Page 122 of 153 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 1524

Thread: HK USP 45 field pistol

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Well...after yet another work induced absence, I finally have time to play. Hopefully make a dent in the two cases of hardball next week and wring this thing out a bit. Well...that’s the plan anyhow.

Name:  55148458-3ED2-4716-888F-6A5B5D313D4C.jpg
Views: 2454
Size:  85.5 KB
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

What’s the reason for HK to include that bobbed hammer with the new Experts ?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The spur keeps them from fitting in the "IDPA box." Bobbed hammer fits.

For non-Experts, some people think a spur on a DA carry gun is about as useful as teats on a billy goat. Hence the present discussion.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

For me, the spur pokes me in the ribs while carrying and provides zero utility. I don’t use the spur for anything other than cocking the hammer for dry-fire; but for that it’s just as easy to operate the slide to cock the hammer.

So goodbye spur and hello comfort!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I got the part from HKParts.net today. Was delayed a couple days because NE Houston where the main postal distribution center is located is a disaster area after Imelda last week. Lots of places were hit worse than Harvey.

Anyway, it came in a bag marked "217981," same as yours. Seems unlike H&K to supersede non-interchangeable parts under the same number, so I still don't think I know what's going on, except that ordering that item from HKParts will get the old one. It is indeed old, with some light surface rust spots here and there. I also noticed the spring pin that the hammer strut acts against was severely scraped when it was installed, leading to striations across the direction the strut rubs. Can't be good for the DA action. Will be thinking about what to do about that.

Will call H&K tomorrow and see if I can get someone to admit that part number exists and can be ordered (which would be the new version, of course). It doesn't come up on their parts site. But I have noticed, as TooSixy often says, the parts pricing direct from H&K blows other sources out of the water.

Also ordered the TRS pliers, since they were having a half-price sale. They are custom-machined on the cheapest, crappiest pliers I think I've ever seen. Spent a few minutes getting the heat treating scale and grinding burrs off, and cleaning up the tips. Still cheaper (in time) and easier than milling my own, and they'll do the job, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
    It's the new style Expert hammer with the notch. ...

Here's what I received from MGW:

Last edited by OlongJohnson; 09-25-2019 at 10:12 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Picked up a USP 45 FS today and took it to the range tonight. The first 110 rounds ran flawlessly, of course... mostly 200 gr JFP reloads but just for fun tried 10 200 gr coated LSWC and those fed perfectly too. The sights need a slight tap, the rears are just a hair off center and as a result it's shooting about an inch left with three different loads.

The factory V1 trigger is alright but certainly not as nice as the match trigger on my USP 45 Elite, or even my well worn in USP 45 compact with the nickle sear spring. I'll be converting the new FS to match hybrid LEM maybe as soon as this weekend, shot it like this mostly to verify function and get a comparison point. In the near future it will get different sights but that's about it for modifications. I'm thinking Trijicon HD's or maybe Dawson black rear and tritium front, will decide soon.

This one is a gray frame, for the simple reason that it's what is currently on the shelves here and I didn't feel like waiting possibly months for the next batch to ship. I'm indifferent about it so far, only difference I see is that powder residue shows up more clearly on the lighter color. It's of course there on black frame pistols too, just harder to see. And I guess this one will be easy to tell from the others in my safe.

Once vetted this is going on my permit and will fill the field pistol niche at least in cool season.
    Last edited by Salamander; 09-26-2019 at 12:44 AM.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Finally got a day to wring out mine. Ran flawless. Has anyone put an RMR on one of these? A buddy had a M&P and an FN so equipped. I had never shot one previously being somewhat old school. I really liked it. No issues hitting a 8” plate at speed out at 25 and 35yds. His were both Trijicons. Seemed robust enough for field use.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

LEM installations get easier with practice, this one took less than an hour and went in pretty easily. It will eventually be (almost) match hybrid LEM, the nickel sear spring is in, need to order the right hammer spring, will keep the stock trigger and not the one with the overtravel screw since it will be a field pistol.

It's a much nicer pull now, a lot better than stock V1, a little better than my P2000 LEM's.

Not enough photos lately, so here's the current set of USP's, 45 Elite on top, the new 45 FS in the middle, 45 Compact on the bottom.

Name:  IMG_2773.JPG
Views: 1505
Size:  60.8 KB

I just wanted to say thanks to the contributors of this thread. I recently purchased a barely fired USP Compact 45, and was beginning to see some malfunctions. After the gun got dirty, I would regularly get a particular malfunction. It was always on the second to the last round in the magazine. In short, the slide would close part of the way but would stop before the cartridge fully went into battery.

I spent a lot of time on the HK forum looking for answers, which led from new springs, to the need for a new and/or reshaped extractor by an HK customer service rep who's no longer there, maybe shorter OAL for handloads, etc. I tried all of these things, and they sometimes worked, sometimes didn't.

Then I recently read the July, 2018 section of this thread, where Salamander said bullets 0.452 and wider (especially Berry's bullets) caused problems. Huh. I always used handloaded Berry's in my USPc.

So I tried Federal 230 grain FMJ last weekend, and very much enjoyed a morning of zero malfunctions at all. I even tried intentionally limp-wristing the gun firing weak hand only and I couldn't make it malfunction under any circumstances.

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you. This thread was a God-send to me.
    Ordinary guy

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Jed View Post
    I just wanted to say thanks to the contributors of this thread. I recently purchased a barely fired USP Compact 45, and was beginning to see some malfunctions. After the gun got dirty, I would regularly get a particular malfunction. It was always on the second to the last round in the magazine. In short, the slide would close part of the way but would stop before the cartridge fully went into battery.

I spent a lot of time on the HK forum looking for answers, which led from new springs, to the need for a new and/or reshaped extractor by an HK customer service rep who's no longer there, maybe shorter OAL for handloads, etc. I tried all of these things, and they sometimes worked, sometimes didn't.

Then I recently read the July, 2018 section of this thread, where Salamander said bullets 0.452 and wider (especially Berry's bullets) caused problems. Huh. I always used handloaded Berry's in my USPc.

So I tried Federal 230 grain FMJ last weekend, and very much enjoyed a morning of zero malfunctions at all. I even tried intentionally limp-wristing the gun firing weak hand only and I couldn't make it malfunction under any circumstances.

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you. This thread was a God-send to me.
    I played around with that a little more just the other day, loaded a couple of 185 gr Berry's into empty and primerless cartridges, then fed them through a USP 45 FS. At OAL 1.182 they fed and ejected but failed the plunk test. At 1.200... the first one fed, but when I pulled the slide back it ripped the bullet half out of the brass. There's a good eighth-inch visible below the crimp line, and some depressions in the plating where it stuck in the rifling. The plating on these is really soft and easily damaged.

That said, my USP FS will feed anything 0.451. After running through the standard 25-round CCW qual last night with Montana Gold JFP, I ran another 40 rounds of 200 gr coated LSWC and it ate every one without any issues. These are Blue Bullets, they are .451 and have a long nose so if loaded to 1.260 there is a nice rounded shoulder in front of the brass. Then I tried three 200 gr Cutting Edge solids which have a huge meplat, and those fed perfectly too although they do need to be the right OAL, without looking it up I'm thinking it was something like a maximum of 1.230.

Basically, drop it in the chamber and if it falls out when turned vertical, it will run.

ETA: Comparing the FS and compact 45's with loaded magazines and the slides back, there is slightly less room from front of the bullet to the chamber in the compact and the angle looks just a bit steeper. The shorter length constrains the design so they may not run everything exactly the same. So far my FS seems to feed some things the compact doesn't care for, although the compact has been fine with all factory jacketed rounds to date and with most reloads.
    Last edited by Salamander; 10-01-2019 at 11:12 PM.

User Tag List