Page 120 of 151 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 1504

Thread: HK USP 45 field pistol

Hammertime
    Yeah, the HK just isn’t that bad to strip if you have the TRS tool. I was surprised by how simple the firing mechanism is. It just hard to remember which part goes which way.

The USP FS .45 is incredibly weight efficient for a field pistol.

Name:  C9D3EAEC-BB1F-4D36-8C76-E34BA123CF0C.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  46.0 KB

Something I especially like, is the HD rear sight is contained in the dovetail, as opposed to overhanging rearward, which makes the USP easier to carry, since you don’t have a sharp rear sight tearing you and your garments up.

I am sorry that Tony at JM doesn’t support the USP anymore. Here is one holster he did that fits a regular USP and the Tactical.

Name:  68C40D0D-0EFB-4F5C-BBEA-3120F1FE0A26.jpg
Views: 1167
Size:  61.8 KB

Name:  43D185FD-87B1-4824-BA14-22D325D16593.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  64.5 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

A USP FS with the Underwood Lehigh Super loads and a Benelli M2 14 inch loaded with Brenneke slugs with a micro and Surefire is my favorite AK field set-up.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I guess my “hangup” on it was that it’s “unconventional”. I had replaced the TRS a while back after breakage on a USPc. Also updated the firing pin on the same gun after a failure on an issued gun sent that to the armorer. So, I had dabbled a bit, but never with the frame. There is a pretty good tutorial on the HK site on the process too, which helped.

Sights are next to experiment with. Both USPc’s have factory night sights. The USP has standard 3-dot. Doing the initial hunt for purchase, my choices were a new gun with non-tritium sights, or used with dim tritium sights...lol. I thought I would shoot it a bit and see the direction I want to go. I have a P220 with Ameriglo Operators (orange dot)on them. They are nice. However, in this case, having everything the same across the board may have the advantage.

Funny you mention that rear sight. Years back, when I had the firing pin fracture on USPc #1, it locked the slide up solid about 3/8” out of battery. When it occurred, I was qualifying and figured I just had a FTF. I did the drill, only the slide did not budge. The result was that I ripped the web of my left hand open on the sight edge as I attempted to rack the slide. Lots of blood and a highly stressed out new RO added to the fun. Then there was the fact that there was a live round in the chamber as well. I gladly gave that one to the armorer to figure out. (As an aside, I never had another firing pin failure and had the gun swapped out as a precaution somewhere in excess of 60K rounds.)

Yes, it’s too bad that such a fine pistol (and design) has lost traction with support. I looked long and hard to find a holster for it. I originally wanted a Safariland ALS but quickly discovered they were not to be had...along with anything else from Safariland either. Thanks to yourself and Dale Fricke, I got myself set up. I dont plan to carry this thing IWB, so the Gideon should work out fine. Thanks again for your guidance on this project.
    Last edited by entropy; 08-21-2019 at 09:45 AM.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Sorry. Meant to post this here, but it ended up in another thread by accident.

A bit of an update on progress. I finally had the opportunity to get it out into it’s intended environment and do some shooting. I ran a few hundred rounds of S&B 230gr FMJ through it, along with some HST to assure feeding and compare POI. As expected with anything HK, it ran without a single hiccup. The frame size difference between the .45 and the USPc wasn’t really apparent until I started running drills. Years of engrained grip habits and feel/handling showed up a bit in the results. Impacts generally were about an inch to 1 1/2” low and left. (I’m right handed.) The “occasional yank”...which I have fought to overcome long and hard over the years with the compact came back too. I imagine both are due to the slightly different ergonomics associated with the larger frame. That’s just practice and it will alleviate I believe once I get more rounds downrange with it. Along with that, I experienced some fatigue associated with the the heavier TRS. I get the same thing with USPc #1 after extended practice sessions. (That one is set up as “heavy”.) Again, I believe to the slightly different ergonomics. I might fiddle with that a bit by installing a lighter FPB spring and/or reinstalling the original (lighter) TRS. Maybe my aged butt just needs to sit and squeeze a tennis ball while watching TV too...

A few minor issues with the holster as well. Using the QLS threaded belt attachment along with a single thickness Beltman belt, I had a bit of “droop” or “pull away” while carrying. I believe this is due to the much heavier grip frame of the .45, along with the fact that the QLS attachments provide enough gap between the body and the holster/body to allow that droop to naturally occur. I didn’t have the paddle attachment with me to swap and compare (I actually find the paddle holds the holster a bit closer to the body) nor did I have different belts to swap out for a support comparison. I’ll try that out when I return home.

Overall, despite the above, I’m happy with it. It functioned flawlessly, feels familiar enough that I can adapt to the size difference, and is certainly accurate enough to more than satisfy that requirement. Most of the testing was done at 15yds both on paper and steel. Ragged holes were the norm (although as stated a bit to 7 o’clock) and “head shots” on a 2/3 IPSC plate were pretty easy. I’d post the obligatory pic, but the steel has been painted over, and the cardboard is just a ragged scrap at this point filled with pasters.....so....

In regards the LEM FPBS, after trying several different combinations of TRS, FPBS, and HS springs in my LEM pistols, I have come to prefer the light FPBS regardless of which TRS is used. To me it makes for a much smoother trigger pull having the light FPBS with either weight TRS.

My preferred combination has become the light FPBS and heavy LEM HS with either the light or heavy TRS. The TRS version depends upon the intended usage of the pistol.

The start of my vacation trip to WY is a business/work trip to Denver this week, I thought it was so very considerate of my hotel here to decorate my room here with a dry fire target....

Name:  Gaylord Rockies Room Decor.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  54.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    The Underwood ammo is plenty accurate, no problem getting 92-96 all in the black on a Vickers drill. I still need some work however.

At least fewer warning shots today.

Attachment 41235

....have a few beers...hit the sack...body messed up from time zone changes...wake up at 0300...light from window edging thru to illuminate wall...still half asleep...

Hang a towel over it! Lol

Where would one look, if one were looking for a NIB pair of USP 45 Tactical pistols?
    I had a pair of first or second year of production USP 45's at one time - looking to remedy that and cannot find a dealer with any in stock.

I've read this entire thread twice - possibly one of the best and most informative threads ever.

User Tag List