Page 115 of 151 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 1504

Thread: HK USP 45 field pistol

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In the USP FS, I settled on Critical Duty 230 +P as my JHP load and Underwood 45 Super with the Lehigh penetrator as my penetration field load.
    Question for you, GJM: What would be your wilderness choice/preference with Underwood Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator cartridges: .45 ACP/.45 CP +P, or .40 (or would it likely be a wash)?

I'm getting ready for my hunting backup this fall, using either my Gen 3 Glock G21 or Gen4 G22; my inclination is to stick with the Gen4 G22 (which is what I used last year, with Underwood Lehigh 140 grainers), but I value your feedback.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In the USP FS, I settled on Critical Duty 230 +P as my JHP load and Underwood 45 Super with the Lehigh penetrator as my penetration field load.
    Haven't tried Critical Duty because I have a boatload of Federal HST 230 +P. That load kills deer like the Hammer of Thor. Have shot over a dozen with it and none have gone more than 25 yards.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Question for you, GJM: What would be your wilderness choice/preference with Underwood Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator cartridges: .45 ACP/.45 CP +P, or .40 (or would it likely be a wash)?

I'm getting ready for my hunting backup this fall, using either my Gen 3 Glock G21 or Gen4 G22; my inclination is to stick with the Gen4 G22 (which is what I used last year, with Underwood Lehigh 140 grainers), but I value your feedback.

Best, Jon
    With the Xtreme penetrator load for use in the lower 48, I would be agnostic between all the calibers you mentioned plus 9mm. Whatever pistol you shoot best or feel most suitable for hunting conditions.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Found 7 50rd boxes of Buffalo Bore .45Super (3 185gr JHP, 2 200gr JHP, and 2 230gr JHP) here locally in Dallas. Bought the 4 boxes of heavier stuff for $38.95.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Allright! Beside the bed blaster and property hiking gun complete....

1. Swapped out safety plate for decocker only.
    2. Found a Surefire adaptor I remembered seeing at a local gunstore more that 10 years ago. This guy puts MSRP on everything so he ends up being a place where things tend to linger on the wall. Good for me.
    3. Ordered a DG switch off Ebay.
    4. Swapped X400 off my Beretta.

Untitled by stoiclawyer, on Flickr
    Nice setup you have yourself there, I love me some USP...

Anybody here tried 450 SMC? A friend who is an HK and Walther guy like myself said he's put several hundred rounds through an old USP 45 and 800+ through a PPQ 45.

Supposedly case design and a rifle primer make it good to go for any decent service size/grade 45 that can handle and reliably run +p.

Need some adjustments and lots of work here on my part...

I normally carry and practice with a USP/c LEM 9mm, and I am finding the .45 Super to be a different animal for sure in terms of recoil and shot to shot recovery. Clearly necessary to adjust the pace on my part. I need to focus on fundamentals, slightly slower splits and letting the sights settle, tightening up the groups and adjusting my POA on this target (this was approx 18 yards as fast as I could run the gun .45 Super). Just cranked the Dillon to create some hot 45 ACP for practice the next few weeks.

Name:  bear target.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  62.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I normally carry and practice with a USP/c LEM 9mm, and I am finding the .45 Super to be a different animal for sure in terms of recoil and shot to shot recovery. Clearly necessary to adjust the pace on my part. I need to focus on fundamentals, slightly slower splits and letting the sights settle, tightening up the groups and adjusting my POA on this target (this was approx 18 yards as fast as I could run the gun .45 Super). Just cranked the Dillon to create some hot 45 ACP for practice the next few weeks.

As I understand it, those snout hits are just right. @GJM

???
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post

If you are simulating stopping a determined bear, I would draw a circle around the nose and eyes and consider anything outside just a warning shot.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

And how big of a circle that may be? No bigger than 6” maybe. Firing at a fast moving 6” target towards you at a distance say 10yd away, you may only have a chance to fire one shot hoping it was a hit and then run like hell if not already.

User Tag List