Page 130 of 153 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 1524

Thread: HK USP 45 field pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Forte Smitten Wesson View Post
    Obviously not quite as well, but suffice to say, good enough that I'd be willing to trust my life to it.

Most folks shoot the Shockwave from the hip, which obviously isn't beneficial towards accuracy, ergo their accuracy with it is unimpressive. However, I doubt that most folks who buy the Shockwave do so with any intention of using it in a defensive role, but rather for recreation or the obvious cool factor, most likely with preconceptions that decent accuracy was impossible without a stock, so they never even bothered seeking methods of how to aim/shoot it accurately.

Still, I'm surprised that they haven't found a niche as wilderness defense firearms, particularly among former military/law enforcement personnel who were familiar with the use/operation of similar short-barreled shotguns in similar configurations. Granted that military/police most often trained to use them in close quarters where full-length shotguns weren't good for maneuverability and that they were most likely primarily used for breaching, but even so, I figured that they might recognize them for the potential in the field. Apparently not though.
    This is based on your experience?

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Which I guess means you'll be hiking in a group of at least three.
    Well played sir!

There was a little back and forth about this.
    I mentioned tying her shoes for her.
    She said she can haul ass barefoot.
    I said, that settled it, I was bringing a suppressed .22.
    She honestly had no idea where that joke was going.
    She said she didn't think the .22 was a good choice for a bear.
    I told her I agreed, but its a great choice for your kneecap!
    I could hear her gasp on the other end of the phone.

The others in the group were laughing pretty hard!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Forte Smitten Wesson View Post
    Obviously not quite as well, but suffice to say, good enough that I'd be willing to trust my life to it.

Most folks shoot the Shockwave from the hip, which obviously isn't beneficial towards accuracy, ergo their accuracy with it is unimpressive. However, I doubt that most folks who buy the Shockwave do so with any intention of using it in a defensive role, but rather for recreation or the obvious cool factor, most likely with preconceptions that decent accuracy was impossible without a stock, so they never even bothered seeking methods of how to aim/shoot it accurately.

Still, I'm surprised that they haven't found a niche as wilderness defense firearms, particularly among former military/law enforcement personnel who were familiar with the use/operation of similar short-barreled shotguns in similar configurations. Granted that military/police most often trained to use them in close quarters where full-length shotguns weren't good for maneuverability and that they were most likely primarily used for breaching, but even so, I figured that they might recognize them for the potential in the field. Apparently not though.
    I am aware of some police departments that issued pistol grip shotguns to certain types of officers, but am not aware of any such officers who liked or would have chosen those guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    As you know in and around places like Bozo and Missoula, it is an entirely different breed of people. I Wholeheartedly endorse shotguns. Its the pistol grip only, short barrel shotguns that I don't care for. Trying to shoot slugs through one quickly at a fast moving target when you yourself are likely to be on uneven ground is not something I would want to rely on. I would much rather have a stock on my gun, even a youth stock.

I have seen a few people at ranges with the shockwave style guns, and their skill at arms with such guns is dismal, and that is while shooting at a stationary piece of cardboard..
    I've done a lot of hunting, shooting and hiking with mine. It fits nicely on the side of my osprey Atmos pack.

Name:  20200717_143217.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  39.2 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I've done a lot of hunting, shooting and hiking with mine. It fits nicely on the side of my osprey Atmos pack.

Name:  20200717_143217.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  39.2 KB
    Interesting soundtrack to the car shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Interesting soundtrack to the car shooting.

@03RN, that’s impressive shooting with the Shockwave. Full power buckshot or low recoil? How much of your skill with this weapon depends on you being a monster?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @03RN, that’s impressive shooting with the Shockwave. Full power buckshot or low recoil? How much of your skill with this weapon depends on you being a monster?
    I think all that shooting above was with bulk birdshot.

This is with 3” mag buckshot, though I typically use low recoil buck/slugs in it.

I can't really say how much muscle is needed, just that Im comfortable with it.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I wonder about the penetration. In a test skull, well lined up, it appears the Lehigh bullets will get through. But if the shot is less well-centered and the bullet strikes away from center and hits bone at more of an oblique angle, it seems to me that a bullet with twice the mass and similar velocity would be less likely to be deflected by the bone. Heavier tends to be better at continuing in the direction it's going and smashing things that are in the way.

I obviously have zero experience to try to judge how that consideration weighs out against the likelihood of improved marksmanship with a 9mm.

I could probably dig it out of another thread, but what dot are you using for outdoors? I seem to remember you posting a few years back where you tried an open-emitter dot outdoors and either condensation or a water droplet dispersed the light at the emitter so there was no dot on the lens.

Many years ago, long before PF I found a fascinating blog written by a long time AK hunter who got fairly well mauled once and was saved by hunting partners shooting the brownie. He made quite a study of bear defense and spoke in some detail of testing Alaska Troopers did on whole brown/grizzly bear heads they had the DNR freeze and save for them (from a variety of causes of death of the bear, road kills for example).

The Troopers were evaluating service calibers and heavier revolvers. What he reported as to the Troopers' findings was that if the skull was hit solid, all the service pistols penetrated the skulls. That was 9mm, .40 and .45 at the time as I recall. He also reported they found that on a less than solid glancing hit, .44 magnum slugs should be expected to deflect and fail also.

I've looked and looked for years since for that blog to no avail sadly so it's just a story now. "Is that a true story?" "It's true that its a story." (Sheriff Ed Tom Bell )

In any case, I take it the AK Troopers subsequently chose the .40 Glocks.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Also wonder about the effects of ammo selection. Old-school non-bonded, bonded, something like the Lehigh might perform differently.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List