Thread: Midway Ammo Sale

Site Supporter

Midway Ammo Sale

Midwayusa has S&B .45 ACP ammo for $234.99/case of 1000. We can't reload it for this price. I messed up the link and deleted it during edit. My apologies.
    Last edited by willie; 10-22-2017 at 01:17 PM.

Site Supporter
    Thanks, palmguy.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    We can't reload it for this price.
    Sure you can. Blue bullets 230 grain .45 bullets are 10.8 cents per when bought by the case, primers are ~3 cents per, and powder shouldn't be more than 2 cents/round, probably less, depending on which powder you use. The first site I googled my way to had 3000-count .45 brass for $200, which works out to 6.7 cents per, so even if you have to buy brass and never recover any after shooting, you beat the S&B sale by 1 cent/round. I'm not saying a 1-cent/round margin would make it actually worthwhile to do, but it's probably also possible to get brass cheaper, and you can probably recover a significant amount of it for multiple uses.

Site Supporter
    S&B is good stuff for group shooting practice. I put 15 rounds downrange today at 15, 20, and 25 yards...with a called flyer or two.

If I weren't so sucky it'd be a better group.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Olstyn, you remind me of myself. For decades I kept up with component costs down to the penny. Today I'm sitting on at least a ton of lead and a large supply of powders and primers bought when prices were greatly lower. I've even got a crate of same brand once fired and cleaned .45 brass that's so heavy that I can't move it. Now that I've said all that, I'll let S&B melt the lead, cast and lube the bullets, prime the cases, add powder and bullet and then pull the handle for 1 penny per round.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Now that I've said all that, I'll let S&B melt the lead, cast and lube the bullets, prime the cases, add powder and bullet and then pull the handle for 1 penny per round.
    For sure, if it was really only 1 penny/round, but that number was based on recovering zero brass after shooting, so the real savings would be noticeably higher. Presuming 80% recovery and at least 4 loading cycles (most straight-wall pistol cases can do quite a few more than that), 3000 pieces of brass is effectively over 8800 pieces, which makes the per-piece cost more like $0.023, which would make the real savings more like 5-6 cents/round. Whether that's a large enough savings to justify the time and effort of reloading is of course something each person has to judge for themselves.

No skin off of my back if you want to pay S&B to do the work for you; I just saw your statement about not being able to reload it for that price and thought "That can't be right," which sent me down a google/math rabbit hole.

User Tag List