Page 116 of 153 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1524

Thread: HK USP 45 field pistol

Quote Originally Posted by SilverB View Post
    And how big of a circle that may be? No bigger than 6” maybe. Firing at a fast moving 6” target towards you at a distance say 10yd away, you may only have a chance to fire one shot hoping it was a hit and then run like hell if not already.
    Had a thought, is the motion of an attacking bear, (or dog) something that could be duplicated in a training environment? I would think that charging animals is not a target that many practice on. Certainly a cabled target moving towards a shooter does not replicate the vertical motion of the head.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Had a thought, is the motion of an attacking bear, (or dog) something that could be duplicated in a training environment? I would think that charging animals is not a target that many practice on. Certainly a cabled target moving towards a shooter does not replicate the vertical motion of the head.
    Texas Star wouldn't be all bad. Another win for competition!
    Last edited by JHC; 08-06-2019 at 10:17 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Texas Star wouldn't be all bad. Another win for competition!
    Not sure that would replicate. Good practice on moving targets in general but not exactly what I had pictured. Granted I have never been charged by a bear, so there's that. Thinking of my dog, (again not a bear) when she has completed her morning routine, she will often run full speed directly at me, and vear off within the last 5 feet. It's unnerving to have a 70 lb lab/pit charging at you, at least she does it with a smile. Her motion has the head moving vertically in about a 12" line, with a slight pause at the apex and bottom.

On second thought, if the Texas Star where turned sideways, and the plates faced toward the shooter, it would have the targets falling forward and away from the shooter. It would probably need redesigned depending on how the plates attach.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Not sure that would replicate. Good practice on moving targets in general but not exactly what I had pictured. Granted I have never been charged by a bear, so there's that. Thinking of my dog, (again not a bear) when she has completed her morning routine, she will often run full speed directly at me, and vear off within the last 5 feet. It's unnerving to have a 70 lb lab/pit charging at you, at least she does it with a smile. Her motion has the head moving vertically in about a 12" line, with a slight pause at the apex and bottom.

On second thought, if the Texas Star where turned sideways, and the plates faced toward the shooter, it would have the targets falling forward and away from the shooter. It would probably need redesigned depending on how the plates attach.
    Agree, it's not perfect. But getting the feel of tracking and ambushing the moving plates would build good attributes for problem solving - I think. And the stars are kind of common.
    Last edited by JHC; 08-06-2019 at 11:02 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

You boys would like shooting at this gizmo. It's certainly not perfect, but it beats the heck out of the artificial ballistic gratification you get from shooting a static target. I'm going to try and increase the running distance and introduce some bobbing movement in the target when I have time to experiment with a few things.

https://mgmtargets.com/product/attack-target/
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter
    Back in the 90s the local drug dealers liked to sic their pit bulls on police officers. It got so bad we had to come up with attacking dog drills. Take a board and screw an eye hook in it. Place it on the ground between the shooters legs. Tie a milk jug (filling the jug with water) on a rope and thread it through the eye hook. Have somebody fast run as fast as they can pulling the jug towards the shooter. It was a cheap easy drill. Bleach bottles work good. After several pitpulls got shot the problem stopped itself

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If you are simulating stopping a determined bear, I would draw a circle around the nose and eyes and consider anything outside just a warning shot.
    Got it, accuracy at speed must improve for this to be what it needs to be. One thing my relatively weak performance with the 45 super rounds caused me to think about was just switching to the Lehigh/Underwood 9mm +P penetrators and sticking with a platform (G17 or USP/c) where I know I can deliver a nice clean Vickers drill type performance on demand without adjusting or really even thinking about my cadence or putting in the additional work I clearly need with the bigger caliber platform.

I have 3 more weeks before my trip to the Absaroka & Beartooth wilderness areas to work on all this. Only makes me wish I had practiced with the .45 all summer.

Those tracked movers are fun to shoot but a pain to reset. I have put them in stages before, always with a popper pulling a string attached to a pin as the activator, usually used rubber surgical tubing as the accelerator for the target trolley, it gets them started fast but they don't run over the shooter so much.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Got it, accuracy at speed must improve for this to be what it needs to be. One thing my relatively weak performance with the 45 super rounds caused me to think about was just switching to the Lehigh/Underwood 9mm +P penetrators and sticking with a platform (G17 or USP/c) where I know I can deliver a nice clean Vickers drill type performance on demand without adjusting or really even thinking about my cadence or putting in the additional work I clearly need with the bigger caliber platform.

I have 3 more weeks before my trip to the Absaroka & Beartooth wilderness areas to work on all this. Only makes me wish I had practiced with the .45 all summer.

Those tracked movers are fun to shoot but a pain to reset. I have put them in stages before, always with a popper pulling a string attached to a pin as the activator, usually used rubber surgical tubing as the accelerator for the target trolley, it gets them started fast but they don't run over the shooter so much.
    It goes without saying, but I would take an accurate and fast 9mm Lehigh penetrator over a slower and less accurate Lehigh in Super any day, every day. I wouldn’t loose any sleep about carrying your 9mm in those mountains.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    You boys would like shooting at this gizmo. It's certainly not perfect, but it beats the heck out of the artificial ballistic gratification you get from shooting a static target. I'm going to try and increase the running distance and introduce some bobbing movement in the target when I have time to experiment with a few things.

https://mgmtargets.com/product/attack-target/
    My club has that target on a track. It will get your attention when buzzer goes off and it comes at you. A few of the local, smaller LEO agencies have come by and used it. Gets the attention of those who are not proficient with their draw.

We have several engineers in the club and we have built some pretty cool target arrays ala "Rogers" with compressed air activation and a cheap PLC.
    Last edited by ranger; 08-06-2019 at 04:18 PM.

So is anyone still making AIWB holsters for the USP 45 or USP 45 Expert? Same question for AIWB mag pouches. Seems pickings are slim now that JMCK no longer supports the USP.

Anyone have any AIWB USP 45 holster they want to sell?
    Last edited by Hunter Rose; 08-06-2019 at 11:50 PM.

User Tag List