Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Instructors: #2 (Retention shooting) position question....Two different draw strokes?

Site Supporter
    Thank you.

Thank you gents!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    2 for a strong side hip presentation is the traditional thumb/pectoral index or retention position. 2 for an appendix carrier is high center chest. The thumb pectoral index or "traditional #2" does not exist within a standard appendix presentation.
    Very interesting.

Here's how I deal with these issues:

From strong side, I do and teach a pretty traditional four count presentation, with the 2 incorporated into the overall drawstroke. I also see the robot moves from new students, but as they get more used to performing the steps, it quickly becomes smoother.

From appendix, I teach two alternatives. If a person really really wants to have one drawstroke only, with minimal physical variation according to circumstance, then they can still draw 1-2-3-4 from appendix. The traditional 2 is a detour in there and will end up costing a little time.

I don't recall any of my students choosing that option though. They all make the same choice I do, which is to have an efficient draw when no retention position is needed, and a separate draw to the traditional 2 when retention is needed. If there is no need to draw to a retention position, then I just draw 1-3-4, which will be the most efficient from appendix. I think it's also worth noting that does factually incorporate a retention position (the 3) even though it may not be a priority under the circumstances and sometimes we are going to want the 2 instead of the 3. Separate from that, I can draw 1-2 when the circumstances dictate a tighter retention position.

I don't think those draw variations are too burdensome if they are practiced. Regardless of a variable presentation of 1-3-4/1-2 vs. a universal presentation of 1-2-3-4, a person will still have to recognize the need to draw to a retention position and then vary from their full drawstroke. Even a 1-2-3-4 person will have to shorten it to 1-2 or 1-2-3, thus deviating from their full presentation. So I think the complexity levels of the more physically bifurcated appendix draw and the decisionally, if not as physically, bifurcated traditional 1-2-3-4 draws are very similar.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post

From appendix, I teach two alternatives. If a person really really wants to have one drawstroke only, with minimal physical variation according to circumstance, then they can still draw 1-2-3-4 from appendix. The traditional 2 is a detour in there and will end up costing a little time.

I went that route for a bit when I first started shooting with the #2, which was close to when I started carrying AIWB. I am not the most clever or physically gifted people, and i know my capacity to screw something up is extremely large, so I took the detour method. And for some reason, the #2 was a bit hard for me. I could shoot well from it, but I was not satisfied with the consistency of my shooting from there. Every now and then , I would have a round that was off by an extra couple of inches. So I felt I needed to really groove in the position as much as possible, so during my almost daily dry fire practice, I added the adjustment to go to the #2 on every draw. I did that for probably about a year. Once I was satisfied with the consistency of hitting that position, I went to my current practice, of skipping that to go directly to the #3. I felt it helped me out, but I always saw it as a temporary measure.

Now in my dryfire, I do a few specific draws direct to the #2 just to keep things "oiled".

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I don't think those draw variations are too burdensome if they are practiced.
    I agree.

User Tag List