Page 4 of 153 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: HK USP 45 field pistol

I have one or two Delta Colt 1911's in 10mm. I just have never warmed to carrying a 1911 as a field handgun while wading in streams, moose hunting in bogs, being out in extreme cold, shooting with gloves, etc. Next year, I probably will shoot a STI in USPSA Limited, so my feelings might change.

I will say that my main JoJo's tuned Delta 10mm has never malfunctioned.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Great thread. Thanks for putting the time in to document the results of your testing. I've been following the various threads on semi-autos for backwoods carry. I'm currently in the lower 48 so I've been carrying 686-5 but have been looking at something lighter that holds more rounds like a Glock 20 or 29. The reliability issues with the heavier ammo have given me pause though. I do have a USP 45 sitting in the cabinet I picked up a while back. Looks like I probably can save myself some expense and still fit my needs with it. Thanks again.

Excellent thread.

GJM, do you find the USP is getting beaten up more than normal shooting the 45 Super loads? Are you replacing parts/springs at a quicker interval?

Are the HK45's also rated for 45 super?

Not GJM, but HK MK23 and HK USP 45s can use .45 super in stock condition. hkpro goes into this a lot. HK45,HK45c, USPc evidently are not as suitable for Super.
    American Handgunner 2002 Tactical Annual's USP article said 6000 rounds of .45 Super were run through a stock USP 45 without issue.
    The S&W 1076 and HK USP .45 Super threads had some of this.

Would the moderators be willing to combine the all HK .45 Super together ?

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Would the moderators be willing to combine the all HK .45 Super together ?
    I'll work on this when I get in front of a computer a little later on.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Thanks!

The posts leading to the creation of this thread can be found here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....5-Super-thread

I could not figure out a way to insert the posts without making this thread ugly. Vbulletin places posts in chronological order when moving posts between threads, which would have put GJM's first post in this thread 34 posts after the beginning of the thread.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Robertson Trading Post has police trade-in (Roanoke, VA) USP 45's for under $600 with one mag.

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    of course, the rest of the quote should be, that in many instances HK pistols in 9mm are like wearing combat boots to a black tie/dancing event.
    Or flip flop's....

Just read this thread. Good information and the USP 45 makes sense in this role. It can handle it. I love my Ruger Alaskan (and all my other bear guns........which are an excuse to buy revolvers I don't need, but like). Realistically, for me this may be a new found role for my stainless USP .45. Great stuff and I think this makes far more sense than .40 or 10mm in their platforms.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

GJM - can you qualify (deliberately avoided "quantify") the respective rapid fire handling characteristics of the USP shooting Supers and your other recent primary field pistols say 1076, G29 and G22? Not raw speed and splits necessarily; you already covered that pure speed performance is not the purpose here. Got that part.

I agree with the track here; a USP45 sounds like the best mousetrap for this role yet. But just as some carry deep penetrating .357 loads because the .44 is too much I'm curious how an experienced shooter assesses handling at speed between these.

Yeah the Super is throwing more oomph but it's a bigger fatter gun so maybe that evens that out some.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List