Page 80 of 153 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130 ... LastLast

Thread: HK USP 45 field pistol

If a VP45 comes out, would it be considered as suitable a field pistol as the USP?

And I'm wondering how suitable a stainless P220 would be as a super launcher?

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    And I'm wondering how suitable a stainless P220 would be as a super launcher?
    I could be completely off base, but i imagine it would not work very well. Seems like the stainless frames would not take it that well, and the slide velocity, even with 45 +P seems on the faster side to me.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    There's a whole thread from earlier this year about stainless vs aluminum classic Sigs. The frame itself should last OK, but in .45, the all-steel ones go through takedown levers considerably faster than the aluminum frames. Even if resprung for .45 Super, you'd probably go through those even faster. Stronger takedown levers have been made, but are no longer available from Sig.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    As you know, I'm a dyed in the wool hammer man. As of today, if I had to choose, I would carry the VP9 over the USP9.
    How come?

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    If a VP45 comes out, would it be considered as suitable a field pistol as the USP?
    To be determined.

Right now, the USP FS and HK45C combo do all I need, are vetted by me and others, and I have them plus support gear.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    You really can't know if LEM works for you unless you try it for a while.

The USP DA/SA is significantly better than every other HK set up for same, save the HK45. If I were you, I'd get a USP or USPc in light LEM and a couple springs to play with. Worst case, you don't like the LEM and I guarantee you someone here would trade you their DA/SA parts plus some cash for your LEM parts. I really don't think you can lose here if you are honestly in the market for a new HK.
    Well, thanks to GJM and all of you other enablers I have a V2 LEM P2000 coming that I found lightly used for a smoking deal. Before you protest regarding going with a P2000, that's the only (near) full-size 9mm HK on the "Safe Handgun" approved roster in California and thus the least expensive way to try a HK LEM. Can't wait to run it and see how I like the LEM trigger. I'll be ordering a V3 hammer spring and a reduced power FPBS to experiment with.

Quote Originally Posted by hlb14 View Post
    Thought some might like to know the 45 Expert is available for pre-order.

http://www.ammobros.com
    I hope this is imported on the scale of the USP expert 9mm's... I may not have the funds now but definitely want one

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I could be completely off base, but i imagine it would not work very well. Seems like the stainless frames would not take it that well, and the slide velocity, even with 45 +P seems on the faster side to me.
    Thanks, and I expect you are correct. I remember the threads from John on the stainless issues breaking takedown levers. Just not an HK fan and looking for alternatives. For dinking around in the woods, maybe there isn't one

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Thanks, and I expect you are correct. I remember the threads from John on the stainless issues breaking takedown levers. Just not an HK fan and looking for alternatives. For dinking around in the woods, maybe there isn't one
    I am convinced that the USP 45 is the best pistol for woods defense, but I am not convinced that the ammo available will work measurably better than the same bullets in 45 acp or +P. A 220 with your favorite bullet would likely be just fine. If it was intelligently altered via recoil spring weight/hammer/mainspring/flashlight/maybe something else? I imagine it would hold up to limited amounts of 45super just fine.

Please do not put a beating on me for this one; but I recall the Ruger P90 was originally designed for the 10mm cartridge and thus was over-built for the .45 ACP chambering. Perhaps an alternative for hot +P ACP or Super 45.

User Tag List