Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Affordable" pistol test: Part Deuce

If the Ruger didn't make the cut for the first test, i would probably just pick one of the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean O View Post
    Definitely narrowed the list down to these 3, unless someone comes up with another possible option.

1:Ruger 9E
    2:Canik TP9SA
    3:CZ999
    My vote is for the TP9SA, followed by the CZ999...
    "A man's character is his fate."

Some info on the CZ clones here: http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?board=27.0

Bill,

Was there a specific clone you were thinking of? The EAA was already ruled out, so let me know if you had another one in mind. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    "You have to go faster to get faster and wasted motion is dumb."

Site Supporter
    I would do the 9e ruger. It seems to be the most direct competitor to the sd9. I bet those two pistols are cross shopped heavily by the budget minded.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    I would do the 9e ruger. It seems to be the most direct competitor to the sd9. I bet those two pistols are cross shopped heavily by the budget minded.
    An excellent point.

The P95 used to occupy the space of the 9e basically fills now, and was the most common comparison to the SIGMA/SV/SD.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean O View Post
    Bill,

Was there a specific clone you were thinking of? The EAA was already ruled out, so let me know if you had another one in mind. Thanks.
    Nothing specific. There are a lot of CZ clones out there. I don't even know what is available. I shoot a real CZ. I think I saw somewhere that there are some original surplus CZ's being imported.

I'd be interested in either the cz999 or the TP9sa.

The 999 for the reasons stated, that there seems to be little long term data for it in the wild.

The Canik more for seeing well recorded data. I know that people have models that have been through a few K with no issues. I'd just love to have specifics.

I think I'd lean a bit to the 999 as there seems a bit more unexplored ground there, and it might be a diamond in the rough as it were.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I might recommend a Canik, but not the TP9...now a CZ clone Canik with some CGW goodies...that would be rad

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Nothing specific. There are a lot of CZ clones out there. I don't even know what is available. I shoot a real CZ. I think I saw somewhere that there are some original surplus CZ's being imported.
    Some clarification on "CZ clones".

Tanfoglio was the first firm to mass produce CZ 75 clones, back in the Cold War days when the genuine article was unobtanium in the West. When the wall fell, the folks in Italy had to find ways to compete with CZs no longer being embargoed.

So Tanfoglio redesigned their TZ75 to the modern gun we Yanks know as the EAA Witness. The Witness features a redesigned sear, relocated mainspring assembly and a different ejector and FPB setup from the CZ75 .Its a conceptually better design then the original CZ in many respects, but none of it matters for us Americans because EAA sucks worse then the African RUF. Buy any Tanfoglio design here and you're totally on your own for logistical help.

Where the waters get murky is that Tanfoglio licensed their redesign to many different firms over the years, and those companies have made their own guns with distinct marketing. Unfortunately they share the same logistical drawbacks the original Tanfoglio has, so if you end up with a " CZ clone" which uses the Italian lockwork you'll have an orphan gun. Parts between the CZ75 and Tanfoglio small frame guns do NOT interchange besides the magazines.

Case in point; park a polymer IWI Jericho next to a CZ P07 and they'd almost look like the same company made them. But the IWI handgun uses the Italian internals.

So, back to budget guns. Not only does eliminating EAA mean cutting Tanfoglio and SAR products, it also means eliminating any clone thereof of those products.

How to tell the difference?

Tanfoglio based guns omit the long hammer spring and strut in the grip , as the release parts are all located in the back 1/4 of the frame. This is why large caliber Tanfoglios are more ergonomic then CZs chambered in .45 on account of the thinner front to back grip.

If a CZ like gun has a mainspring cap and hammer spring iin the grip, it uses the CZ based lockwork; which means it can possibly be serviced using CZ parts in the US if need be.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List