Page 2 of 151 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: HK USP 45 field pistol

Subscribed! Based on only a modest amount of borrowed HK shooting I liked the angular 2x4 - ish USP vs curvy roundness of more modern designs, for a solid locked in grip and return to same after reloading. Have you or will you benchmark it on common drills/tests?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Subscribed! Based on only a modest amount of borrowed HK shooting I liked the angular 2x4 - ish USP vs curvy roundness of more modern designs, for a solid locked in grip and return to same after reloading. Have you or will you benchmark it on common drills/tests?
    The first day I shot it, which I reported in some thread that I have forgot, I shot seven yard bills drills (2.5-2.75), and arrays that I did with my 320 and CZ, at maybe 15 percent slower with the USP. My first DA shot is slower, my splits are slower and my reload is slower.

I almost don't care about benchmarking or shooting it much further on the timer, because I got the USP for reliability, not pure shooting speed performance, and the timer doesn't measure reliability and being able to launch a 257 power factor flat point. See, that is how HK guys roll.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The first day I shot it, which I reported in some thread that I have forgot, I shot seven yard bills drills (2.5-2.75), and arrays that I did with my 320 and CZ, at maybe 15 percent slower with the USP. My first DA shot is slower, my splits are slower and my reload is slower.

I almost don't care about benchmarking or shooting it much further on the timer, because I got the USP for reliability, not pure shooting speed performance, and the timer doesn't measure reliability and being able to launch a 257 power factor flat point. See, that is how HK guys roll.
    Thanks for repeating. I think I did read that but I thought this will be a great thread for those to be summed in. I get the point of not chasing equal speed performance (2.5 is not shabby at all). It is cool to at least know how little degradation there actually is. Like when I was matching 629 vs G22/G31 with hard bullets as a field pistol. Time to put 3 on a 4x6 card at 7 and 10 yards was illuminating. The .44 disadvantage was gigantic. 9mm was faster still but the difference not that profound.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I think for times to be relevant they would have to be judged against another reliable handgun with the same, 230-250gr @ 1050-100 fps, power.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    I think for times to be relevant they would have to be judged against another reliable handgun with the same, 230-250gr @ 1050-100 fps, power.
    You just expressed in words what I have been thinking subconsciously. I won't trade shootability for reliability in this pistol, given its use.

No doubt, I would shoot a Glock 20 better, especially time to shot one and the reload. The 1076/1066 is pretty much a toss up with the USP In terms of performance. The thing that got me interested in the 1076/1066 was reliability, and when that didn't pan out, it was reliability that again got me to the USP. The alternatives are revolvers, and the USP beats them in terms of capacity and weight (and shoot ability for the lightweight Scandium that compares in weight to the USP).

I almost don't care about benchmarking or shooting it much further on the timer, because I got the USP for reliability, not pure shooting speed performance, and the timer doesn't measure reliability <<< removed non-relevant info >>>. See, that is how HK guys roll.
    I'm going to save this modified quote and use it out of context at some point in the future.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Great thread. Definitely going to follow it closely.

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I'm going to save this modified quote and use it out of context at some point in the future.
    of course, the rest of the quote should be, that in many instances HK pistols in 9mm are like wearing combat boots to a black tie/dancing event.

Site Supporter
    George,

Given the compatablity of the USP 45 and 45 Super, how do you think a USP 40 would fare with the hit 40 cal hard castoads you previously tried in the Glock 22?

BTW - I previously had a 45 Expert and a 45 Tactical - the match trigger is nice and well worth the cost.

... in many instances HK pistols in 9mm are like wearing combat boots to a black tie/dancing event.
    I had to think about that one for a minute… but you're absolutely right.

User Tag List