Page 101 of 153 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1524

Thread: HK USP 45 field pistol

Quote Originally Posted by 1911nerd View Post
    The Mk23 was described to me by a former Navy door kicker as more akin to an SBR than a pistol. Honestly didn't seem to enthusiastic about it, but then he wasn't worried about Brown Bears, either.
    Given how comically large and heavy the MK23 is and how well proven the USP is, why would one ever consider the MK23 unless you were the size of André The Giant?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Given how comically large and heavy the MK23 is and how well proven the USP is, why would one ever consider the MK23 unless you were the size of André The Giant?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy
    I know a dude that's 6'6" and he likes his MK23.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    A senior leader on the 3ID staff carried a MK23 overseas (not sure how, etc. - sure it was MIL issue vs personal); anyway, it seems like the crew-served weapon of pistols

I have a USP 45 inbound... 10 days (because California), will add some thoughts when I've had a chance to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    I have a USP 45 inbound... 10 days (because California), will add some thoughts when I've had a chance to try it out.
    What sights you going to use, what trigger, what holster, what ammo?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What sights you going to use, what trigger, what holster, what ammo?
    First, I should say that the consciously less than fully practical choice I just made pretty much commits me to getting another one of these in the future.

I went with an Elite, for the following reasons:

- Short term, it's intended primarily for target shooting and that's one of the few gaps in my current collection;
    - I'm not anticipating any trips into brown bear country the balance of this year (although I may carry it on my next Kalmiopsis trip just to see how possible it is in rugged backcountry);
    - HK seems to make only occasional runs of Elites and Experts, and I don't see them in the current US catalog so it's probably just what's left in the stores for a while;
    - As far as I can tell there were only two Elite's still available anywhere near here, Experts are already gone locally, so it's now or not soon, while USPf's are readily available anytime;
    - It's on the CA DOJ approved roster this year, in the future who knows;
    - It was only $80 more than a USPf;
    - You and others here have reported on pretty much every variant except this one, so I figured I may as well add to the knowledge base;
    - Yeah it's big and looks a little odd at first, but it's grown on me. What's strange is that while it's obviously heavier than my USPc 45 it is so well balanced that it really doesn't feel like it.

Hows that for justifying something I want rather than need?

To answer the actual questions, it's going to stay out of the box stock for a while, maybe add the larger mag release but that's about it. Stock adjustable sights, and I'll leave it V1 DA/SA match for now. My USPc is already hybrid match LEM except for the trigger w/ trigger stop, I will probably eventually sell that, get a conventional USPf, and set that one up hybrid match LEM. But not yet.

Holster, I'm just starting to think about that and suggestions are welcome. Something OWB given the six-inch barrel, and maybe also a Hill Country kit bag for places where concealment is more important.

Ammo, you've already done a lot of the homework for us (which is much appreciated). I already have some Underwood Penetrator +p and Hornady Critical Duty +p in 45 acp, have some 230 gr reloads ready to go, and will stock up on enough assorted FMJ range ammo to put the new toy through its paces. Of course I'll need to go find a little 45 Super.

Now the wait...
    Last edited by Salamander; 06-25-2018 at 08:30 PM.

First, I should say that the consciously less than fully practical choice I just made pretty much commits me to getting another one of these in the future.

I went with an Elite, for the following reasons:

- Short term, it's intended primarily for target shooting and that's one of the few gaps in my current collection;
    - I'm not anticipating any trips into brown bear country the balance of this year (although I may carry it on my next Kalmiopsis trip just to see how possible it is in rugged backcountry);
    - HK seems to make only occasional runs of Elites and Experts, and I don't see them in the current US catalog so it's probably just what's left in the stores for a while;
    - As far as I can tell there were only two Elite's still available anywhere near here, Experts are already gone locally, so it's now or not soon, while USPf's are readily available anytime;
    - It's on the CA DOJ approved roster this year, in the future who knows;
    - It was only $80 more than a USPf;
    - You and others here have reported on pretty much every variant except this one, so I figured I may as well add to the knowledge base;
    - Yeah it's big and looks a little odd at first, but it's grown on me. What's strange is that while it's obviously heavier than my USPc 45 it is so well balanced that it really doesn't feel like it.

Hows that for justifying something I want rather than need?

To answer the actual questions, it's going to stay out of the box stock for a while, maybe add the larger mag release but that's about it. Stock adjustable sights, and I'll leave it V1 DA/SA match for now. My USPc is already hybrid match LEM except for the trigger w/ trigger stop, I will probably eventually sell that, get a conventional USPf, and set that one up hybrid match LEM. But not yet.

Holster, I'm just starting to think about that and suggestions are welcome. Something OWB given the six-inch barrel, and maybe also a Hill Country kit bag for places where concealment is more important.

Ammo, you've already done a lot of the homework for us (which is much appreciated). I already have some Underwood Penetrator +p and Hornady Critical Duty +p in 45 acp, have some 230 gr reloads ready to go, and will stock up on enough assorted FMJ range ammo to put the new toy through its paces. Of course I'll need to go find a little 45 Super.

Now the wait...
    On my Expert, I was able to use a much shorter Dawson FO front sight, and crank the rear sight down significantly. I would pass on the extended mag releases on the USP, as I have heard they don’t play well with heavy loads. Try some Underwood Lehigh xtreme. I like V3, which makes the lever decock only, and eliminates the possibility of the safety coming on at the wrong time, but if you like cocked and locked, that won’t work.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    On my Expert, I was able to use a much shorter Dawson FO front sight, and crank the rear sight down significantly. I would pass on the extended mag releases on the USP, as I have heard they don’t play well with heavy loads. Try some Underwood Lehigh xtreme. I like V3, which makes the lever decock only, and eliminates the possibility of the safety coming on at the wrong time, but if you like cocked and locked, that won’t work.
    Thanks, always happy to learn from the firsthand experience of others. I'm pretty facile taking HKs apart, so may indeed try V3 eventually.

Thanks, always happy to learn from the firsthand experience of others. I'm pretty facile taking HKs apart, so may indeed try V3 eventually.
    I am Glock only capable, which is the equivalent of a third grade level of mechanical aptitude. I can change to V3 in about a minute.

I did manage to take one poorly lit photo on the LGS counter:

Name:  IMG_1417.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  52.6 KB

User Tag List