Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Affordable" pistol test: Part Deuce

My vote is to the Canik TP9 DA/SA or a Turkish clone of something. Would be interesting to see.

Site Supporter
    Another vote against EAA. Really enjoyed your first test with the S&W.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    . In other words, the slide must cycle before the trigger will drop the striker.

Correction… the CPX-2 (and the LCP) have a hammer/firing pin. I've been too long farting around with those "economy" pistols; they're all starting to run together in my head.

But the slide must still cycle before the trigger is reset on the SCCY pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    We're starting to see more of the CPX-2s in the lab… and that thing is right up there with the KelTec P11 (or whatever the 9mm version is) and the Bryco 59/Jennings Nine as my least favorite pistol to test-fire. This is due to the sharp recoil "slap" these guns deliver. Its a combination of light weight and piss-poor ergos. Well, the Bryco/Jennings certainly isn't light; its just an abortion, period.
    I was going to suggest the SCCY, simply because I see them all over, but know no one who has ever fired one, and would like to see a review.
    Guess I just did.
    (And the P11 is the Keltec 9mm that uses S&W 59 mags. The PF9 is their single stack.)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Looking for reviews, I feel like the Canik has proven itself to be a decent pistol already. Not sure it is worth testing?

TGS- Good point on the 9E, I'm just wondering if it is still worth testing since the price point might make some question the reliability. Of course some folks I know feel that way about any centerfire pistol that has 'RUGER' on it.

The Zastava is really interesting to me. I am having trouble sourcing mags for it though, only finding people who say "YOU CAN MODIFY BRAND X TO WORK". Hard for me to recommend a pistol when you can't get spare mags for it, even if the pistol works well. (Yes I understand the target audience for this pistol is VERY unlikely to think they need more than two mags, but still...)
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    "You have to go faster to get faster and wasted motion is dumb."

"Affordable" pistol test: Part Deuce

Quote Originally Posted by Sean O View Post
    Looking for reviews, I feel like the Canik has proven itself to be a decent pistol already. Not sure it is worth testing?

TGS- Good point on the 9E, I'm just wondering if it is still worth testing since the price point might make some question the reliability. Of course some folks I know feel that way about any centerfire pistol that has 'RUGER' on it.

The Zastava is really interesting to me. I am having trouble sourcing mags for it though, only finding people who say "YOU CAN MODIFY BRAND X TO WORK". Hard for me to recommend a pistol when you can't get spare mags for it, even if the pistol works well. (Yes I understand the target audience for this pistol is VERY unlikely to think they need more than two mags, but still...)
    AIM has 'em for $20.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...New&groupid=16

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's what I get for googling instead of just searching AIM first, thanks Fred!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean O View Post
    That's what I get for googling instead of just searching AIM first, thanks Fred!
    No sweat. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I vote the CZ999. It's a TDA Sig clone that I believe could potentially be a practical low cost pistol. I am tempted to pick one up.

The price of the CZ999 is perfect and the price for spare mags that FredM linked to is hard to beat. It has taken the lead for my interest for sure, especially since every review I have seen so far is the typical 'first impressions' and 'flawless for 100 rounds' variety. Could be interesting.

The only thing holding me back a little is the fact that it is a TDA. While that is truly the appeal for ME I debate on its appeal to a new shooter on a budget compared to the TP9/9E etc.
    That being said since I did a striker gun last year it could be a good thing having an affordable TDA option (hopefully). I know I am overthinking this (again).

Definitely narrowed the list down to these 3, unless someone comes up with another possible option.

1:Ruger 9E
    2:Canik TP9SA
    3:CZ999

User Tag List