Page 103 of 153 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1524

Thread: HK USP 45 field pistol

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by einherjarvalk View Post
    https://www.kingsfirearmsonline.com/...6-ca8a035983c1

In stock as of a few days ago, not sure how it's looking now.
    I think I noted this a few pages back. It's best if possible to only buy police trades from auctions that show photos of the actual unit you will be receiving, unless there's a might-deep discount below market price (for trade-in guns) in play. Item to item variation can be vast.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Just got a brand new USP 45 and broke it in with 120 rounds of clean .45 ACP (100 AE 230 fmj and 20 Federal HST hollowpoint). But then tried BB 230 FMJ-FP .45 Super and I ended up with failure to go into battery at least once every 7-8 rounds. BB hardcast .45 Super is completely unworkable, can’t get through more than 2 or 3 rounds before fail. These rounds just don’t fit into the stock chamber without sticking. I do love the gun though, great .45 and maybe I’ll try a Jarvis barrel with throating or something for Super.

Wondering if the Lehigh Underwood .45 Super loads fit the barrel chamber a little better. Anyone “plunk” one of those in a loose USP 45 barrel and easily dump it out? The BB loads tend to not go in quite flush if plunked in, and then stick if you try to dump them out, especially the hardcast. I tried to force cycling of the hardcast a few times until I got a round stuck in the barrel so hard it took pliers to pull it out. That was from pushing it into battery, so my bad and lesson learned.

Some hard data on black bear incidents in California from 1986 through 2015; in this case an incident is defined as injury to a human.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/News/Bear/Bear-Incidents The link goes to a general information page, near the top you'll see a link to a table of individual incidents or it can be found directly here https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...=109425&inline

- 98 total incidents, annual range = 0-11, mean = 3.27
    - No fatalities (unfortunately there is no information on severity of individual attacks)
    - Most incidents associated with food or garbage
    - Lots of incidents in some counties, none in many others (including mine)
    - Nearest incidents to me were within wilderness areas in Trinity and Siskiyou Counties, both are old (early 1990s)

Here's another link to Yosemite incidents. Note that this time, incidents are defined as monetary damage and it says that injuries were rare. So the CDFW link up top is a small subset of this much larger but geographically restricted database. A good example of why it's impossible to compare different datasets without knowing the assumptions and definitions behind each.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bearfacts.htm

Yosemite is bizarre, tourists do the dumbest things. They go too close to take photos, they feed the animals, and worse. It's amazing more people don't get hurt.

I once spent several weeks in Camp 4 at Yosemite, which is the slightly feral rock climbers camp not far from El Capitan. Cars get broken into by black bear about every other night, because idiots leave food there despite all the warnings. It looks like a giant can opener peeled back the doors, and they destroy the inside. See it the next morning, and gain much respect for brute animal strength. There's little fear of humans, I've had my tent snuffled at night and have seen individual animals walk through the middle of the crowded campground at dusk. People scare them away by banging pots and pans.

Actual conversation I overheard, two young women on the way back from the shower, one apparently without her glasses:

First lady, an American: Why is that woman wearing a fur coat?
    Second lady, heavy russian accent: That's a bear
    First lady: No, it's a lady in a fur coat
    Second lady: It's California, they don't wear fur here
    First lady: Oh. Shit.

The bear ignored them, they had no food.

A key member of my staff defended her masters thesis this afternoon, thus I was in the wildlife department building at the local university for a while. On the way out I took the following photos, they have an excellent collection of dead animal parts on display. A little anatomy study in case we ever need to aim those USP 45s.

Name:  IMG_1420.JPG
Views: 1034
Size:  62.3 KB
    A black bear skull

Name:  IMG_1422.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  42.6 KB
    A stuffed brown bear, the top of the glass case is about near my chest level

Name:  IMG_1423.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  35.0 KB
    Closer view of the head

Name:  IMG_1424.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  28.6 KB
    And a view it's best not to ever see with a real live example

Site Supporter
    Meh, I’m more concerned with Tweekus Americanus.

Name:  0701EDDC-7134-4288-8500-E198C0B00471.jpeg
Views: 1148
Size:  24.3 KB

Marked them for you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if anyone's interested, Copper Custom has LEM trade-in .40 USPs for $365 and V1 and V2's for $24 more.

https://coppercustom.com/firearms/ha...usp?filter=170
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Meh, I’m more concerned with Tweekus Americanus.

Name:  0701EDDC-7134-4288-8500-E198C0B00471.jpeg
Views: 1148
Size:  24.3 KB
    I can confirm that HST .45 +P from USP’s drop them like sacks of potatoes as well.

I have posted this before, but here is an Alaskan Kodiak Bear my wife mounted (saying “stuffed” to a taxidermist is likely saying “clip” instead of magazine to a serious gun person). It is a serious indication of how good you better be on round placement if your number gets called in their world. Note: many have confused this with the wedding pictures....close, but my nose is shorter....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I wish I had some pictures of the bears, and the tracks I nearly fell into when I was 14 hunting with my cousin on Admiralty island. But that was 20 years ago an I didn't have a camera.

Around here, this is as good as we get.
    Attachment 27644

User Tag List