Page 151 of 153 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153 LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 1524

Thread: HK USP 45 field pistol

The argument for the 9 is shootability, using a load that has the ability to punch into the skull. The defensive use of a handgun bear is a finesse game -- warning shot, body shot to discourage, then finally, hit the upper CNS to stop a determined bear. Finesse because you don't have the power to be decisive, like with a long gun.

Once I go to a long gun, I want the ability to skip finesse and bring more power. Ideally a semi auto shotgun with Brenneke slugs, and on the smallest size choice, .300 BLK with Barnes is my minimum.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

What height front sight should be used on a USP 45 with a Dawson fixed rear? Looking for tip of the front sight blade POI at 25 yards.

Just curious if anyone knows before I try to figure it out on my own

I think a .200, and here is why. While it has been too many years for me to remember, and the pistol with Dawson's isn't here to measure, I mostly have HD sights on them, and they are drive the dot.

See the specs, which show a .09 difference between front and rear.

Name:  IMG_7438.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  18.7 KB

The Dawson sights have a .25 difference, or a .16 shorter front compared to the HD front, which will raise the POI. Further, Dawson typically regulates for tip of the front sight, and that is how I recall my Dawson's hit.

Name:  IMG_7437.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  23.8 KB

Of course your pistol, your loads, your eyes or your technique could cause variation.

I should also add, that I don't think the Dawson fiber optic sights are the best choice for a USP FS 45. The rear sight overhangs the slide and digs into your skin and clothing, and is subject to rust. The front sight is fragile compared to other choices. Dawson sights are definitely the least reliable part of a USP FS 45!

None of this might matter if it's just a mess around pistol, but if you want to use it hard and in adverse conditions, Dawson wouldn't be my first pick.

Site Supporter
    I haven’t seen it posted anywhere yet but Gray Guns has the full size USP trigger available. You’re welcome and I will never financially recover from this thread and Lost River’s G21 Gen 5 thread. Thank you for contributing to my delinquency.

https://grayguns.com/product/hk-usp-...aight-trigger/
    Last edited by CakeEater; 04-01-2024 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Added USP

Jumping in a little late on the recent series of posts.

USP's are still my primary woods guns. Depending on the situation, it's either a USPc 9 V1, or a USP45 FS match hybrid LEM. Generally they're loaded with Barnes or Black Hills TAC-XP hollow points, and at the trailhead I leave the HP in the chamber and swap for a magazine full of 9mm G9 Woodsman 124 gr, or a 45acp handload with 200 gr Cutting Edge solids at about 900 fps. That way everything is non-lead and one less thing I need to remember to comply with our plethora of California laws. No grizzlies here, although black bear are common.

I also have a USP45 Elite, but it is strictly a range gun. At 25 yards I shoot it noticeably more accurately, but the fit is so tight that it was hard to remove the barrel for the first 500 rounds. I've not had any reliability issues with it and it's really not any heavier because of the slide design, but prefer not to take the chance in remote dusty/windy places.

One interesting difference: If I shoot other things for a while, I can still go back to the LEM in the full size without issue. That's not true with the USPc, which takes a few practice rounds to re-adjust. Thus I've so far left the USP45 FS as LEM, while long ago converting the USPc 9 back to V1. With the full size there's not a lot of practical difference for me in accuracy, so LEM or DA/SA is just a preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    ...That way everything is non-lead and one less thing I need to remember to comply with our plethora of California laws. No grizzlies here, although black bear are common.
    Can you expand on that? Is there a restriction on lead bullets for CCW?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Can you expand on that? Is there a restriction on lead bullets for CCW?

100% ban on lead ammo for hunting/animal defense etc.

https://ca.audubon.org/news/ban-toxi...ect-california

HK USP 45 field pistol

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post

Really??? Even for a self-defense encounter?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Really??? Even for a self-defense encounter?
    I read the linked article as requiring non lead for hunting, but I am not seeing anything about self defense?

User Tag List