Page 126 of 151 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 1504

Thread: HK USP 45 field pistol

Spring Nerd - white belt Science Attempt

3 main objectives of test/comparison. 1-Verify function w/ BB 45 Super 230gn FMJ-FN, 2-Compare different LEM springs, 3-Feel out the USP45FS LEM handling "mechanics" of recoil recovery and trigger prep/press.

USP Purchased a few years ago brand new. Maybe 100 rounds through it. This week - Ordered the Universal LEM Kit from HK web shop, installed myself...well my wife helped push the hammer axle through as I lined up the hammer, cocking piece and hammer rebound spring. I gave in and asked for help after repeatedly hitting myself in the eye with the small pin and spring that the trigger bar presses down on. You tube was HUGE.

Spring Combo Comparisons:
    1. Light TRS / Heavy LEM HS
    2. Light TRS / Light HS (blue)
    3. Heavy TRS / Light HS (blue) "TGS"?
    4. Heavy TRS / Heavy LEM HS

Skills Test, repeated for each spring combination. Used 3 CSAT TPI standards modifying Drill 3. All conducted at 7yds. Target used was a standard IPSC/USPSA w/ rectangle A zone.
    Drills 1 & 2 used NATO 230gn Ball. Drill 3 used the BB 45 Super. All drills were perfromed from the CSAT ready position w/ elbows touching ribs and muzzle slightly elevated.
    Total Ammo Count was 64 NATO and 100 BB 45 Super.

Drill 1 - Repeated x 6 - Press out, 1 hit / 1 target. CSAT standard is 1sec, my last G17 run was .73 cold.
    Drill 2 - Repeated x 5 - Press out, 2 hit / 1 target. CSAT TPI standard is 1.5sec, my last G17 run was 1.49 cold.
    Drill 3 - Repeated x 5 - 5 hits to body. (modified) CSAT TPI standard is 5 to body and 1 to head in 3sec, my last G17 run was 2.90 cold.

Mulligan Math averaging and scoring;
    -Dropped the slowest avg score. Drill 1 avg 5/6, Drill 2 avg 4/5 and Drill 3 avg 4/5
    -Out of 164 rounds, 7 of them counted as out of the A-Zone, a few barely and the rest less than an inch, all left or low.
    -Drills 2 and 3 only scored and averaged the split(s), omiiting the 1st shot. The press out/1st shot results revealed on Drill 1.

Results:

Light TRS / Heavy LEM HS
    .95 - Drill 1
    .62 - Drill 2
    .56 - Drill 3

Light TRS / Light HS (blue)
    .94 - Drill 1
    .59 - Drill 2
    .50 - Drill 3

Heavy TRS / Light HS (blue)
    .94 - Drill 1
    .46 - Drill 2
    .81 - Drill 3

Heavy TRS / Heavy LEM HS
    .95 - Drill 1
    .51 - Drill 2
    .53 - Drill 3

Drill 1 fastest time was .87 w/Heavy TRS/Light HS
    Drill 2 fastest time was 1.35 (.88, .47) w/ Heavy TRS/Light HS
    Drill 3 fastest time was 2.72 w/ Light TRS/Light HS

Conclusion -
    LEM USP 45 FS w/ BB .45 Super will work for my intended purpose of an Alaska Field Pistol (supplements the Ruger 44mag SRH). For that purpose based on my mulligan scoring and averaging - I believe that any of the spring combo's will work as there was not to great of a disparity inbetween performance and split times. One variable that definitely became a testing factor was that the slide stop notched a hole in the base of my support thumb/palm crease. Another variable was that the second box of 50 BB Super rounds felt alot "heftier" imcomparison to the 1st box, which may have been amplified by the broken skin on my support hand. The second box of BB and broken skin started with the Heavy TRS so I'm not 100% sure it got a fair shake out. BB boxes of 50 had different lot numbers and labeling.
    If I wanted to repeat the test I would use standard .45 ACP for every drill and grind down that damn slide stop.

I did like the pull characteristics of the Heavy TRS/Light HS but the numbers point me to the Light LEM.

Moving forward I will have the Triji HD's installed and most likely use the Light LEM combo and possibly order the parts fot the LEM/Match Hybrid.........also curious about the DA/SA Match set up w/ decocker only.

How light has anyone gotten the DA/SA Match set up? I do have a LTT Elite and many years behind a B92

Hopefully this virus lifestyle dissapates and the BJJ gym opens backup so Iam not spending time and money on HK!

Jeremy

Site Supporter
    Name:  E581EB0E-188D-4D11-BACB-6E3F5A70B390.jpg
Views: 1731
Size:  38.9 KB
    Just picked this HK45 up from a co-worker.
    Appears to be unfired by the buyer.
    This would make a nice “field pistol” here in the Virginia woods.
    Looking forward to range time hopefully this weekend with GI type ball reloads and will snag a case of Ranger T when Atlantic Tactical has another sale...

Just an excuse to post a pretty picture:

Name:  lassic-1.jpg
Views: 1455
Size:  79.6 KB

USP 45 near the summit of Black Lassic Mountain on Monday/Memorial Day.
    Last edited by Salamander; 05-27-2020 at 10:57 PM.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    A bit of archeology here....

GJM, are you still running this for field use?

I spent a few months trying to become “one with the red dot” I had mounted on my USP. No luck. I finally ditched it and went back to the factory fixed sights. I’ve run it that way since basically last summer. Looking at giving Dawson a call and getting set up with some FO for my aging eyeballs.

I’ve been very happy with USP. Like it’s USPc counterparts, it has simply run and run without a single bobble. I mounted a Safariland paddle on the Gideon for vehicle use (it sits higher and is comfortable for long drives when I want something more substantial than a snub, yet don’t want the unattended security issues of a long gun). Field use I’m still running the Gideon with the QLS fork or the Safariland with the hood on a Stormrider belt. Very robust setup.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    A bit of archeology here....

GJM, are you still running this for field use?

I spent a few months trying to become “one with the red dot” I had mounted on my USP. No luck. I finally ditched it and went back to the factory fixed sights. I’ve run it that way since basically last summer. Looking at giving Dawson a call and getting set up with some FO for my aging eyeballs.

I’ve been very happy with USP. Like it’s USPc counterparts, it has simply run and run without a single bobble. I mounted a Safariland paddle on the Gideon for vehicle use (it sits higher and is comfortable for long drives when I want something more substantial than a snub, yet don’t want the unattended security issues of a long gun). Field use I’m still running the Gideon with the QLS fork or the Safariland with the hood on a Stormrider belt. Very robust setup.
    When in Alaska, I have been using the USP FS 45 or HK45C with Underwood Lehigh Super penetrator loads. In lower 48, been carrying a 9mm more with Underwood Lehigh.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    Just an excuse to post a pretty picture: USP 45 near the summit of Black Lassic Mountain on Monday/Memorial Day.
    Salamander, what sights are you running on that one?

Thanks,

Matt

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    GJM:

Appreciate the reply.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    When in Alaska, I have been using the USP FS 45 or HK45C with Underwood Lehigh Super penetrator loads. In lower 48, been carrying a 9mm more with Underwood Lehigh.
    GJM, I am taking this as "what it takes to punch a big bruin's noggin" and the relative size, skull density, etc. of predators in AK vs the lower 48?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    GJM, I am taking this as "what it takes to punch a big bruin's noggin" and the relative size, skull density, etc. of predators in AK vs the lower 48?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
    A hard 9 would be fine for both; I just can't get @GJM to field test it in AK.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    Salamander, what sights are you running on that one?

Thanks,

Matt
    Tall Meprolights off the HK website... pretty sure they're the "high profile adjustable target sights" that are standard on the USP Tactical. They're the tritium version of the tall black target sights on my USP Elite, and I really like those for accuracy so decided to give these a try. So far no issues holding zero after up to several days off trail in the backcountry. At this writing they're apparently even in stock.

https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefron...ights/p/701101

User Tag List