Page 148 of 153 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,480 of 1524

Thread: HK USP 45 field pistol

Hey fellas,

I admit I didn't get a chance to read through all 100+ pages of this thread yet. I've been researching this whole field gun topic, and am looking to get a USP 45 for a hiking/bear gun.

Is there any reason NOT to get the USP 45 Tactical or USP 45 Expert over the standard USP 45?

I understand that the Tactical and Expert are a little more expensive, but I may have an opportunity to pick up one of the above for a similar price to what a plain USP 45 would cost.

From what I was able to find, they can still handle 45 Super. Any potential issues with the O-ring fitted barrels?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChknLivrNWsky View Post
    Hey fellas,

I admit I didn't get a chance to read through all 100+ pages of this thread yet. I've been researching this whole field gun topic, and am looking to get a USP 45 for a hiking/bear gun.

Is there any reason NOT to get the USP 45 Tactical or USP 45 Expert over the standard USP 45?

I understand that the Tactical and Expert are a little more expensive, but I may have an opportunity to pick up one of the above for a similar price to what a plain USP 45 would cost.

From what I was able to find, they can still handle 45 Super. Any potential issues with the O-ring fitted barrels?

Thanks
    following the answer with interest.

I have been watching various denominations of USP selling in the $600-$800 range for the last month wondering if I should grab one or not.

Site Supporter
    BLUF: Get the better deal if you can. Adding things later to make a Tactical doesn’t make financial sense if you can get it for the price of a “base” USP45.

The Tactical gets you a slightly longer barrel (if you don’t use a can/no problem), “better” sights, and a better trigger (potentially depending on when it was made).

I believe more experienced PF members WRT the Field Pistol will come along shortly. I’ve collected several USP45s, HK45s, and an Elite but if I could’ve picked up a Tactical or Expert for the same price, I would’ve absolutely pulled the trigger. I love them all and think you will as well. Worst case scenario, you’ll be able to unload the “deal” at a profit.

Hey fellas,

Thanks
    Last edited by CakeEater; 03-10-2024 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Added notes

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Interesting and timely as I’ve chucked the idea of picking up a Tisas 1911 for carry and am back on the HK wagon again. My opinion to your question: although the Expert and Match are factory tweaked a bit, you likely won’t be able to see the difference in performance over the standard USP 45FS. Mine is more accurate than I’m able to shoot. Holsters and support gear are difficult enough to come by for the standard models. The Match and Expert exponentially so. My USP 45 is my field/woods gun. I think (my opinion/your gun/your money) that the additional cost above the basic model would be better spent on a LEM kit, some basic HK tools, and/or a few more of those Teutoniclly priced magazines. Again my opinion. I don’t ever buy a gun with resale in mind. I buy it for what I think best suits my needs. In this case it’s a rugged-as-I-can-get field gun.

All that aside, I took both the USP 45 and USPc .40 to the range last week. I had not shot the compact in quite a while. I forgot what I was missing. The LEM has its quirks, but it was like I never left it for that cheap Austrian 9mm hooker. Lol. Both the .40 and the .45 are set up identical...LEM medium, tritium factory sights, and no lights. It’s my happy place. I’ve posted this before (others have as well) but both/either of those two guns will forever be in my possession and will what I will reach for if I need something that is 100%.. 200% of the time.

I’m sure someone will be by soon to say just the opposite! Lol
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

First of all, GJM is an expert in the HK USP 45 Field Pistol area. I pay a lot of attention to his and Darryl Bolke’s opinions on HK USP and LEM.

I think the USP full size standard is a great place to start. My favorite Pistols are HK USP Full size series pistols !

I have P30s, HK45s, USP45, USP9. Large bony hands.

When I grip USP with forearm in line with pistol, centered in web of hand, my finger joints bend exactly where the front grip frame corners are. This is very hand size and shape specific.
    This locks the USP in better for me than P30 or HK45. It takes a lot more force to move the boxy USP grip in my hand than more rounded P30, HK45 grips.

I may be in the minority.

I have / had HK USP 45s : several Elite, Expert , Tactical, Standard full size.

Daily CCW currently since Covid started is HK USP45 full size LEM. 5'11" 212 lbs, 20 pounds overweight. XL hands.
    If I thought there was a practical advantage in the Tactical or Exoert , I would carry it.
    I like either cocked and locked or LEM.
    LEM works better with my arthritis. YMMV.

Favorite set up is LEM / Match Hybrid Trigger in any of the USPs.

I do not like the Elite, long, unwieldly.

I very much like the Tactical and the Expert. Slightly favor the Tactical. Both are about 1911 full size length.
    Both supposedly shoot better than the standard, but short of a rest or a very good day it is hard for me to work to that standard. The match trigger in the Tactical and Exoert probably gain you more than the mechanical increase in accuracy.

Tactical and the Expert are long for AIWB comfort for me.

If you are thinking suppressor, USPT 45 is the answer.

Until you can shoot on demand groups <3'' at 25 yards I think the standard is fine. I routinely do 25 yard head shots.
    I have seen 50 yard 6''x6'' plates shot with the USPT45.

I have shot MGM BCC steel at 50 and 100 yards with all of them. I am not good enough to tell much difference between Standard, Tactical, Expert.

Hey fellas,

Thanks
    The main reason to get a regular USP is if you might carry it appendix, the other pistols are pretty long down there! While I have Experts in 9mm, I have just one Tactical in .45, with the rest all being the FS.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The main reason to get a regular USP is if you might carry it appendix, the other pistols are pretty long down there! While I have Experts in 9mm, I have just one Tactical in .45, with the rest all being the FS.
    I agree entirely, carried Tactical all day AIWB. Hopefully never again.

I have the standard USP 45 and had a USP 45 Expert. The Expert, for me, didn't click. The 6" barrel made that pistol cumbersome. As far as the O-ring goes, with the pistol completely empty of ammo, I could release the slide and slowly move it forward by hand into battery. You can feel the O-ring engage the slide. And one should feel this as it is a point of lockup.

As far as which USP variant to get, I would look as the pistol's mission, which in this case is a hiking/bear gun. Look at how you are going to carry the pistol, open or concealed. Then look at what equipment is available for your choice of carry. HK magazines are around $45 more or less. Lastly, the USP 45 is a large, service pistol. If you get a chance to shoot one, do it. That will be a point of reference too. Finally, I wish the grip texture was a bit more grippy. It looks like it should be, but I much prefer the grip texture of the M&P 2.0 or Glock gen 4/5. Good luck on making your choice and let us know what you decide purchase.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I tolerate carrying a SP101 AWIB. I tried really hard to like carrying a G19 AWIB, but never quite got there. I cannot fathom sticking an artillery piece like an USP down there with the boys. My hat is off to you...
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

I now recall someone from HK telling a former forum member that the USP FS was theoretically more reliable than the more fitted longer models, like the Expert, due to the longer ones being more "fitted." How much of a reliability difference is unknown.

USP FS isn't bad AIWB for me.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List