Page 127 of 153 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,270 of 1524

Thread: HK USP 45 field pistol

Wink

I just got through reading this entire thread from beginning to end (don't worry, it took me over a week to do so) and decided to join the forum and take part in the discussion.

I've wanted an H&K USP45 Elite for a few years now, not because I need one for Wilderness Carry nor because intend to takeup Competition Shooting, but merely because I wanted one and that's all the reason any free man needs to own a firearm, so having finally found myself with enough money to purchase one, I took the plunge. Surprisingly, in spite of the arbitrary insanity that is pandemic pricing on firearms, I actually managed to find a good deal on a brand new USP45 Elite at just over $1000 BNiB.

In addition to my appreciation for the rugged reliability of the USP platform, I also appreciate the aesthetics of the USP45 Elite, which strikes me as a modern take on the aesthetic design of the Walther PP with the way that the slide tapers off towards the end.
    Furthermore, although I currently have no intention of taking a hike in Grizzly country, the utility of being able to fire .45 Super sans modifications was a selling point to me as well, simply because I enjoy shooting powerful handguns, and should I ever find myself taking a hike deep into the woods yet can't carry a Shotgun with Brenneke slugs, it's nice knowing that I have something lightweight yet powerful enough to get the job done should I need to fend off a Bear or Bigfoot.

Curiously, it appears that H&K has revised the USP Operator's Manual to omit any mention of overpressure loads, now simply making the vague, nondescriptive statement that the USP can safely fire any high quality factory loaded ammunition. No references to +P or +P+ loads are mentioned in the Operator's Manual of my CB (2021) Date Coded USP45 Elite, although I presume that this change was made merely for the sake of legal liability in the instance in which someone actually manages to damage the USP or themselves by firing extreme hot handloads.

I would post some pics of my USP45 Elite, but being new to this forum, I haven't quite discovered how to upload/share images just yet, and the interface is just different enough from other forums I'm familiar with that it isn't obvious to me how to proceed. Just as well, my USP is just a standard Elite model without any internal or external modifications, so just about any old pic of a USP45 Elite would suffice.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Welcome. Appreciate the comments. Yep, pics not the most intuitive but easy once you figure it out.

Name:  51512905-F851-43C1-8954-E0810CF72560.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  48.5 KB

Name:  F4960659-CE4D-4944-826D-BFBCBAAA89EC.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  39.8 KB

Name:  7D9E6F85-621E-4BF3-B832-7500A642A8E2.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  FD388A1C-C732-4152-B814-EB04062956E6.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  36.8 KB

Name:  5EF6DB14-7CF1-40D3-93BA-9AD689528238.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  51.4 KB
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Thanks, it turned out the issue was that my account hadn't been approved yet at the time, so the option to upload pics wasn't present.

Anyway, here's my USP45 Elite...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Heading around grizzly bears the next few days, so I dragged an HK45C out to the range for some refam. Awesome pistol, but I shoot a dot equipped mid size like the G45/320 Compact/M&P so much better, that one would really need to believe in .45 to carry it. I plan to bring a 9mm with a dot and Lehigh Penetrator ammo along, and leave the 45C at home.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I shot my Glock 45 with a dot side by side with my HK 45c with trijicon FO sights, and the performance difference is significant.

Everything is faster and easier with the Glock. No flyers, no drama, less effort.

Love the 45c... but back in the safe it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Heading around grizzly bears the next few days, so I dragged an HK45C out to the range for some refam. Awesome pistol, but I shoot a dot equipped mid size like the G45/320 Compact/M&P so much better, that one would really need to believe in .45 to carry it. I plan to bring a 9mm with a dot and Lehigh Penetrator ammo along, and leave the 45C at home.
    I've had 9mm stop in a deers shoulder.

Yes, I believe in the .45
    Name:  IMG_20210630_150058.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  17.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I've had 9mm stop in a deers shoulder.

Yes, I believe in the .45
    Name:  IMG_20210630_150058.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  17.4 KB
    One difference is I assume you were hunting, and I am not. Hunting game and bears is different than defending against animals. My plan is to fire one warning shot, followed by one shot anywhere into the body. At that point, if the bear is still coming, with my handguns I need to penetrate the brain to reliably stop an attack. I am loaded with 1,250 fps Penetrator ammo, and a red dot makes my job placing a bullet into the brain easier.

One difference is I assume you were hunting, and I am not. Hunting game and bears is different than defending against animals. My plan is to fire one warning shot, followed by one shot anywhere into the body. At that point, if the bear is still coming, with my handguns I need to penetrate the brain to reliably stop an attack. I am loaded with 1,250 fps Penetrator ammo, and a red dot makes my job placing a bullet into the brain easier.
    That was a hunting scenario.

I've also had a 147gr fp hit dead center in a Fisher cat skull and deflect enough to circle around, follow the spine, then exit the tail.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    That was a hunting scenario.

I've also had a 147gr fp hit dead center in a Fisher cat skull and deflect enough to circle around, follow the spine, then exit the tail.
    Bullets do funny things. I once shot a Cape buffalo in the chest with a 500 grain solid out of a .460 G&A. It lifted the Buffalo up and pushed him backwards, but the bullet deformed and didn't penetrate his chest. Pick your poison and prepare to keep shooting!

Bullets do funny things. I once shot a Cape buffalo in the chest with a 500 grain solid out of a .460 G&A. It lifted the Buffalo up and pushed him backwards, but the bullet deformed and didn't penetrate his chest. Pick your poison and prepare to keep shooting!
    I call it magic bullet syndrome.

User Tag List