Page 106 of 153 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1524

Thread: HK USP 45 field pistol

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    DA to SA slower or slide speed slower ?

Thoughts on speed of USP Match LEM 9 vs P30 LEM 9mm ?

Thoughts on USP 45 cocked and locked vs USP 45 Match/LEM on splits & first shot.
    My USP 9 Expert is a great overall pistol, although for me, it splits slower on high prob shots with a bit of a pogo feel. I don’t do cocked and locked USP variants, as the thumb safety isn’t ergo for my hands.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I was considering changing from P30 LEM 9mm to USP 9mm Match/LEM hybrid as primary carry. Any thoughts on P30 LEM vs USP Match LEM ?

USP 45 would be my woods gun.

I think Match/LEM is the way to go, though cocked and locked has some appeal ( reverting to my earlier years with 1911s). Commonality with LEM p30 pushes me toward a LEM USP variation.

Just to share - in a couple of threads in another forum, I have talked about the gift my wife gave me for my birthday - the H&K USP Expert in 45ACP.

The first thread was a report on its precision/accuracy by taking first shots at a target 25-yards out. The second thread was my intent on making it my home defense handgun - equipping it with Talon Grips, a Fibre Optic front sight, and a Streamlight TLR3 (since it comes with the proprietary clamp for the USP).

That said, I also realized that I have never really "tested" the pistol in a stress-induced, albeit just a timer, situation. How would I know if I'd be effective, even marginally, in using the USP if ever? There is only so much one could learn about one's pistol in an indoor, square and static range (and that is not mentioning the 1-shot/second rules here). To that point, I am a Glock shooter and mostly used to just a 9mm caliber... Could I handle the recoil of the 45ACP in pairs? In rapid shooting? And maintain the necessary accuracy?

Hence, at the 400-something round count, decided to take the USP Expert with 230GR factory ammo (CCI Blazer Brass) to its FIRST match. Whew! Learned a lot...!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUrZnwSBb-g

With the 45ACP - I just couldn't get the rhythm of the gun, and my sights were jumping all around the place during pairs. Sadly, pushing it the way I push my 9mm Glock just doesn't work! Definitely need to work on my recoil management - grip, stance, use of major muscle groups, etc. For me, I think this is the most significant takeaway that I need to work on with the USP.

This USP will require more breaking in - it was a bit too hard, and there were instances I lost a few moments having to follow up with an overhand rack when I couldn't release the slide lock. Good to know now, rather than later when I'm facing a perp, etc.

The Talon Grips are not good enough! With today's temperatures, my palm was sweating all over... If this were blood (*knock on wood*), this pistol will just slip out of my hand. I need a more aggressive grip enhancer, etc. for the USP!

The match was IDPA-style. The division was CDP (Custom Defensive Pistol) which is for 45ACP-caliber handguns; while having a rule constraint of having to use only 8 rounds (not the full 10 for Komiefornia magazines).

In summary - it was a nice opportunity to Pew-Pew, to bond with the USP in a match situation. It was actually FUN, and may decide to do more matches with 45ACP factory (instead of the usual 9mm).

... What comes to mind is an insightful signature from one member:

"Competition is where you find out you're slow, can't see well, are not accurate, have poor gun handling, can't visualize, have equipment that doesn't work..."
    Cheers,

PS: Definitely love the WIDER paddle-type magazine release!

_

Here’s a link to a 52-second video of Sean Burrows, of the HK Shooting team, running a USP 9 Expert LEM on a speed rack
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MGwZ7MubcUUIs

Not sure I’d use a 45 if the goal was speed. The temptation is always there to force one pistol into multiple roles, but I figure I’m eventually headed for using my Elite for target shooting, a standard 45f for backwoods, and maybe a USP 9 just because.

Rodralig, are the factory USP grips not aggressive enough for you? That's not a complaint I'm used to hearing about USPs

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'm pretty sure someone out there sells skateboard (and other grip) tape pre-cut for USP side panels.

I love the Experts, but the long-slide versions cycle noticeably slower (to me, at least) than the originals. Hence the frequent mention of pogo. I am probably just not high speed enough to notice the standard models being very pogo-ey.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I am in AK, and the first thing to come out of the safe was a USP FS 45 and some mags of Super ammo.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

There's an article in the current issue of The Wildlife Professional on using electric fences as an alternative to lethal removal in the Kootenay region of BC. I don't think there's a way to link to it for non-subscribers, but there's a classic quote I had to share:

"One study found that rural residents - particularly livestock producers - endorsed attitudes and behaviors that consistently valued human interests and practical needs over bear conservation efforts."

OK, I'll say it. Someone had to do a study to reach that conclusion? Really?

The fence method did have some success apparently, it's a cost share program. Didn't work so well though for the five residents who didn't maintain their fence, or the one who forgot to plug it in.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    Didn't work so well though for the five residents who didn't maintain their fence, or the one who forgot to plug it in.
    That's almost like carrying...
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Has anyone had luck with the 255 gr FN in the usp. Last I remember seeing is issues with feeding
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

User Tag List