Page 12 of 153 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: HK USP 45 field pistol

Put about 40 different loads thru it over the past two days, including all the factory JHP's and most of the factory ball rounds on hand. Still have a bunch of known good handloads that need testing, but I need to assemble them. Probably another 20 to go.
    Last edited by LtDave; 08-17-2015 at 08:24 PM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Put about 40 different loads thru it over the past two days, including all the factory JHP's and most of the factory ball rounds on hand. Still have a bunch of known good handloads that need testing, but I need to assemble them. Probably another 20 to go.
    You planning to test any Super loads?

If you kept notes, it would be interesting to see what you found with each of the loads tested.
    Last edited by GJM; 08-17-2015 at 08:26 PM. Reason: spell better
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Probably no super loads. I keep group size and POI/POA for everything I test. The hottest stuff I've got is HST +P and some Speer 230 TMJFN +P. The HST ran 1.75", the Speer 2.25". POI was about the same and is probably now at POA since I adjusted the sights.

Sounds like your USP 45 shoots just like mine.

I'd be interested in knowing what those "known good" handloads are if you don't mind sharing.

Okie John

.45 loads that shoot well for me

Some handloads in .45 ACP that have proved accurate for me in several different pistols:
    All with Win LP primers
    185 Nosler, Montana Gold, or Zero JHP, 4.3 gr N310 1.200 OAL
    200 Bayou/SNS coated SWC 4.5 WST 1.240 OAL
    200 Bayou/SNS coated SWC 4.3 Clays 1.240 OAL
    200 Bayou/SNS/Masterblaster coated SWC 4.3 N310 1.250 OAL
    200 SNS coated SWC 4.3 Red Dot 1.240 OAL
    230 Armscor RN or Magtech FMJ SWC 4.8 or 5.1 Solo 1000 1.255 OAL
    230 Magnus or Armscor FMJ RN 4.9 Bullseye 1.260 OAL
    230 Armscor FMJ RN 4.3 Clays 1.250 OAL
    230 Magtech FMJ SWC 5.9 Universal 1.225 OAL

The Magtech bullet has the same profile of an H&G 68. The factory loads with this bullet also shoot well. Most of these loads were found on the net and may be .1 plus or minus from what was originally posted. These are loads that are thrown by my Little Dandy powder measure rotors.
    Last edited by LtDave; 08-18-2015 at 10:13 AM. Reason: added additional info

Some handloads in .45 ACP that have proved accurate for me in several different pistols:
    All with Win LP primers
    185 Nosler, Montana Gold, or Zero JHP, 4.3 gr N310 1.200 OAL
    200 Bayou/SNS coated SWC 4.5 WST 1.240 OAL
    200 Bayou/SNS coated SWC 4.3 Clays 1.240 OAL
    200 Bayou/SNS/Masterblaster coated SWC 4.3 N310 1.250 OAL
    200 SNS coated SWC 4.3 Red Dot 1.240 OAL
    230 Armscor RN or Magtech FMJ SWC 4.8 or 5.1 Solo 1000 1.255 OAL
    230 Magnus or Armscor FMJ RN 4.9 Bullseye 1.260 OAL
    230 Armscor FMJ RN 4.3 Clays 1.250 OAL
    230 Magtech FMJ SWC 5.9 Universal 1.225 OAL

The Magtech bullet has the same profile of an H&G 68. The factory loads with this bullet also shoot well. Most of these loads were found on the net and may be .1 plus or minus from what was originally posted. These are loads that are thrown by my Little Dandy powder measure rotors.
    Thank you, sir.

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Is there a alternate thumb safety available for the USP that is a skosh larger?

I carry it hammer down, safety off, but my thumb confirms the safety is off during my presentation, and my optimal finger position for DA (first crease) doesn't comfortably allow my thumb to reach the thumb safety without some contorting of my hand.
    I'm not aware of one, either.

I carry a USP in the same configuration (hammer down, safety off), and none of my other pistols have safeties, so I recently decided to alleviate any concerns about the safety getting accidentally bumped on by removing it (switching out the detent plate to make the safety lever decocker only).

I assume you've considered that solution so am curious what your arguments would be for/against.

I, for one, am really appreciative of this thread and the thought, time, and money GJM has put into this process. Since I moved to bear country this issue has been a concern of mine. I was relying on a Model 29, but kept having the nagging feeling of the revo's disadvantages and was about to jump with both feet into a Glock 20. The USP in .45 super loadings seems like a very good solution.

I'll be looking into one as soon as our move to Bozeman is complete.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Nyeti"

Quote Originally Posted by maclin View Post
    I, for one, am really appreciative of this thread and the thought, time, and money GJM has put into this process.
    Same here. He asks all the questions that I'd ask, though not exactly as I'd ask them, which saves me a lot of money for T&E. On the other hand, he asks so many new questions that all the money I save gets reallocated to new projects, like finding ways to move to Alaska.

Okie John

I just went with Montana; also known as "Alaska lite"....
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Nyeti"

User Tag List