for LEM. Think I should request the match LEM hybrid or something else?
    With all of that snow in the rear sight, it seems like it would be difficult to shoot accurately.

I would go match hybrid LEM, I've had it in USPs before and it was quite excellent...for LEM.

Quote Originally Posted by jst0915 View Post
    With all of that snow in the rear sight, it seems like it would be difficult to shoot accurately.

I would go match hybrid LEM, I've had it in USPs before and it was quite excellent...for LEM.
    Note laser grips!

Note laser grips!
    Fair enough! That is one definite benefit of the Sig P series pistols compared to anything HK.

I haven't shot enough hard cast through my 226 and 229 .40 pistols to be confident in their function. I really like the Sig P series pistols. The HK USP is appealing because it is lighter, launches .45 Super without modification, and I think it is more impervious to getting dunked and generally abused. Here are some .226 .40 pics from a few winters ago.
    It's not the same, but I have shot a lot of hard cast in 9mm through 226s back in the past without issue. No doupt the .45 Super would be better than the .40, and the HK probably requires less care if it gets dunked.

I was just thinking the comparison in .40 might not show that big a difference.

Just in from shooting the USP 45 LEM out in the rain and wind. Box of Speer 230 TMJ shot briskly from 7-25 yards. Not going to win a competition, but probably just fine for my use of a field pistol.

I'm guessing that Lawman ACP load with the 230 gr flat point would penetrate pretty well. A +p "Highway Master" version would be pretty nice
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List