Page 13 of 153 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: HK USP 45 field pistol

After Alaska, Montana is certainly the lower 48 state most like Alaska, both in the geography and attitude of the people living there. I think Bozeman is one of the greatest places to live in Montana and the whole west.

Hiking near town, I frequently see black bears on the west side of the Bridgers. I think the grizzly bears primarily are south of town. Lots of bear spray and handguns observed on local trails.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Agreed...I find out this week if I get the transfer...

Fingers crossed. Sorry for the derail...
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Nyeti"

Just in from a quick range session with USP .45 #2, recently back from installation of a match trigger and HD sights at HK. A great thing about the USP, is you can practice with regular .acp ammo, and still use it with Super in the field.

The 3x5 was Buffalo Bore 230 FMJ-FP Super at 25 yards, with one called flyer from a rough press. Dot 3 is draws shoot DA then SA from 7 yards, as quickly as I thought I could make the hit. Dot 6 is DA draws from 7 yards with the Super ammo. Disregard the circled shots as they were from verifying zero at 100 with rifles yesterday.

The USP is very "field" accurate, and I have have yet to have a stoppage with any .acp cartridge or the BB 230 Super FMJ-FP (the only Super ammo I have tried). The DA trigger is heavy enough that it takes deliberate effort to fire shot one, which is just fine for myself use.

GJM:

How much did the conversion to a match trigger run you? Also, have you considered a LEM setup? Apparently, the combination of a light LEM and match trigger is the best of both worlds. I'm interested in trying one out.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    GJM:

How much did the conversion to a match trigger run you? Also, have you considered a LEM setup? Apparently, the combination of a light LEM and match trigger is the best of both worlds. I'm interested in trying one out.
    Not GJM, but I've used both triggers (Match and LEM-Hybrid). I much prefer the match trigger as I don't like LEM. That being said, the LEM-Hybrid is by far the best LEM trigger I've ever shot.

I was quoted $60 for labor and $119 for the match trigger kit for HK to install, not counting taxes or return shipping.

I just install them myself, it's not that difficult with the TRS tool and a couple of punches. There are a couple of good videos on YouTube that help.

My experience is HK is often the least expensive for things like a match trigger kit. They just installed three triggers for me for not a lot of money.

Darryl has previously said the hybrid match LEM on the USP is the best OEM LEM trigger that exists. I have been resistant to trying one, as I really like DA/SA triggers. I had something happen this afternoon that may cause me to at least try one. On the way to check the float plane was tied up in the strong wind we are having, we came upon a bull porcupine. Don't like shooting things we don't plan to eat, but we have a "no porky" zone around our cabin, on account of their damage potential to our cabin and our bird dog.

I baled out of the truck after the porky, wearing my USP in a Fricke custom holster that mounts on my Safariland thigh rig. I shot the porky once, from a rear quartering angle, evaluated, and shot again. It sure seemed like the 45 Supper bullets were zipping right through a smallish target, as opposed to expanding like a JHP. I circled around to check on the porky, and put the USP on safe, hammer cocked, with the pistol in my hands. As I approached the porky, he was still alive. I went to put him out of his misery with a brain shot, and as I tried to do that, realized I had the safety on. Fixed that, and took the shot, decocked and holstered. Analysis showed the solid bullets were hardly noticeable, although the brain shot worked as expected.

My plan is to use the safety on the USP, from now forward, only as a decocker. Anyone know whether there is a variant that is decock only? So that is what has me open to trying the LEM in the USP.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My plan is to use the safety on the USP, from now forward, only as a decocker. Anyone know whether there is a variant that is decock only? So that is what has me open to trying the LEM in the USP.
    The Variant 3 detent plate is the one you want:

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Deten...4-200p1172.htm

Regarding the LEM Match - it's the only one I would consider using. With a 14lb hammer spring (IIRC), I had a 4.5lb pull that was remarkably good. It didn't feel like an LEM trigger at all, which is why I think I liked it. I'll look around for the parts list if you are interested in trying it. Someone on M4C long ago put a parts list together.
    Last edited by BCL; 08-22-2015 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jst0915 View Post
    The Variant 3 detent plate is the one you want:

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Deten...4-200p1172.htm

Regarding the LEM Match - it's the only one I would consider using. With a 14lb hammer spring (IIRC), I had a 4.5lb pull that was remarkably good. It didn't feel like an LEM trigger at all, which is why I think I liked it. I'll look around for the parts list if you are interested in trying it. Someone on M4C long ago put a parts list together.
    HKPro has a ton of info on this stuff. One of the few things they're actually good at doing.

Okie John

Perfect, that variant 3 will fix me right up.

If I go hybrid match LEM, I will just send the USP to HK and let them do it, based on how reasonable they were earlier this month. 4.5 may be lighter than I want for the first trigger pull given how I use this gun. I really don't object to the weight of the DA, just the size and location of the thumb safety lever.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Perfect, that variant 3 will fix me right up.

If I go hybrid match LEM, I will just send the USP to HK and let them do it, based on how reasonable they were earlier this month. 4.5 may be lighter than I want for the first trigger pull given how I use this gun. I really don't object to the weight of the DA, just the size and location of the thumb safety lever.
    If you use the LEM hammer spring, it should up the trigger pull to about 5.5lbs or so. This is likely the way that it will come from the factory if HK does it. I was using the factory DA/SA hammer spring when I measured the 4.5lb pull.

User Tag List