Page 28 of 153 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast

Thread: HK USP 45 field pistol

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I see the penetration data through the different mediums with the .40 and .45 loads, but not the 10mm Critical Duty. Is it just my connection or am I looking in the wrong place?
    the 2nd of the two links has the testing data

http://www.hornadyle.com/products/ha...75-gr-flexlock

That link was the page open to the penetration data for the 10mm load.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Thanks, that worked. If you look at steel, plywood and glass, .45 and .357 Sig look darn good.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I would like to throw an online version of a hissy fit.

So, I get my Gen 3 Glock 29SF running today, with Hornady Critical Duty. Marvel at how small it is to carry, and how easy to shoot, compared to the HK. Look at the penetration and velocity data for the Hornady 10mm load, and worry that it is closer to .40 S&W performance, than 10mm. Drag out the new stash of 2016 Federal Trophy Bonded 10mm, which while not crazy hot/heavy, is more like what one associates with 10mm. Three rounds into the first magazine of Trophy Bonded, I get a stoppage. Change magazines, fill with Trophy Bonded, and a few rounds into another magazine, get another stoppage. In disgust, I put down the Glock 29 and shoot 63 rounds of .45 Super and .acp through my USP 45, of course without issue. So the Glock 29 really seems to work well with .40 S&W power factor ammo.

So, I get my Gen 3 Glock 29SF running today, with Hornady Critical Duty. Marvel at how small it is to carry, and how easy to shoot, compared to the HK. Look at the penetration and velocity data for the Hornady 10mm load, and worry that it is closer to .40 S&W performance, than 10mm. Drag out the new stash of 2016 Federal Trophy Bonded 10mm, which while not crazy hot/heavy, is more like what one associates with 10mm. Three rounds into the first magazine of Trophy Bonded, I get a stoppage. Change magazines, fill with Trophy Bonded, and a few rounds into another magazine, get another stoppage. In disgust, I put down the Glock 29 and shoot 63 rounds of .45 Super and .acp through my USP 45, of course without issue. So the Glock 29 really seems to work well with .40 S&W power factor ammo.
    What kind of malfunction?

So you are saying that you can either have shootability or reliability with hot rounds but not both? Too bad on the G29.

Quote Originally Posted by jst0915 View Post
    So you are saying that you can either have shootability or reliability with hot rounds but not both? Too bad on the G29.
    Yep, unfortunately, that is exactly what I am saying.

Site Supporter
    Let me guess: feedway stoppage with the real 10mm ammo. Sounds like the slide velocity is outrunning the magazine spring action?
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Well George, I was eagerly awaiting your testing of 10mm loads in different guns, particularly the smaller G29.

But then I got it. Darn.

Do you think that playing around with spring weights in the G29 would improve reliability with the heavier loads? Or has that be tried?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Let me guess: feedway stoppage with the real 10mm ammo. Sounds like the slide velocity is outrunning the magazine spring action?
    We have a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    Well George, I was eagerly awaiting your testing of 10mm loads in different guns, particularly the smaller G29.

But then I got it. Darn.

Do you think that playing around with spring weights in the G29 would improve reliability with the heavier loads? Or has that be tried?

Thanks.
    Never really messed with recoil springs in the 29. Tried in the 20, and it didn't seem to make a difference.

The sweet spot of shootability and reliability seems to be Glock in 9mm and HK in 40/45.

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    What kind of malfunction?
    The "Not shooting an HK kind".

We have a winner!

Never really messed with recoil springs in the 29. Tried in the 20, and it didn't seem to make a difference.

The sweet spot of shootability and reliability seems to be Glock in 9mm and HK in 40/45.
    Believe it or not...I would actually agree with the caveat being some Glocks in 9mm and not all of them.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List