Page 137 of 153 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 1524

Thread: HK USP 45 field pistol

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Back to loading...

Looking at Cutting Edge monolithic solids...

Anyone mess with these?
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

What would you all think of moving these posts to the main USP thread, so we don't lose this information?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What would you all think of moving these posts to the main USP thread, so we don't lose this information?
    Do it

I’m fine with moving them.

FWIW, after doing some basic research, I’m going to call Cutting Edge in the morning, talk to tech, and most likely order a few boxes up to experiment with. They appear to have a better rep that the Lehigh’s do. I need to run a few questions past them on poly rifling before I drop my cc with an order.

They also have some nice looking ideas for .300BO too...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I’m fine with moving them.

FWIW, after doing some basic research, I’m going to call Cutting Edge in the morning, talk to tech, and most likely order a few boxes up to experiment with. They appear to have a better rep that the Lehigh’s do. I need to run a few questions past them on poly rifling before I drop my cc with an order.

They also have some nice looking ideas for .300BO too...
    If I recall, George changed from truncated cone flat points to Lehigh based on worries about absolute reliability of feeding. Although my recollection is he had no issues with feeding, it was only a worry and a theoretical reduction of risk due to the more standard profile of the Lehigh. The TC bullets have a wider flat point, which should be great for terminal effect, but goes in the wrong direction on the feeding reliability question. Would definitely use in a revolver.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I will talk to tech and see what they say. I can see feeding being more of an issue in 1911 platforms.

Site Supporter

Wright Armory

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Who can mill a USP FS for an Acro?
    George, looks like the guys in the P30 with RDS/PMO thread answered your question. I believe L&M (Mark) was the previously recommended shop but they’re out of business. Wright Armory has three options for the USP/P30/P2000 ranging from $395 to $575.

https://wrightarmory.com/pistol/

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....0-with-RDS-PMO

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Although my recollection is he had no issues with feeding, it was only a worry and a theoretical reduction of risk due to the more standard profile of the Lehigh. The TC bullets have a wider flat point, which should be great for terminal effect, but goes in the wrong direction on the feeding reliability question. Would definitely use in a revolver.
    Multiple stoppages in his wife's G29 was what prompted the switch I believe. It caused me a good bit of concern as that was what my magazine was loaded with at the time. I think there's a thread in the ammunition subforum about it but it was a few years ago.

The Lehigh design seems to be inherently more reliable than any other choice and testing as well as anecdotes from others seem to bear that out. Reading reports on successful and unsuccessful use of field pistols seem to indicate that getting the pistol out and putting bullets in the bear trumps all other concerns. There's limited data of course, but that's what it shows.

I've noticed that many of the reports of stoppages with hot TC bullets come from more skilled shooters. Whether better recoil control is a factor or they just do more testing I don't know.

I tried wide meplat loads from a number of the boutique loaders, including Buffalo Bore, Underwood, and Corbon, and couldn’t get them to run reliably in multiple copies of the Glock 20, 29, 22 with a KKM barrel, and third Gen S&W 10mm autos. I was able to make Buffalo Bore FMJ is Super run in USP and HK45C pistols. The Underwood Lehigh has run in every pistol I have tried in 9, 40, 10, 45 and 45 Super. The combination of a FMJ bullet profile and modest velocities seems to be the ticket to reliability.

I am leaning towards sending Wright Armory a USP FS 45 slide for an Acro and BUIS installation. Thinking about that, I brought a USP FS to the range today for some refam. First, I shot the Underwood Lehigh Penetrator ammo at about 20 yards to verify zero. Zero was fine, although I had forgot the Trijicon HD sights are closer to drive the dot than tip of the front sight.

Name:  AF3A7258-BAB4-42D6-B7A0-249A1434CD87.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  36.7 KB

We had set up an array for our regular practice, and I decided to shoot it with the USP FS with the Penetrator ammo, and then repeat with a Glock 45 with an optic, to compare performance. He is a short video with the two runs, starting with the USP. You can see the Penetrator ammo is a bit blasty.

Here is

Accuracy was comparable between the two, but my Glock run was about 4 seconds and my USP run was about 5.75 seconds or about .25 per shot. Some of that is irons vs an optic, but most of it is the HK trigger and the recoil of the Super ammo. Something I think about is that bear defense is not a match, and the marksmanship challenge gets easier with every shot.

User Tag List