Page 133 of 151 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 1504

Thread: HK USP 45 field pistol

From my perspective, there is a world of difference between a service pistol with penetrating ammo and a semi auto shotgun with a dot and full tube of Brenneke slugs. The pistol is about bluffing and then finesse, where the Brenneke is about bringing definitive power to the fight. In any event, I have convinced myself I get a better workout with another 8 pounds in my hands.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Thanks in large part to this forum, both this thread and particularly GJM's other thread on Underwood Lehigh cartridges, I feel very comfortable in using my Gen4 Glock G22 with .40 Underwood Lehigh's; and similarly with my Gen 3 G21 with .45 ACP Underwood Lehighs when on hunting trips or wilderness hikes. On shorter hikes with my wife, I'm likely to use my HK VP40 with the Underwood Lehighs, simply because the VP would be easy for my wife to use if necessary.

I will admit that a HK USP/HK45 is somewhat on my desirability radar acquisition list, but I'm pretty well covered as things are-they'd be a "want" as opposed to a "need."

Best, Jon
    Agreed. Earlier in the thread I was hot to get a USP45 for when I get to travel west next year or so. Now I’ll be happy to get some Underwood ammunition for the M&P40s I already have and shoot regularly.

I just found this old advertisement that I figured that I'd share due to it's relevance towards my last few posts in this thread...

As previously stated, if you feel comfortable carrying a 9mm or whatever, then that's cool, and I could see why an expert may choose such a thing, especially if they have gone on numerous trips without even seeing a bear. No sense in lugging around a big heavy shotgun or pistol if you can get by with a 9mm, especially if you may never even run into a bear at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Of possible interest, my EDC is a USP45 Full Size with LEM conversion. When afield, however, I usually carry either my Glock 20 Gen4 or my 4" pre-lock, Magna-ported, S&W 629. I am heading to the Idaho panhandle for six days of archery elk hunting in September. I was planning on carrying the G20.

Buffalo bore has a 255 grain hard cast 45 Super load that they advertise at 1075 fps. Might be worth considering.

ETA: For direct comparison, they advertise their 21C 10mm load as a 220grain hard cast bullet at 1140 fps from a G20. Probably not much practical difference between them.
    Last edited by Gray Ghost; 07-27-2021 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    From my perspective, there is a world of difference between a service pistol with penetrating ammo and a semi auto shotgun with a dot and full tube of Brenneke slugs. The pistol is about bluffing and then finesse, where the Brenneke is about bringing definitive power to the fight. In any event, I have convinced myself I get a better workout with another 8 pounds in my hands.
    I was going hunting for a brown bear, I would just bring my Ruger Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby. Do you think the 12 ga. with the Brennekes is better up close? I guess it shoots faster and holds more rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    I was going hunting for a brown bear, I would just bring my Ruger Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby. Do you think the 12 ga. with the Brennekes is better up close? I guess it shoots faster and holds more rounds.
    I have multiples of both calibers, and think a .375 H&H is a better hunting cartridge for grizzly than a .416 Rigby. However, this isn't about hunting it is about bear defense. While I have shot a grizzly in self defense with a .375 H&H, I would take a Beretta/Benelli with Brenneke slugs every time for defense, over a bolt gun.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have multiples of both calibers, and think a .375 H&H is a better hunting cartridge for grizzly than a .416 Rigby. However, this isn't about hunting it is about bear defense. While I have shot a grizzly in self defense with a .375 H&H, I would take a Beretta/Benelli with Brenneke slugs every time for defense, over a bolt gun.
    That is very interesting. I have a Winchester 70 Safari Express chambered in .375 H&H. I love that thing. It would not have occurred to me to choose it for brown bear. Why do you like it better than a .416 Rigby for that application?

How did the .375 perform on the bear? What load were you using? I shot a very large waterbuck with mine using a 260 grain Nosler Partition hand load. It was a quartering away shot and I got the liver and at least one lung. The thing ran over 100 yards before collapsing. Stuff happens.

And I take from your comment that the semi-auto action is the trump factor for close quarters bear defense. I can't argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    That is very interesting. I have a Winchester 70 Safari Express chambered in .375 H&H. I love that thing. It would not have occurred to me to choose it for brown bear. Why do you like it better than a .416 Rigby for that application?

How did the .375 perform on the bear? What load were you using? I shot a very large waterbuck with mine using a 260 grain Nosler Partition hand load. It was a quartering away shot and I got the liver and at least one lung. The thing ran over 100 yards before collapsing. Stuff happens.

And I take from your comment that the semi-auto action is the trump factor for close quarters bear defense. I can't argue with that.
    Unlike Cape buffalo, elephant and the other thick skinned African animals that the Rigby was developed for, a grizzly bear is considered thin skinned, and a 300 grain .375 bullet has enough diameter and mass to put a hurt on a bear, while recoiling enough less than a 400 grain Rigby load to allow faster follow up shots. I used a 300 grain Trophy Bonded bullet on grizzly.

For perspective, I have shot multiple buffalo and an elephant with a .416 Rigby, and multiple buffalo, a lion, leopard and many plains game with .375 H&H.

Name:  IMG_20210728_164712.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  55.2 KB

A shotgun is certainly more reassuring on occasion.

Arrived back in Alaska this afternoon, opened the gun safe and saw two USP FS 45 and a FS 40, loaded with Underwood Lehigh ammo, sitting in JM AIWB holsters. Had a nice warm feeling, and then remembered I was running a 9mm, at least for now.

Headed out for a hike across the road from our cabin, and 100 yards down the trail ran into this.

Name:  EB9693A8-193A-4560-91DF-436051D90163.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  95.3 KB

And, just before the turn around point, encountered this.

Name:  77B446FE-5447-4D15-A31A-B9575E7A2F21.jpeg
Views: 594
Size:  82.2 KB

I generally don’t carry a shotgun hiking in the neighborhood in town, but apparently bears are also enjoying the local trails.

User Tag List