Page 11 of 153 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: HK USP 45 field pistol

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    IMO squarish 2x4 like grips lock into a hard grip better than sensuous curved types and return to "true north" more surely after a reload for example. I think they are more ergonomic in that respect than more modern declared ergo designs.
    That is a concise description. +1
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    IMO squarish 2x4 like grips lock into a hard grip better than sensuous curved types and return to "true north" more surely after a reload for example. I think they are more ergonomic in that respect than more modern declared ergo designs.
    I agree, the corners and flats give a better index of hand vs grip placement.
    Shooting control is not the same thing as feels good in the hand in the gun store. I find a related thing with knives and tools. A handle that gives a secure grip wet or dry in an emergency may not be the one you could use all day without blisters.

Robbie Leatham said the exact same thing about rounded versus straighter grips.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    I agree, the corners and flats give a better index of hand vs grip placement.
    Shooting control is not the same thing as feels good in the hand in the gun store. I find a related thing with knives and tools. A handle that gives a secure grip wet or dry in an emergency may not be the one you could use all day without blisters.
    Outstanding analogy.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Outstanding analogy.
    I had you, Strider and the DB in mind when I typed that. I may lose some skin but will not lose my grip on the DB while doing my "Tasmanian Devil with a spike" routine on a vertical log.

It reminded me of my relatives down in Panama. I was down there and had several Strider knives including a big MT that I would take on my jungle walks. My relatives thought they were horrible due to the handles. They said exactly what you did about blisters. They are used to literally having a machete in their hand all day and working for hours at a time with edged tools. They want a smooth grip that will give no hot spots. Compare that to needing a knife in a crisis like being upside down in a crashed aircraft...you want to be able to anchor the blade even if covered in hydraulic fluid and not lose it for a short burst of energy work, and be able to orient the blade by feel.

I liked the USP's as duty guns. They were easy to hang on to in various conditions and often deployed under stress and in a crisis. I prefer the more "ergonomic" handled HK's for daily carry against skin.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Is there a alternate thumb safety available for the USP that is a skosh larger?

I carry it hammer down, safety off, but my thumb confirms the safety is off during my presentation, and my optimal finger position for DA (first crease) doesn't comfortably allow my thumb to reach the thumb safety without some contorting of my hand.

I used to carry a USP 45 V2 on duty. It was a good duty gun, but I eventually replaced it with a G21 Gen2. Well, after all this discussion, I thought I should pick up another USP 45. Found a LEM USP 45 on GunBroker that I'm sure was a duty gun at one point due to the wear. It is a '99 vintage with dead night sights. Took it out to the range and tested with a bunch of different loads. It shoots. It shoots real good. 1.25" with Wolf Polyformance 230 FMJ of all things in the x-ring and 1.0" with Geco FMJ, about 1" low. Had to take a little off the top of the front sight to bring the POI up, and also had to center up the rear. Love the LEM on this gun, it's better than the ones on my USPc .40 and USPc .45. I really have to concentrate to shoot groups with those two, this one made it easy. It shoots a bunch of factory JHP and reloads into 1.5" or better at 20 yards. Definitely a keeper.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Is there a alternate thumb safety available for the USP that is a skosh larger?

I carry it hammer down, safety off, but my thumb confirms the safety is off during my presentation, and my optimal finger position for DA (first crease) doesn't comfortably allow my thumb to reach the thumb safety without some contorting of my hand.
    I'm unaware of one. From what I can understand and have seen, the size (width of thumb-safety) in descending order goes: USP full size, USPc, HK45/HK45c.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    I used to carry a USP 45 V2 on duty. It was a good duty gun, but I eventually replaced it with a G21 Gen2. Well, after all this discussion, I thought I should pick up another USP 45. Found a LEM USP 45 on GunBroker that I'm sure was a duty gun at one point due to the wear. It is a '99 vintage with dead night sights. Took it out to the range and tested with a bunch of different loads. It shoots. It shoots real good. 1.25" with Wolf Polyformance 230 FMJ of all things in the x-ring and 1.0" with Geco FMJ, about 1" low. Had to take a little off the top of the front sight to bring the POI up, and also had to center up the rear. Love the LEM on this gun, it's better than the ones on my USPc .40 and USPc .45. I really have to concentrate to shoot groups with those two, this one made it easy. It shoots a bunch of factory JHP and reloads into 1.5" or better at 20 yards. Definitely a keeper.
    Dave, I am glad it turned out well, as I feel partly responsible. Typical of your meticulous group shooting personality to actually go test the thing with different loads!

User Tag List