Page 17 of 153 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: HK USP 45 field pistol

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    There's a thread over in Ammo about how accurate the Hornady stuff typically is. Worth trying a box or two.

I really like the USP45F. I'm a big guy with big hands (have had to give up on really nice XXXL motorcycle gloves when they didn't stretch enough in break in), and its size works perfectly for me. Mk23 is for cartoons. The 9/40 frame is great, but the 45 is just a little better.

Olongjohnson has xxxl hands. Am I the only one who finds this funny.
    Last edited by Luke; 04-30-2016 at 06:04 PM.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Olongjohnson has xxxl hands. Am I the only one who finds this funny.
    Must be a Trump supporter.

I know someone that has small hands and can shoot anything, wonder if with big hands Olong can shoot everything?
    Last edited by GJM; 04-30-2016 at 06:08 PM.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I just thought this was funny.

I'd probably have trouble shooting an LCP, just like everybody else.

I was shooting a USPT with .45acp 230gr today. I really like these pistols. How is the LEM on these vs. P30, HK45. Reset, weight etc....

I am tempted to carry them instead of my 9mm P30 LEMs. I would either revert back to my 1911 ways with cocked and locked or go LEM.

Any thoughts ?

You can go LEM hybrid on the USP, which is the best LEM trigger ever.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    I was shooting a USPT with .45acp 230gr today. I really like these pistols. How is the LEM on these vs. P30, HK45. Reset, weight etc....
    Pull "weight" is dependent on which of the three springs- hammer spring, firing pin block spring, trigger return spring- you have installed. All sorts of different variations there.

Reset, OTOH, is the same on the USP/HK45/HK45 Compact… quite a bit less than the current P-series (P2000, P30) pistols.

My wife and I have P30, P2000, USP Compact, and HK45 Compact pistols; multiples of each, all LEMs. The bride is totally into the P30, whereas I prefer the USPc and HK45c. When I first began shooting the P2000/P30s on occasion, I would not let the trigger go out far enough to reset and end up double-clutching the thing… bad juju. The third time I went to Tom Givens' best overall two-day class, I was there mainly to support #1 grandson, so I shot the HK45c on Day One, and decided WTH, go with the Euro Pellet P30 the second day. Didn't choke on it, not once. Hmmm… so, beats me.

Personally, I think you're more concerned with caliber than trigger reset. The USPf (full size) .45 is a BIG pistol, easier for big hands to control; the HK45 full size has the much more ergonomic Spiderman grip and is a bit smaller overall, with better sights. Reset is the same on both. The 9mm and .40 P-series pistols have the longer reset.

Something else… the USP/HK45 guns have a "modular" thing going, allowing no less than nine different trigger action types (the LEM is one, called the V7; the rest are DA/SA/decocker/no decocker/left side/right side/etc.); the P30 and P2000 have only two trigger actions- LEM, or DA/SA with that bizzarely-located decocker button on the rear face of the slide.

It all can be pretty confusing at first, but its really not, once you get a handle on the different variations/different pistols. I'll leave it at that, but if you have any further questions, there are a dozen or so of us on here who have a lot of time on HKs and can help you to decide.

Had first animal encounter of the season in Alaska this afternoon, on a narrow trail with our bird dog, and I am pleased to report the USP and Buffalo Bore .45 Super works on a porcupine. Gosh that DA trigger seemed heavy after six weeks of shooting a Glock in Carry Optics.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Several years ago I went from 20+ years of carrying Glocks (GL21,30,19,17) to carrying HK P30 LEM V1 9mm. Pre 1990 I carried 1911 .45s mostly.
    I have HK45 V1, HK45 LEM, HK45CT, HK P2000SK LEM, HK USP45, HK USPT45, HK USP45 Elite, HK MK23. I also have HK P30, P30L in LEM.

I am not so much concerned with caliber, with proper JHP all service calibers are OK for people I think. For animals I like GJM's USP 45 Super idea if I am not going .44 Mag and up.

I shoot the USPT 45s the best for accuracy, closest thing to a good single action pull carried cocked and locked. HK 45 is also very accurate for me. I probably need to do LEM on 1 USP45 and see if I still shoot it more accurately than the LEM P30. I also shoot the HK45 slightly more accurately than the P30.

I like the capacity of the 9mm P30 and have no complaints about the pistols. My hand size make the USP 45s comfortable to shoot and I like the boxy grip for recoil control. USP 45 vs. HK45 for some reason the thumb safety on the USP feels more convenient than on the HK45

I have gotten to really like the USP 45s. I may be revisiting my childhood with the .45. I need to do some testing with LEM USP 45 and see if it is the USP itself or the good single action on the USPT45. I also need to do the same with the HK45 LEM and a HK45cocked and locked.

All of these pistols are very good, I am just considering options.
    Last edited by 1slow; 05-24-2016 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post

Something else… the USP/HK45 guns have a "modular" thing going, allowing no less than nine different trigger action types (the LEM is one, called the V7; the rest are DA/SA/decocker/no decocker/left side/right side/etc.); the P30 and P2000 have only two trigger actions- LEM, or DA/SA with that bizzarely-located decocker button on the rear face of the slide.

LSP, thanks for the info. I picked up a USP45 a while back to check out the whole HK thing. I specifically went for the USP for the modularity, not realizing that the HK45 has the same feature.

Is the LEM materially different between the USP45 and the HK45? I have the Elite, with a factory upgraded trigger, if it changes the comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List