Page 113 of 153 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1524

Thread: HK USP 45 field pistol

I blame this thread.

USP Elite 45. Put 75 rounds through it this afternoon and the trigger will take me some getting used to, but the gun itself is scary accurate* (even in my out-of-practice hands) at 25 yards with 230gr factory hardball. I especially like the tall front sight, because I intend to try this gun with 230gr 45 Super on IHMSA silhouettes at 200 meters and likely will need plenty of sight travel to make it there.

*First target, a B8 repair center at 25 yards, 5-shots scored 44/1X with the group strung horizontally left-to-right, likely from me applying uneven pressure to the gun with my firing hand.

Last edited by oregon45; 11-07-2018 at 08:53 PM.

Wouldn’t you want a shorter front sight for long range shooting?

On my Expert, I went with a shorter Dawson FO front sight, and that allowed me to crank the rear sight down quite a bit.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I like the taller front sight because it allows me to keep the rear sight roughly in the middle of its adjustment range, which helps when light conditions vary throughout a match. The silhouette range I shoot has pretty dramatic light changes in the course of a morning match, particularly this time of year, and it's not uncommon to have to add or subtract 2-3 clicks of elevation between early and late relays.

If I didn't anticipate running the rear sight up and down, I would put in a shorter, ramped, front sight.
    Last edited by oregon45; 11-07-2018 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    I blame this thread. USP Elite 45.[/img]
    I'm in the same boat. GJM and Nyeti got me sold on a USP 45 and I found a Tactical model for $750 locally. Should be able to shoot it this weekend.

Now what are people using for low-flash powder/load data? I'm going to cook up some hard cast loads gas check loads and see what 45 Super can do.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Ramshot Silhouette.

They’ll send you data if you ask them.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Ramshot Silhouette.

They’ll send you data if you ask them.
    They did. I’m thinking Hornady FTX or XTPs might be a winner at 1050fps.
    Last edited by Super77; 11-14-2018 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    They did. I’m thinking Hornady FTX or XTPs might be a winner at 1050fps.
    From loading 250 grain xtps for my .45 colts I've found poor expansion at 1kfps and under. I'm not sure how that relates to 230 grain bullets meant for ACP loads.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Hornady's load manual has recommended speed ranges for each bullet listed.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

This thread has me thinking a bit.

I think I read earlier GJM is using a 45 super load using a 230 gr FMJFN. Wouldn’t a hard cast Bullet with a similar profile be preferred compared to a FMJ Bullet? I’ve always read that FMJ bullets are more susceptible to breaking up, jacket separation and deflection compared to a HC Bullet.

I know for the most part 250 gr WFN bullets don’t work in the usp 45, and the all copper lehigh penetrator is probably the answer I’m looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post
    This thread has me thinking a bit.

I think I read earlier GJM is using a 45 super load using a 230 gr FMJFN. Wouldn’t a hard cast Bullet with a similar profile be preferred compared to a FMJ Bullet? I’ve always read that FMJ bullets are more susceptible to breaking up, jacket separation and deflection compared to a HC Bullet.

I know for the most part 250 gr WFN bullets don’t work in the usp 45, and the all copper lehigh penetrator is probably the answer I’m looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If shot out of a revolver yes, but the USP has had feeding problems with some wide meplat hard cast loads like the Buffalo Bore.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List