Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Practice ammunition?

I've been having good luck with Aguila 124gr 9mm and even run it for USPSA/IDPA

I took a stab at Atlanta Arms this month with their Select 124gr 9mm but unfortunately out of the case of 1000 I've had about 20 failures caused by weak loads.

This isn't to say that it's bad but I've talked to some sponsored shooters who have stated that recently Atlanta Arms is probably going though what Freedom Munitions did in terms of inconsistent loads. I've also gotten information that some shooters running Atlanta Arms at Area 6 did not have their ammo make the Chrono. Hopefully they sort it out and the loads that do work are really flat shooting make great match ammo. But right now my guns like Mexican food so I'll feed them Aguila for the time being.

I found American Eagle 147 grain flat nose FMJ cheap. It makes an excellent practice ammo if you carry the Federal HST in 147 grain such as myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Yugomaster View Post
    I found American Eagle 147 grain flat nose FMJ cheap. It makes an excellent practice ammo if you carry the Federal HST in 147 grain such as myself.
    Yeah, I did a mixed mag test with those from a G43 and it felt and hit identical to the standard pressure HST 147.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmetallurgy View Post
    Yeah, I did a mixed mag test with those from a G43 and it felt and hit identical to the standard pressure HST 147.
    Same here, and that is my practice ammo of choice.

Is it important to train with the same bullet weight that you carry?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by bigslim View Post

Mike
    I'm not sure it makes a difference for the type of (combat) shooting I do. I have been carrying 147gr HST (standard pressure) and training recently with 147gr Speer Lawman. But when I went for my LEOSA quals a couple weeks ago with my G19 and G26 I used 147gr HST, 147gr Lawman, 124gr Sellier & Bellot and 115gr American Eagle as I already had a number of mags filled up with each of the rounds and was curious if it would throw me off.

Shooting day and simulated night stages for each gun, my lowest score was 95% and I realized when I got home that the front sight had loosened up during the qual for that pistol. So, now I'm not so sure that it makes a difference for me. On the other hand, if I was a competition shooter like many here, it might be much more significant so I'll confine my comments to my own particular set of requirements.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by bigslim View Post

Mike
    I don't sweat it. Our training ammo is 124 +P, our carry ammo is 147 sub sonic - and I've never had an issue with POA/POI. I've shot plenty of personally procured 115gr and 124 standard pressure, same results.

If you're talking about carrying 125 gr JHP .357 mag, and shooting .38 special 148 gr powder puff wadcutters, there might be an issue - otherwise I wouldn't sweat it...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I don't sweat it. Our training ammo is 124 +P, our carry ammo is 147 sub sonic - and I've never had an issue with POA/POI. I've shot plenty of personally procured 115gr and 124 standard pressure, same results.

If you're talking about carrying 125 gr JHP .357 mag, and shooting .38 special 148 gr powder puff wadcutters, there might be an issue - otherwise I wouldn't sweat it...
    I can see the difference in that example but I wasn't sure if 147 or 124 +p was a big enough difference to 115 ball.

Mike

$354 per 1000 Speer Gold Dot JHP 147 grain....

https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/coll...-1000rds-53619

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TYR View Post
    $354 per 1000 Speer Gold Dot JHP 147 grain....

https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/coll...-1000rds-53619

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    I’ve bought from them several times now. Completely satisfactory. Great deals on Federal HST too.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

User Tag List